Places to eat in Philadelphia

Most Viewed Restaurants in Philadelphia

• Over60's Profile Photo

Pub Restaurant near Rittenhouse Square: The Dandelion

by Over60 Written May 12, 2015

In search of a reasonably priced but nice restaurant in the Rittenhouse Square area, we rejected several high priced restaurants before settling on this reasonably priced but enjoyable place. An old house has been rennovated in the style of a British pub with what I would call upscale British bar food. The ambience is relaxing and appealing and the service attentive and first rate. The menu is expansive for bar food, and the quality of our meals was high. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Favorite Dish: Bangers and mash with a side salad. A simple dish very well prepared.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Gino's and Pat's King of Steaks: South Philly Steak and Cheese Restaurants

by atufft Written May 10, 2015

This is a Philadelphia as it gets, a steak and cheese sandwich. These two restaurants are right across from each other at the angled intersection of S. 9th Street and E. Passyunk Avenue. During this discovery visit, we had already eaten, and couldn't take in any more. There are also several bakeries and ice cream parlors in this area of South Philly. The architecture and murals in the area are also worth the visit.

South Philly Steak House South Philly Steak House South Philly Steak House
    • Architecture

• atufft's Profile Photo

Di Bruno Bros: Another Pricey Italian Condiments Store

by atufft Updated May 10, 2015

Every neighborhood needs an Italian shop devoted to cheeses, meats, and condiments, and for the Italian Market of Bella Vista in Philly, Di Bruno Bros is one of the best. But, expect to pay more than you should, and if you are a tourist, don't expect them to make you a sandwich. I made the mistake of accepting a sandwich made in the morning that was warm and frankly quite bad for the $8- that I paid for it. I also made the mistake of buying the last of a warm fish salad, which had really great ingredients of octopus, squid, and shrimp in herbed olive oil. The place was crowded with locals whom the shopkeepers favored, while service for a tourist like me was abrupt and ineffectual. I ended up being sold horrible leftovers, paying $20- for food that wouldn't pass inspection in my hometown metro of San Francisco. Sorry Di Bruno's but that's what happened during my visit. Hopefully your next tourist will feel differently.

Di Bruno Bros Market in Philly

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Lolita: Excellent Latin Dishes & Margaritas

by FatesWarn Written Mar 5, 2015

Lolita is a small space and was a little uncomfortable in the dead of winter with the cold air blowing in the doors (despite the thick curtains they use to try to prevent this), but the food was cozy and comforting, which helped me forget about outside for a bit.
    Second only to mango, passion fruit is one of my absolute favorites, and these guys went and put it in a margarita - look out! They are a perfect balance of sweet, sour, and salt, and pack a punch.

I have a chilaquiles (chill-a-key-lays) problem. I spot them on a menu and I'm done for. This version came with short rib and eggs with a verde sauce. The short rib was rich, but well balanced with the egg. I took half home and as promised by my server, this dish really was even better the next day.

• Photography
    • Museum Visits

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Su Xing House: Vegetarian Chinese Cuisine

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Jan 2, 2015

On my first afternoon in Philadelphia and my last evening, I ate at this vegetarian Chinese restaurant. The food was very good (hence the reason I went back and ordered the same eggplant doufu/toufu in garlic sauce dish as my main dish again the second time). On my first visit, I also had their hot and sour soup.

One of the waitresses was a little bit surly but the woman who I assume was the manager, and who greeted people as they entered, and took care of the bill/check was much friendlier though.

Address: 1508 Sansom Street. There is a Chinatown in Philadelphia, but this restaurant is not in Chinatown.

They are open for lunch and dinner.
    Their menu is online. I have provided their website, and a link to the menu below.

They do take-away as well, but I dined in on both occasions.
    There website at one instance says "Open 7 days", but then says "closed on Sundays".

They take cash and MasterCard and Visa.

Favorite Dish: Eggplant doufu/toufu in garlic sauce.

The eggplant is cooked to perfection, and the soft flesh melts in the mouth. The sauce coats the eggplant and doufu/toufu beautifully, and the flavour is very tantalising. It was an excellent dish for cold weather.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Smokin Betty's: Comfort food & BBQ

by apbeaches Written Nov 30, 2014

Bar & restaurant serving BBQ & home style New American eats in a roomy space that hops at happy hour. Generous portions, fresh food, quick & attentive service, reasonable prices ... no complaints! Nice menu that pleased everyone. Opened 12 to 12.

Favorite Dish: Enjoyed mahi mahi as well as short rib taco's.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Chloe: Modern international

by DSwede Written Oct 12, 2014

I walked by Chloe restaurant when I was trying to sniff out lunch. Its menu was memorable enough that I came back to try it for dinner when it was open. I was pleasantly surprised. Philadelphia has a reputation for good food and this place lived up to it.

It is a pretty small restaurant, maybe with 10 tables or so. Large groups would be difficult, but a casual meal for a few people would be easy.

Favorite Dish: I was in a seafood mood. I tried the scallops. Amazing! Simply put, one of the best - fresh, juicy, cooked perfectly, with a side of veggies.

The salads and pastas all looked and smelled good too, but I think I made the right choice.

They offer non-alcoholic drinks since it is BYOB, but the market next door has a wide selection of beers and wine.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Mulberry Market: A good deli and market. Large beer selection too

by DSwede Written Oct 12, 2014

After arriving in town, it was not quite a standard eating hour, so many of the restaurants were not serving and I also did not want a full sit-down meal. I asked around and some of the locals pointed me to Mulberry Market. It was perfect.

It is a small grocery and market, but also doubles as a small deli restaurant. You can eat in the back as they have many tables, or you can carry out. Shop while they make you lunch and it can be ready in just a few minutes.

Favorite Dish: They make an assortment of breakfast foods, burgers and sandwhiches. The sandwiches are obviously made fresh. The ingredients are also quite fresh and they stack the sandwhiches thick. I could make a habit out of this place.

Also many restaurants in Philadelphia are BYOB (bring your own beer) so they do not need to keep up with the hassles of liquor licenses. If you're dining in the area, this little market has a remarkably large selection of beers, all kinds from all around the world. They also have a few wines, but I did not look so much there.

Mulberry interior
    • Beer Tasting

• solopes's Profile Photo

Solefood: The best

by solopes Updated Jul 30, 2014

I had two memorable meals in the USA: One in San Francisco, that I describe in its page, and this one. Both eating fish, both perfect.

After a week eating meat... or meat, we desperately wanted fish, and, walking along the streets, we were searching for a promising fish restaurant. This one convinced us, and entering it was our best decision in the whole week.

A marvelous space, modern, with perfect illumination and great ambiance, "told" us that we were going to pay for the lunch.

That sensation was enhanced by the waiter when after noting my command, he solemnly announced that I had made the perfect choice: I was going to be the last human to eat such delicacy - Chilean sea bass capture had been prohibited, and, for unknown reasons blue crabs were not reproducing anymore, facing extinction.

I had a golden credit card, but, at that moment, it was screaming in my pocket.

Well, lunch was perfect, and the "fat" bill less than a half of what I was already expecting to pay.

The funny is that I was so impressed by the strange speech of the waiter that, once at home, I checked Internet, and found... that it was absolutely true.

I don't know if things are back to normal, with Chilean sea bass back to the American diets and blue crabs respecting their sexual obligation or not, but the pleasure's memory remains.

Great lunch!

Favorite Dish: Chilean Sea bass with blue crab sauce

Market St - Philadelphia

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Delilah's Southern Cuisine: Philly Southern Cuisine

by FatesWarn Updated Mar 1, 2014

*** This establishment is closed ***

Delilah's Southern Cuisine is located inside the Reading Terminal Market (which you should be visiting anyway). Delilah gets a lot of press since she was on a couple Throwdown challenges with Iron Chef Bobby Flay and because Oprah Winfrey named one of the dishes among the million things she will eat.
    I've read other reviews stating that the food was mediocre and overpriced and the service was poor. The food is priced correctly for Center City - unless you want a hot dog from a cart, you're going to pay at least $10 for a casual lunch in Philly. It is pretty good, and considering the reasonable price for a hot lunch, I would recommend it. The service - it's Philly, just accept it.
    Now about that Mac & Cheese - I've made and had better, so I can see why Bobby Flay won his throwdown (full disclosure - I am a huge fan of his restaurants). That said, it was pretty good, and I didn't have to go to a fine-dining establishment (and pay $15 or more) to get it.
    Overall, it's a nice place to stop if you're in or around the Market, but don't go out of your way.
    FYI: They are cash only.

Favorite Dish: The mac & cheese IS good - if I see it on the (adult) menu at any restaurant, I'm going to order it. The corn bread is awesome and the black eyed peas and rice is great too (I would have preferred the red beans and rice, but I was "sampling" my husband's lunch).

• Business Travel
    • Museum Visits

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Taqueria La Veracruzana: Suprisingly good Mexican at the Italian Market!

by mccalpin Updated Nov 30, 2013

Taqueria La Veracruzana is a sort of "hole in the wall" place just off the south end of the Italian Market in Philadelphia. But the quality of the food is far better than the ambiance.

This isn't Tex-Mex, but Mexican from Veracruz, a seaport town on the Gulf side of Mexico.

When we were there, about half the clientele were "gringos", so don't feel odd about going in...

Favorite Dish: I had the "torta" that was "Milanese de Rez". This is really pretty much a chicken fried steak sandwich...with large peppers included !!! Delete the peppers (unless you're so inclined) and it's quite edible.

The Official Spousal Unit had tacos with camarones (shrimp tacos) - she scarfed them.

The MIL had quesadillas...the only problem was that instead of 1 quesadilla as you would get in a Tex-Mex restaurant, there were three - far more than she could eat.

All in all, fresh food that was well done...

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Chifa: Peru meets Chinese

by shrimp56 Written Sep 16, 2012

As the website states this cuisine is Jose Garces "take" on the influence of Chinese workers' food in Peru. For the most part the marriage of cuisines is totally delicious. We really enjoyed our dinner here, but it was helped by our server, who had been with Garces from the beginning. It also helped that we were near the back of what was a very lively evening at Chifa. Great to go with friends and/or a group. Mostly small portions makes sharing the thing to do.

Favorite Dish: That is difficult, but I'd have to say the BBQ Pork sliders. They were small, but mighty!

A lot of what we ordered were the daily specials, often slightly different versions of items on the menu, hence my difficulty in identofying everything.

BBQ Pork Sliders at Chifa

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Amada: Spanish Tapas from an Iron Chef

by shrimp56 Written Oct 24, 2011

Jose Garces was the Iron Chef America winner two years ago. Amada is his first restaurant although he has now expanded his Philadelphia empire to 5 eating emporiums. We had a good experience, but not a great one. We have good food and good tapas in Chicago so we have a bit of a standard. The exceptional dish was the pictured Queso de Cabra. The tomato sauce was fresh, the cheese perfectly melty and the bread crisp and fresh. The Serrano ham and the pictures Patatas Bravas were very good, the other tapas I can't even remember.

The decor was simple, but attractive. The service was good and our neighbors nicely chatty. [Tapas tend to do that]. If would have felt like a better experience if we hadn't had twoo amazing dinners the two following evenings.

Favorite Dish: Queso de Cabra [see above]

Restaurant facade Queso de Cabra Patatas Bravas

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Tavern 17 - Radisson Hotel, Rittenhouse Square

by Ewingjr98 Updated Oct 10, 2011

Tavern 17 is about what you would expect from a hotel restaurant: expensive, poor service, average food, yet--somehow--always busy despite dozens of nearby restaurants that offer much better fare.

For some reason, I have been here twice. The first was late in the evening, and we grabbed a few beers and watched the Phillies lose in the first round of the playoffs. The beer selection is pretty good, and the prices affordable (maybe $4.50 for a micro brew draft).

My second visit was for breakfast, and it was a disappointment. Since the menu was seriously lacking basic breakfast foods, I settled for the eggs Benedict (about $10 or $12) with coffee. The muffins on the Benedict was a cheap-o Thomas' English muffin or a generic equivalent, the eggs bland, the hollandaise almost without taste. At least the potatoes were good, and the coffee had free refills.

Also, the service was terrible, especially when our waiter disappeared for 15 minutes just as we were trying to check out. I guess his smoke break was more important than his tip.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Jones Restaurant - Center City

by Ewingjr98 Updated Oct 9, 2011

A friend of our who has lived in the city a few years was raving about Jones Restaurant, particularly their meatloaf, so we were exciting to try this modern American cuisine in a hip, urban setting with many retro design elements. The food was outstanding and the service great; the only drawback was the tiny little airplane-style bathrooms.

Our visit began in Manayunk, and we didn't arrive until nearly 10pm since we took the SEPTA train. We were quickly seated near the open kitchen, and the waiter also filled us in on the day's drink specials. The girls had the special watermelon spritzers ($9 each), a fruity cocktail that would probably get you too drunk too fast if you drank too many. The guys had local beers: the Yards Brawler for me and a Walt Wit Belgian White for my friend ($6.50 per beer). For our meals we had two of the meatloaf entrees ($15 each), one of their pesto scallop specials ($22) and the brisket dinner ($19). My scallops were delicious--pesto being one of my favorite sauces certainly helped; they were served with a tasty garden salad, but pretty expensive for just four large sea scallops. The brisket was tender and juicy, but their sauce wasn't the best I've had. The meatloaf was very tender, flavorful, and a good value for the price.

I returned a few years later, and it was still exactly as I remembered--same good service, good food, and tiny bathrooms. On this visit I had the seared sesame ahi tuna over white coconut rice with a snow pea salad. It was delicious, but a disappointingly small portion with only 5-6 small slices of tender tuna.

Reservations are not accepted, and they claim the dress is casual, but it might be just a hair fancier than that!

Philadelphia Hotels

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Windsor Suites
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Philadelphia

Comments

Philadelphia Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Philadelphia locals.
Map of Philadelphia