Paradise Travel Guide

rural Amish country is a joy ride
    just one of many covered bridges in PA
    by richiecdisc
  • bad timing perhaps, as I am caught in the act
    bad timing perhaps, as I am caught in...

Paradise Hotels

Satisfaction: Terrible

Good for: Families

Paradise Restaurants

by richiecdisc Updated Aug 25, 2003

This place was open for 53 years and remained a local institution throughout but on doing some research on the Net, I found it closed down for good just a few days ago (August 2003). It was a no frills diner that was always busy.

Favorite Dish: The extensive menu was full of Pennsylvania Deutsch specialites like scrapple and potato stuffing, all at very fair prices.

hokey perhaps, but Zinn's was a local dinner

by richiecdisc Written Aug 25, 2003

Stoudt's is one of America's great breweries and certainly the Amish country's crown jewel in the world of beer. As would be expected of this Germanic area, they began their assault on the beer world with some of the finest lagers brewed on this side of the Atlantic, but have since expanded into both English and Belgian style ales with great gusto as well. The pub is in an art deco style, right out of New Orleans and is very cosy. They provide great local pretzels on the bar for free too.

Favorite Dish: They have a fantastic cheese plate, many from local producers for $9 that goes very well with their large selection of draft beers.

Stoudt's as the sun goes down

• Paradise Hotels

2 Hotels in Paradise

Paradise Transportation

by richiecdisc Updated Aug 26, 2003

The modern and most convenient way to get around Amish country is to drive. It's only a little over an hour west from Philadelphia and though you could get around by bus, it is far nicer to be able to stop when you like for taking photos. Amish beliefs forbid the use of motorized modes of transport so you will see them going from place to place via horse drawn buggyies, always in black, of course.

typical horse drawn buggy of Amish country

Paradise Off The Beaten Path

by richiecdisc Written Aug 25, 2003

Victory is another of PA's finest, and again, one of the best in the whole USA. Their Hop Devil won domestic beer of the year just a couple years ago. They produce a huge array of beers and just about everything is great, especially their Germanic interpretations. Their pub food is tasty and with such a big selection of beers, some of which are quite strong, it is a good idea to have some food with them! It is located at 420 Acorn Lane in Downingtown PA. It is not in Amish country but on my way home back to NJ so just had to stop in for a brew or two. ;=>

a tired Doreen later that night

Paradise Favorites

by richiecdisc Updated Aug 26, 2003

Fondest memory: It was just a case of bad timing I guess. I had wanted to get a few photos of the locals when traveling around Amish country one fine September afternoon and not realizing it was against their beliefs, I merely was too shy to ask permission. I positioned myself behind a tree and got a nice one of a woman passing in her horse-drawn black buggy but with a farmer approaching with hay on his rig, I braced myself for a real coup. But I noticed he had caught view of me and was waving me off frantically. I didn't realize that the tree I had chosen was right next to his barn and he was on his way back to drop off his load. I was confused but snapped it anyway, and quickly got in my car and drove away. It was only as he pulled into the driveway from where I had just pulled out, that I realized why he was so vehement with his hands. It wasn't my taking his picture, it was my car was in his way.

bad timing perhaps, as I am caught in the act

by richiecdisc Written Aug 25, 2003

Favorite thing: One thing that cannot be missed when driving around Amish country are the fantastic array of covered bridges that are an intrinsic part of the rural area. There were about 1500 of them built by the turn of the century and they were an important component of commerce in the 19th century. They were covered to protect the structures and make them more durable, but today they are symbols of romance. They are referred to as kissing bridges as these very covers provided a getaway for young lovers. Regardless of the view held, they provide great scenes especially in fall with the turning leaves and crisp air.

just one of many covered bridges in PA

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Paradise? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Paradise

Comments

Paradise Travel Guide
Map of Paradise