City Tavern, Philadelphia

by mrclay2000
  • jne7299318's Profile Photo

Best Meal (and drinks) I've ever Had

by jne7299318 Written Apr 6, 2007

Reconstructed inn that was once visited by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin, is a very elegant restuarant
    that will take you back in time. Our visit to the restuarant occured during restaurant week (special three course meal for $30.00). We could have also chosen food from the regular menu. Due to budget restrictions, my company and I chose the fixed price meal, but a trip back to this restaurant would be worth every penny spent.

The food was fabulous!!! Two years later, I can still taste the crabcakes that I had. The Creme Brulee was so light (unlike most that I've had ) it melted in your mouth. And the drinks. I don't remember what the drink was called but it was a mixture of spiced rum and apple cider seved in a nice sized glass. Not a drinker, I had two.

The docents ,dressed in period clothing, frequently stopped by to give us information about the Inn. However, after awhile I found the interuptions to our conversation to be annoying. Eventually, the docent did stop coming by.

If you are a wine drinker they have one of the most extensive and expensive wine lists that I've ever seen. The lunch menu has many of the same items as the dinner menu, but a few dollars cheaper.

A great culinary experience. Try it.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo

City Tavern

by mrclay2000 Written Jan 7, 2006

outside view

This is not one of the million oft-called places "wherein Washington slept," but it is a re-creation of a building (said to be true to the original in the last detail) where Washington probably shared a pint with other Founding Fathers. The original on this site burned down in the mid 1970s. Today's building is a wonderful 18th-century copy, complete with an operating dining hall, rooms endowed with wonderful old wooden furniture, wooden staircases, wonderful windows, and an ambiance that is positively 18th-century. If you should ever happen to be sucked into a vortex and deposited into the Tavern, you would think you were about to witness the Revolution.

• drinking at the tavern

by Spumped Written Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, I visited Philly during the Summer and had to go visit the City Tavern. I tried three different drinks. The first was that apple cider drink. I can't remember what it was called either. I don't remember what my second drink was, but I remember ordering their home brewed gin, and man, I should have started with that first. I forgot how strong gin was. Haha! But it was good!

Instant Answers: Philadelphia

Comments

Hotels Near City Tavern
4.0 out of 5 stars