White Dog Cafe, Philadelphia

by GUYON
  • White Dog Cafe
    by BFinn
  • White dog saves leg, founds Theosophical Society
    White dog saves leg, founds Theosophical...
    by ExGuyParis
  • ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

White Dog Cafe: Madame Blavatsky's Dog Lived Here

by ExGuyParis Updated Apr 4, 2011

White dog saves leg, founds Theosophical Society

I have a warm spot in my heart for the White Dog Cafe for several reasons. First, I went to the bar quite often, years ago, while I was getting my Masters Degree at Penn, and had many a philosophical discussion with my best friend, who also was a student. I can't even imagine how many plates of nachos we polished off (and how many beers).

Second, the atmosphere and "aura" of the place. The "mission" of the Whie Dog Cafe is to "serve our customers, serve our community, serve our earth, and serve each other," and it is clear that everyone associated with the place takes these four things seriously.

Third, the food, always surprising and wonderful.

Visit the web site to get a sense of this place, and visit the restaurant for fine food and drink.

Be sure to visit the shop next to the restaurant, The Black Cat. http://www.blackcatshop.com/

open every day for lunch and dinner. Sunday brunch. The grill stay open late, for a late meal.

Favorite Dish: The house beer, "Leg Lifter Lager."
    The food, defined as "contemporary American," is eclectic and incorporates plot twists from many cultures. A few samples: Roasted Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears and French Lentil Salad, with warm local Greystone Farms goat cheese, organic baby frisée salad, aged balsamic dressing; Crispy Asian Five-Spice Duck Breast with Sweet and Sour Raspberry Glaze, cashew-scallion fried rice, and steamed baby bok choy; Pan-Fried Corn Crusted Pocono Spring’s Rainbow Trout over Rock Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya, with tomatoes, sweet peppers, basmati rice and long cooked greens.

• Beth75NJ's Profile Photo

White Dog Cafe: Amazing Brunch!

by Beth75NJ Updated Oct 27, 2005

This is my favorite place in Philly. A friend took me there for brunch and it was AMAZING! the bloody mary's are awesome! they call them a 'blood hound' YUM! we sat downstairs by the bar in the windows, it was a bit tight, but the food was awesome!

Favorite Dish: oh man, now i forget what i got but i don't think you can go wrong.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

White Dog Cafe: A well known address

by GUYON Updated Dec 13, 2003

White Dog Cafe

The neighbor shop is the Black Cat (naturally)

Favorite Dish: Dinner entrees : 14 - 23$, Lunch & brunch entrees : 7 - 12$, grill items : 3 - 9$, Children's menu : 2 - 5$ + tax and 17% minimum of gratuity (if you give less the waiter claims). For us : 65$ for three.

• lopaki421's Profile Photo

White Dog Cafe: They take reservations

by lopaki421 Written Oct 19, 2003

This is a fun, lively place near the Universtity of Pennsylavania - and the crowd is eclectic, not only students. The food is really good - I had a vegetarian dish that was delicious. My partner had seafood. We shared a desert that was huge enough for both. I'd go again.

Instant Answers: Philadelphia

Comments

Hotels Near White Dog Cafe
3.5 out of 5 stars