Philly Cheese Steaks, Philadelphia

how to order
    by sweet_sentiments
    Cooking the meat!
    by Gypsystravels
    Piling the meat on the bun
    by Gypsystravels
  • spgood301's Profile Photo

Philly Cheese Steaks: Cheesesteaks? Of course, you're in Philly!

by spgood301 Written Mar 5, 2006

I had my first genuine Philly cheesesteak at Sonny's, on Market Street near the Old City. For Sonny's classic cheesesteak, they pile on a mountain of meat, mix in grilled onions and spray Cheese Wiz. That's right, Cheese Wiz. I never knew there was a use for that stuff.

The result is a genuine Philadelphia delicacy that's oh so good, yet probably oh so bad for you. But, what the heck, you're in Philly!

By the way, I was told by my VT friend Katmosphere (who grew up in South Jersey) to have my cheesesteak with hot peppers. Sonny's didn't have those, but I will find a place that does before I leave. And, of course, I'll tell you how it was too.

• RheaM's Profile Photo

Geno's: Can't beat this!

by RheaM Written Apr 3, 2008

Geno's Cheesesteaks in the heart of South Philly. What more can you say? This is one yummy place. Don't be intimidated by the locals and the neighborhood. This is a hot tourist spot as well. Geno's is long famous for their Cheesesteaks and man are they good. They have a different style to their meat than other places. Geno's leaves the meat long and flat rather than chopping it to bits. I can honestly say I like both. They have amazing bread and good cheese. I am not a big fan of cheeze whiz so I went for the provolone, but my hubby's with cheese whiz was pretty tasty too!

Favorite Dish: Cheesesteak and amazing cheese-fries!!!

• bct341's Profile Photo

Steve's Prince of Steaks: Philly Cheesesteaks

by bct341 Updated Aug 9, 2003

Steve's Prince Of Steaks

Everyone has heard of Philly Cheesesteaks and here in Philadelphia people are always finding the "best" place to get one. The famous establishments, Pats and Gino's have become more a tourist destination instead of serving up quality cheesesteaks.

I will not say that Steve's has the best cheesesteaks in the city... but, they are darn good and are always mentioned in the local newspapers when they go searching for the the best cheesesteaks in Philly. You need to know your cheesesteaks and how you want them. With cheese whiz.. yes, I know how that sounds but people like it or with other types of cheese.

So, don't let the looks of these establishments fool you, they have great food and do offer other sandwiches and Hoagies.
    Regardless where you go to try your cheesesteak, don't leave Philadelphia without at least having one. The trick will be to limit yourself to only one :)

Favorite Dish: Mushroom Cheesesteak with onions mmmm getting hungry just thinking about it haha

• LHOON's Profile Photo

Pat's, and Geno's: The Real Cheese Steak

by LHOON Written Apr 20, 2003

Pat's Steaks, Philadelphia

Don't go to Philadelphia without sampling a real Philly cheese steak. The most famous places are Pat's and Geno's, adjacent to eachother on Passyunk Ave in the south side of the town.

Favorite Dish: Cheese steak of course!

• mannymiami's Profile Photo

Genos's Philly Cheesesteak: When in Philly do as the Philadelphians do.

by mannymiami Written Mar 31, 2003

Philly is the home of the Phila Cheesesteak Sandwich and in the heart of South Philly this is the place to come for a Cheesesteak Sandwich. Have it with provolne cheese or cheesewiz sauce, have with mushrooms or as a pizza steak sand or have it plain , no matter how you have it its all good... Whether you have one here at Genos or at any neighborhood sandwich shop when in Philly do as the Philadelphians do, Have a steak sandwich and enjoy.... mmmmm so good....

• lewster's Profile Photo

Tony Luke's Old Philly Style Sandwiches: The REAL best cheesesteak in Philly!

by lewster Updated Apr 1, 2003

Tony Luke's, Philadelphia PA, USA

Forget Pat's and Geno's (even if they ARE open 24 hours) and head on over to Tony Luke's for the best cheesesteak in Philly! They have limited hours (business hours, with extended evening hours in the summer), but if you go when they're open you're in for a treat (just remember, for every authentic Philly cheesesteak you eat remember to subtract five years off your life expectancy due to the grease and cholesterol ...).

Favorite Dish: "Cheesesteak, Wiz, with!"

Native Philly cheesesteak afficionados should understand this lingo. If you don't understand it, order one to try an authentic Philly cheesesteak (note, it's "Wiz with" and not "with Wiz", as the "with" actually means "with fried onions")!

I typically also get hot peppers, although that is no longer considered an "authentic" Philly cheesesteak.

• Philly Cheese Steaks: Pat's and Geno's = Over-rated hype!

by Rhino74 Written Mar 20, 2006

Down in Philly, all the hype of Pat's vs. Geno's, let me tell you, they both are over-rated. Steaks are decent...better than average, but to get down there, wait in line to be treated like your a piece of crap to them, then if you get to sit, you'll be doing so in a pile of garbage at a table covered in Ketchup and Cheese Wizz. Oh, and to get a drink or fries wit dat steak, plan another half hour wait in a separate line while your steak goes cold.

Favorite Dish: Eating elsewhere is the best plan!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Larry's Steaks and Hoagies

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 6, 2006

Larry's opened in 1956 and since then it has enjoyed a reputation for offering some of the best cheese steaks in a city known for its cheese steaks! Right across the street from St Joseph's University, it is a favorite among college students and other locals. The steak is ground perfectly and they don't use cheez whiz like some of the other famous Philly cheese steak joints.

If you are really hungry or just want to share, try their famous bellyfiller.

Other famous cheese steak places in town include Pat's and Geno's, but many locals will claim these are overrated tourist attractions... stick to Larry's!

• sweet_sentiments's Profile Photo

Pats: Don't leave Philly without trying this!

by sweet_sentiments Written Aug 1, 2013

pats

I've always liked Pat's so it's what I will recommend.

They don't need those flashy lights to prove anyone their better. They're just your low key philly cheese steak place that locals like me go to.

Favorite Dish: 1 wiz wit!
    and
    cheese fries

• Singles

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Philly Cheese Steaks: A traditional cheesesteak in the diner

by ChadSteve1975 Written Aug 27, 2006

Get your steak here

The Philly Cheesesteak is a food group. With Cheese and steak forming part of the name you know what you're getting.

I decided upon Sonny's Famous Steaks for the location of my lunch in Philly. Its right down towards the river along Market St.

The place doesn't look much but its fairly busy with tourists. And well it looks like a cute diner.

If you don't like the steak, have the chicken. Or there are other choices to satisfy everyone.

Favorite Dish: Philly Cheesesteak.

I went the $8.50 lunch special. Which came with a soft drink and fries.

Warning it's not for the health conscious. They use the most oily looking cheese wiz stuff around for the cheese unless you ask for real cheese. In retrospect I should have done this.

But the serving is huge. And if you think you're going to make it through the drink and fries too, good luck.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Street Vendor: Local Food On The Go

by Mikebb Updated Jul 28, 2008

the Philly Cheese Steak Street Vendor

We completed our tour of the Independence Hall and were on our way to find a cafe for a light lunch when we walked past the street vendor. I would have stopped and purchased the local offering but continued as we wanted hot coffee and a good seat to enjoy a sit down lunch.

The local fare of Philly Cheese Steak looked good but we were back on our coach in an hour for the trip to New York City and I thought it prudent to eat something my stomach was more used to.

• Delessandro's: Roxbourough Is the Hidden Secret

by jakeal25 Written Nov 22, 2004

Greatest Cheesesteak in the Philly area, better than Pat's, Geno's, Steve's, Jim's, and Stocky's! On Ridge Avenue in the Roxbourough section of the city!!! Also use the best rolls in the world!

Favorite Dish: Philly Cheesesteak

• NitnyLeo's Profile Photo

Pat's King Of Steaks: Home Of The Original Philly Cheesesteak

by NitnyLeo Updated Sep 22, 2002

Pat's

Just a sidewalk sandwich shop open 24-7 in South Philly, that is the self-proclaimed originator of the "Philly Cheesesteak".

Favorite Dish: Personally, I don't care much for the cheez-wiz (or whatever it is). But if you get it with just the sauce and the hot peppers, it is delicious. (Actually, the best cheesesteak (made with provolone) I ever had was at a hole-in-the-wall across from Temple University on Broad St....I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name). But, no matter where you get your cheesesteak, I can't imagine anyone in Philly making a bad one.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Pat's Steakhouse: The #1 philly cheesesteak

by goingsolo Updated Oct 15, 2004

Pat's King of Steaks

There is a running competition in Philly over who has the best cheesesteaks: Pat's King of Steaks or neighboring Geno's. But, there's really no doubt about it. Pat's has the best cheesesteaks!

The tiny stand alone shacklike structure is Pat's only restaurant and has been in business for over 70 years. But people come for miles to get the greasy concoction smothered in cheez wiz (I was skeptical of this too at first, but don't change what works so well)

• ayeta's Profile Photo

Jim's Steak: my cheese steak

by ayeta Updated Apr 26, 2012

Don't be surprise if you find this place with a long line even on a regular day. I once waited almost an hour to get my cheese steak which didn't bother me since I sometimes drove 2 hours from NJ just to have a taste of this. It's that good! at least for me. Don't expect to find a decent nice place because there really isn't much space to eat. The place is almost always crowded whenever I go in their South St branch. Eat it while it's hot, it will get soggy if you wait too long.

Favorite Dish: I like my cheese steak made with toasted roll, provolone/swiss cheese and mushrooms. You can have it done the way you want it.

Instant Answers: Philadelphia