Mount Pocono Travel Guide

The Skytop Lodge
  • Things to Do

Mount Pocono Things to Do

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 16, 2008

Tobyhanna is a tiny village in the Poconos, not too far from some of the bigger resorts in the area. Tobyhanna has a huge Army Depot, and Tobyhanna State Park covers some 5,000 acres with a nice lake. Otherwise, all you are likely to see in the town is the old stone Church of St Ann.

Tobyhanna is derived from an American Indian word meaning “a stream whose banks are fringed with alder.”

When I lived in Boston, I frequently drove through Tobyhanna as a scenic alternative to the high traffic areas of I-81 around Wilkes Barre & Scranton. I also attended a wedding at St Ann's in 2008.

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 16, 2008

Skytop is a historic stone lodge built in the Poconos in 1928. The lodge has three private lakes, an outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, and a golf course.

We visited in the fall of 2008 for a wedding reception. We were amazed at the old stone front of the building, but pleased with the modern conference center recently added to the back of the hotel. During the reception, we wandered around the hotel, enjoying the ancient elevator, the secret stairways, the mini golf, and the little bar in the basement. This was a great little place for an exceptional wedding reception, but rooms are ridiculously expensive, starting at $300 a night and only going up from there!

• Mount Pocono Hotels

9 Hotels in Mount Pocono

Mount Pocono Hotels

Mount Pocono Restaurants

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 16, 2008

Hickory Valley Restaurant has been at this location for decades (but it is now for sale). My girlfriend ate there as a kid, and we recently returned some 20+ years later! They still have the same frying pans instead of plates, and very good food at reasonable prices. I had a great little omelet with a pile of toast and coffee for about $9 (add home fries for another $1). I have since sworn off the use of plates and only eat breakfast out of the frying pan it was cooked in. Using fewer dishes prevents global warming I think.

The service was about average, the food above average, and this restaurant was very busy.

Open 7am to 3pm.

Instant Answers: Mount Pocono

Comments

Mount Pocono Travel Guide
Map of Mount Pocono