The City Tavern, Philadelphia

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The City Tavern: 18th Century restaurant in Philadelphia

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 7, 2007

View of The City Tavern

We wanted to dine at the City Tavern for dinner because we wanted to keep with the historic theme of our day.

The original City Tavern was built in 1773. It hosted the likes of George Washington and other notables of the 18th century. Taverns were where business was conducted and social connections were made.

The present City Tavern, a replica of the original, was built in 1976. The wait staff wear 18th century style clothing and the room is furnished in Federal style. The tavern looks like an authentic gathering spot from the 1700's. It offers entrees like the Martha Washington Style Turkey Pot pie or the Apple Wood Smoked Pork Chops for dinner.

• Reznut's Profile Photo

The City Tavern: Timeless Cuisine

by Reznut Updated Jul 29, 2006

This was a wonderful experience. The architecture, the decor, the music, and the staff's clothing are all 18th century. The food was delicious and the staff were very friendly. I went slightly before the dinner rush so I was able to enjoy it without the crowds. They lit a candle at my table and I simply enjoyed losing myself in the 18th century. Though it was a bit pricey, it is very much worth the money. You must not miss this experience!

Favorite Dish: For my salad, I tried the tomato and onion dish. For the entree, I had the Medallions of Beef Tenderloin dish. All was delicious. Oh and the bread for starters are incredible!

If you like beer, you must try the ale sampler. My favourite was the Poor Richard Ale, which is Benjamin Franklin's recipe. It was FANTASTIC!

• SMeeds's Profile Photo

The City Tavern: The City Tavern

by SMeeds Written Aug 24, 2002

Excellent food in 'historic' surroundings. Even the waiters are dressed in costume, and you drink out of pewter goblets.

Favorite Dish: Really interesting old recipes, well presented and reasonably priced (even cheap if you're from Britain!). Average lunch-time main course around $10-11. I enjoy visting the USA, and I am usually pleased with the food. I expect quantity and a reasonable price, but here I also got the quality I aim for in Europe.

• MCIFARETTO's Profile Photo

The City Tavern: A landmark !!

by MCIFARETTO Written Jun 4, 2004

$$$$ is the only problem with this place. Our average cost with two adults and two kids, two beers and dessert is running $125.00. Food and atmosphere is worth it all. Make a res. before you go and have a good time.

Instant Answers: Philadelphia