North Philadelphia, Philadelphia

by mannymiami
    by mannymiami
  • It is a real danger in Philly

by New2it Written Oct 4, 2007

I don't normally post (I just signed up as a matter of fact). I just read some of the posts that say north Philly is okay. DO NOT GO THERE! The people who post in this area stating that it is okay to be there are not really from that area. They may be from northeast Philly. That area is very nice on the border of montgomary county out of the city. We have one of the highest murder rates in the country right here in Philadelphia. There is NO place in this city that is safe. Well, maybe center city only during the day. Trust me.....I really live here. Don't belive....check our murder rate stats!

• Nice People, Bad Area.

by Dan45 Written Jul 7, 2007

There are some great people who live in north philly, and I understand why some people on this site feel attacked by the statement that philly is dangerous. I used to deliver pizza's to North philly, and there are alot of people with a sense of community tring to make it better, but if you are a tourist, be careful. North of Girard is a very dangerous place if you don't know your way around. Philadelphia has the most murders per capita in the country. This is a great city, and it is on an upswing, but there is alot of poverty and violence, and if you are not familiar with an area, be careful.

• Unbelievable

by ohiosista2005 Written Jun 30, 2007

I'm reading these tips on north philly and I can't believe it. First of all ,if you think north philly is that dangerous why don't you stand up and try to make a difference!!! In a sense I agree that north philly can be dangerous, but honestly, it's no more dangerous than many urban areas. I was blessed to be able to spend a significant amount of time in north philly in 2006 and my goodness what I experience was nothing short of "Brotherly Love" I have an autistic child and to younger children and we hung out in north philly all day until 10 or 11 pm, many times riding SEPTA, before returning back to Center City, and I LOOVVEEDD it. Fairmount Park always had numerous activities going on, and the residents of north philly were some of the warmest and helpful people I've ever met. I even had a chance to attend a block party,something that is almost unheard of these days in nieghborhoods, and they made me and my children feel as though we had lived there all our lives. As I stated earlier yes north philly has poverty and all the things that gowith it,but that is why I am making it my business to do more research and relocate there so I can hopefully be part of a solution, not part the problem. The residents of north philly have strong family roots and will stand together, something I have not witnessed since I was a child. Much love north philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Unbelievable

by ohiosista2005 Written Jun 30, 2007

• dmarino622's Profile Photo

Dangerous Areas

by dmarino622 Written Jan 31, 2007

In 1682, William Penn made a grid stretching from South St. to Arch between Front and 26th St. and named it Philadelphia. This is where most of the tourism is and for the most part, it is very safe. In my experience, South Philadelphia isn't particularly dangerous either. I have heard to avoid West and North Philadelphia, but my experiences with both are that they don't seem all that bad. Philadelphia is a big city and there are some dangerous areas. If you are site-seeing, you are unlikely to feel in danger. If you are looking for a place to live, you should be able to tell how the area is by the amount of garbage on the sidewalks and the condition of the homes. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

• North Philly; breeding ground of Creativity & Love

by Deluxerx Updated Oct 22, 2006

If Black people scare you based on skin color alone, stay away from North Philly.

If row homes automatically equal poverty to you, and seeing "poverty" up close scares you, stay away from North Philly.

If you don't have any common sense or manners, stay away from North Philly.

I'm a musician that was born in, and spent my youth in, North Philly.
    There are countless musicians, artists, creative & political movements that were born in the streets of North Philly.
    My childhood was full of learning to have character, jumping doubledutch, wrtiting music, amazing food, blockparties, neighborhood love, and encouragement to use my imagination.

In fact, I'm taking my WHITE, Australian, fiance to North Philly next Tuesday.
    This will be his 2nd trip & He LOVES it.
    Shallow people may see poverty and danger, but he sees the richness and kindness of the people that live there.
    Of course the drug trade has infiltrated these streets to some degree - so I wouldn't recommend walking alone after 10pm or so, but I wouldn't recommend that for most large urban areas.

Bottomline is that I'm alarmed and insulted by comments that paint a picture of criminals running the streets with gun & knives ready to rob or murder you. Or perhaps that the people in the so-called bread lines are so desparate & pathetic they might attack or infect you with their welfare mentality.

These are simply people who are trying to improve they're lives. These are MY people.
    They are open, dynamic & lovely people that create a unique culture whose influence is felt worldwide.

On most days they are familes and kids talking, debating, sitting on their stoops, laughing, playing, teaching, dancing, scheming, creating and striving.

Remember: You Get what You Expect
    If you don't have the depth to understand that, then stay away from North Philly.

• if your soft or scared don't come here!!!

by juelz215 Written Jan 8, 2005

i find this page amusing to me for the simple fact that i am going to colombia this month to visit family and was trying to read up on safety tips. it seems every site i came across there was so many negative things about it, murders, kidnappings, theft and talked to my family who said it wasn't that bad, but from everything i read i found it hard to believe. then i came across a site that told me differently. it said to just watch yourself and to be smart, and it reminded me of home. you see i live in north philadelphia and i love it. i feel safer here then anywhere else in the world, this is my home. yes we do have problems, and there are poverty stricken areas. i realize that the people that write these posts are weak, the live in there cozy subarban homes, and the only violence they see is on television. my advice to anyone that travels anywhere is to be smart, stay focused, and you will be safe. these people make my home sound like theres a war going on here, but after over 20 years of living here, i've never been shot, never was robbed, and can walk around at night? why, because i'm not a ***!!! my girl has more balls then these people on this page, and people like them. the reason this country is going to *** is because soft political and business leaders sit behind desks and make choices for us. the people on this page make me sick, and i spit on you for your ignorance and lack of heart.

• Business Travel

2003's Bread Line

by mannymiami Updated Apr 2, 2003

I witness driving on North Broad street in North Philly something that made me think about how bad the economy especially in this city is doing. Here I saw a long line of people that where collecting food handouts just like the depression period of this country. I like to show this picture to show the World what a normal tourist that would come to this city would not even see. Just like any Eight World Country we in our country have problems just as well.

• mannymiami's Profile Photo

North Philadelphia "One Big War Zone"

by mannymiami Updated Apr 2, 2003

North Philadelphia a run down area in this city goes on for miles of abandon buildings and empty lots. I can defenitly say that this city won the Academy Award for the most rundown city. As WC Fields said "Better dead then in Philadelphia"!!!

Be very carefull!!!

by mannymiami Written Apr 2, 2003

North Philadelphia is a very nasty area in the city. It looks like a war zone. Infested with drug dealers,burnt out homes,abandon factories,low income persons and a whole lot of poverty, I suggest not to venture out into this area unless you are looking for a death wish. This is one attraction in Philadelphia that does not apeal to me at all.

by matt1168 Updated Jan 26, 2003

Subway station in N. Philly

As with most cities, there are A LOT of areas to keep away from. The majority of the areas surrounding Center City Philadelphia aren't very nice and you should know what areas these are. One of the worst areas in the city, by far, is North Philadelphia. This is a huge, huge area that starts at Spring Garden St., just north of Center City. If you have an appointment or need to go to N. Phila. for some reason, you should make sure it is safe and make sure you know how to get there. There are some tourist attractions and things in N. Philly, though.

• There are parts of Philly...

by phillypete Written Aug 26, 2002

There are parts of Philly where you don't want to go - but you won't have much reason to go there. Especially North, West, and Southwest Philly are unsavory (looking at a local map will identify these sections for you). Overall, I feel far more comfortable here than say.. New York!

• feline01's Profile Photo

There are some really bad...

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

There are some really bad neighborhoods in Philly for tourists. Avoid Broad Street, Route 611 near Temple University if possible and South Philly can be a bit rough depending exactly where you are. If you feel a bit nervous in a neighborhood, listen to that inner voice and get out quickly.

Instant Answers: Philadelphia

• Jan 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM

No seriously People....it is a dump!!! Now what are we going to do about it???

• JoshH11's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Who ever put that photo of subway station in north philly is wrong that is the regional, the broad street line which is completely underground, is the subway also part of the market frankford line...so your opinions is sort of misconscrewed.....I think people should stick to what they know especially about a city like philadelphia.....

• leics's Profile Photo
      Nov 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

All VT content is written by VT locals and visitors so it's not really surprising that occasionally things may be misidentified or mislabelled. Perhaps you'd like to add some tips and information of your own about Philadelphia?

• Jan 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I can relate to all these comments here on North Philadelphia, the good and the bad. There are certain neighborhoods that are much worse than others. And drugs has a big part to do with that. In Kensington for example, there's a huge problem with drug users (junkies), drug dealers, filth, blithe, crime, ectera. It seems like the neighborhood that time and the police forgot about. There's squatters galore living illegally in houses with free utility hookups, electric, gas, and water! The city knows all about this yet they do nothing. It's highly depressing. Most people there don't even give a hoot about themselves let alone anyone else. It's a community that is really bringing this city down! And it's going to continue to be a cycle because the kids there are learning many bad ways from their parents. And it's all races of people involved white, black, and hispanic. But the hispanic seems to be the worst there overall.