Hoa Viet, Philadelphia

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Hoa Viet: a little taste of Saigon

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 12, 2010

A Vietnamese feast at Hoa Viet

I've been eating at one incarnation or another of this restaurant for about twenty years now, going back to my college days. It was originally a hole in the wall dive that disappeared and after not being able to find it for a couple of years, the owner still remembered me when I happened upon it. It went through a few years as a Asian market/BBQ place but was happy to see it open again with Vietnamese dishes and that the owner saw me across the street and waved me over to say it was back in business. It's much nicer now though the prices are still very cheap and the food quality is as if time stood still.

Favorite Dish: Pho is the Vietnamese staple and is a huge bowl of soup with rice noodles, garnished with thin raw slices of beef that cook right in the broth. Toss in soy beans, mint leaves, and chilies and it's a complete meal and is generally served as breakfast in Vietnam. Bun Thit Nuong is roasted pork over rice vermicelli, served cold like a salad. There must be 50 different soups and an extensive menu that I've yet to sample anything I've not liked.

Instant Answers: Philadelphia