Alma de Cuba, Philadelphia

4.5 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

Chorizo sliders
    Mojitos y mas!
    by garridogal
    Beef tenderloin to die for
  • garridogal's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: Me Gusta! Me Gusta!

by garridogal Updated Aug 17, 2011

Mojitos y mas!

Imagine chic modern decor, fabulous lighting and cozy seating. Picture it during a major blizzard and top it off with Cuban inspired cuisine. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Well, that was my experience at Alma de Cuba. I'm half Cuban so I was particularly excited to try this restaurant and it did not disappoint. Muy rico!

Favorite Dish: I had a spinach and manchego cheese empanada as a starter. It was lovely. One of my friends had the chorizo slider and that is just as awesome as it sounds! For my main course I splurged and had the beef tenderloin which was cooked to perfection and served with chimichurri sauce (the stuff is addictive, I tell ya!), crab salad and some gorgeous asparagus. Yeah... I think I was the source of some major order-envy that night!

I also had some of the tostones con mojo that were ordered as an extra and of course, we had desserts. We tried the banana con tres leches and dulce de leche crepes.

Everything was delicious, the service was impeccable and we had a view to the windows so we could watch the storm blow by...!

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: Cubana

by evilprebil Updated Mar 16, 2007

Alma de Cuba is FABULOUS! I was lucky enough to go here when the now proprietor of Amada was still there. He developed most of the menu and it is wonderful. Definitely not street Cuban food, but I think a more authentic experience than Cuba Libre (which is good too!)

Favorite Dish: Ceviche sampler and the mojitos!

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: Trendy chic world cuisine

by asturnut Updated Nov 17, 2006

I went to Alma de Cuba this past summer for my birthday and had a lovely grown-up dinner with my husband sans the kids. We stayed at a hotel in the Rittenhouse Square area and wandered the neighborhood eyeballing restaurants and their menus until we found something that appealed. We found a real winner in Alma de Cuba. The ambiance is intimate, dimly lit, urban-chic for professionals and young couples- definitely not a good place for children. The pricey menu is an eclectic mix conceptually based on the flavors of Cuban cuisine. I opted for the tapas approach to a meal and ordered a bunch of small items in lieu of an entree. I thoroughly enjoyed 4 of the 5 items I chose.

The tab set us back quite a bit, but we had the table for as long as we wanted it, and our server was a true professional who made it her business to cater to her customers. I highly recommend Alma de Cuba for a intimate dinner for foodies who love to have their palates challenged.

Favorite Dish: I began my meal with what turned out to be my least favorite choice, the Sanchocho de Pollo. This soup consisted of a delicious lime, chicken and coconut broth with dry, overcooked chicken and mushy vegetables. The soup had nice flavors; I think perhaps I just caught it on an off day.

Then I had the Royal Palm dates. Although I had reservations about it when I ordered it, they turned out to be one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten in my entire life. This appetizer is a perfect combination of flavors- almond stuffed dates with bacon and Cabrales blue cheese served on lettuce boats. I could have eaten a whole entire plate of them. They were heavenly!

Next came the Empanada de Verde. These empanada (turnovers) were a tasty combination of Manchego cheese and spinach served on a artichoke escabeche. Parts of the escabeche were delicious, in particular the olives in the escabeche paired very well with the empanada. However, other parts of the vinegary escabeche just didn't mesh with the empanada and left a rancid overtone on my palate. I think it was a questionable pairing, but separately the empanada and escabeche would have been fine.

Then I had a delicious salad, that happily, I have been able to replicate at home: Ensalada Blanca. The salad of frise' lettuce, feta cheese, grapes, almonds and Amaretto gelatin may sound a little odd, but was truly delicious and inspired.

I completed my meal with a perfect cup of coffee and a dessert of the day. The artfully presented crepe was stuffed with fresh black cherries, homemade lemon-cardamom sorbet, and flavored whipped cream. Delectable!

• brad216's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: Mojito anyone???

by brad216 Written Nov 30, 2005

Bar and Lounge are of Alma de Cuba

This fantastic restaurant is one of many from world famous restauranteur Stephen Starr. This Cuban restaurant is located on Walnut Street, just a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square. This restaurant has an ultra-chic look and is frequented by the hip and famous of Philadelphia.

****Make sure you spend a Happy Hour at the bar*****. From 5-7 PM is Happy Hour and there is always a crowd enjoying the drink specials and complimentary tapas.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Cigar.

Award winning almond cake wrapped in chocolate mousse dusted with chocolate and served with dulce de leche ice cream. This dessert is worth the trip, even if not interested in having a full dinner. Just go and have a Mojito while sitting in the lounge and order a couple of these to go with your drinks.

• sweetee's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: Great lounge in Center City

by sweetee Written Aug 29, 2005

The food is pretty good in general. Nothing to die for except the smoked marlin appetizer. The main dining room upstairs is nice, but I prefer the downstairs lounge with it's chic, Cuban plantation feel. Have a few cocktails (and the smoked marlin app) in this place to be seen off of Rittenhouse Square.

Favorite Dish: Smoked Marlin Appetizer - Delicious blend of salty-sour flavors and soft-crunchy textures.

• Zarasher's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: simply the best!

by Zarasher Written Mar 21, 2005

This was just great. Nice atmosphere, comfortable and classy and the food was to die for. started off thinking e were just going t ooder a few starters and ended up going for a full three courses and spening about 200 dollars, but it was well worth it.

Favorite Dish: It was a fish dish... Cant remember exactly but it was heavenly!

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: Shining Starr

by ExGuyParis Written Apr 15, 2004

The Pause That Refreshes

One of the gems in Stephen Starr's restaurant galaxy, Alma de Cuba serves up delicious "creative Cuban" fare. Chef Douglas Rodriguez makes good things happen. The atmosphere is pleasant, the staff is attractive and attentive, the drinks are colorful...

This is a place I will continue to frequent.

Open for dinner 7 days a week.

Favorite Dish: Vaca Frita ("Fried Cow")
    Twice cooked crispy skirt steak with onions and Cuban oregano with black beans, white rice and tomato escabeche. A very large piece of beef, wonderfully prepared!

• mtwohig's Profile Photo

ALMA DE CUBA: ALMA DE CUBA

by mtwohig Written Aug 26, 2002

Wednesdays 9pm till Midnight hear the sounds of live Cuban Jazz & Dance music with 'The New Modern Cuban Jazz Quartet'

Sundays 10pm till 2am visit DJBrendan & Daniel 'Gravy' Thomas & go SOUL TRAVELIN as we spin soul, funk, & latin dance music to the hippest party in town. With special drink prices & a larger dance floor

Favorite Dish: I like everything! The food style is Modern Cuban cuisine inspired by the diversity of Cuban culture. Though the menu is their own interpretations traditional ethnic cooking inspires many of the dishes.

Instant Answers: Philadelphia

Comments

Hotels Near Alma de Cuba
4.5 out of 5 stars