North Philadelphia, Philadelphia

by mannymiami
    by mannymiami

Be very carefull!!!

by mannymiami Written Apr 2, 2003

North Philadelphia is a very nasty area in the city. It looks like a war zone. Infested with drug dealers,burnt out homes,abandon factories,low income persons and a whole lot of poverty, I suggest not to venture out into this area unless you are looking for a death wish. This is one attraction in Philadelphia that does not apeal to me at all.

by matt1168 Updated Jan 26, 2003

As with most cities, there are A LOT of areas to keep away from. The majority of the areas surrounding Center City Philadelphia aren't very nice and you should know what areas these are. One of the worst areas in the city, by far, is North Philadelphia. This is a huge, huge area that starts at Spring Garden St., just north of Center City. If you have an appointment or need to go to N. Phila. for some reason, you should make sure it is safe and make sure you know how to get there. There are some tourist attractions and things in N. Philly, though.

Subway station in N. Philly

• North Philly is so much prettier than most suburbs

by justsomeperson Written Apr 21, 2008

It's true that parts of North Philadelphia look like a war zone. And it's true that in all my years growing up in Russia and traveling around the former Soviet Union, I don't think I have ever seen such urban desolation. I have also never seen anywhere as uniquely beautiful as other parts of North Philadelphia! If you're going to talk about the poor living conditions here because it's a disgrace that the richest country in the world lets this happen, then go ahead. But how dare you talk about this place as if there were no real people living here.
    Note to certain (not all) suburban white people- Be upset about the state of NP, be shocked--your reaction is your reaction. But don't act as if you have a legitimate reason to be scared for your own well-being. The majority of people killed here are young black men, not "little white girls", although the latter certainly get more media attention when anything does happen to them. We need to get over ourselves.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• if your soft or scared don't come here!!!

by juelz215 Written Jan 8, 2005

i find this page amusing to me for the simple fact that i am going to colombia this month to visit family and was trying to read up on safety tips. it seems every site i came across there was so many negative things about it, murders, kidnappings, theft and talked to my family who said it wasn't that bad, but from everything i read i found it hard to believe. then i came across a site that told me differently. it said to just watch yourself and to be smart, and it reminded me of home. you see i live in north philadelphia and i love it. i feel safer here then anywhere else in the world, this is my home. yes we do have problems, and there are poverty stricken areas. i realize that the people that write these posts are weak, the live in there cozy subarban homes, and the only violence they see is on television. my advice to anyone that travels anywhere is to be smart, stay focused, and you will be safe. these people make my home sound like theres a war going on here, but after over 20 years of living here, i've never been shot, never was robbed, and can walk around at night? why, because i'm not a ***!!! my girl has more balls then these people on this page, and people like them. the reason this country is going to *** is because soft political and business leaders sit behind desks and make choices for us. the people on this page make me sick, and i spit on you for your ignorance and lack of heart.

• Business Travel

• mannymiami's Profile Photo

North Philadelphia "One Big War Zone"

by mannymiami Updated Apr 2, 2003

North Philadelphia a run down area in this city goes on for miles of abandon buildings and empty lots. I can defenitly say that this city won the Academy Award for the most rundown city. As WC Fields said "Better dead then in Philadelphia"!!!

2003's Bread Line

by mannymiami Updated Apr 2, 2003

I witness driving on North Broad street in North Philly something that made me think about how bad the economy especially in this city is doing. Here I saw a long line of people that where collecting food handouts just like the depression period of this country. I like to show this picture to show the World what a normal tourist that would come to this city would not even see. Just like any Eight World Country we in our country have problems just as well.

• WATCH OUT FOR CERTAIN AREAS!!!

by kiesha215 Written Oct 25, 2010

Well, for the most part Philadelphia is ok and just ok. Just like any other city you have to be careful use your common sense and you will be fine. Dont walk alone at night especially if your unfamilliar with your surroundings . Areas to watch out for is North Philly like some of the other's mentioned It's very large and most of the areas has very high crimes and drug zones such as Strawberry Mansion, Hunting park, Kennsington, Nicetown, there is nothing nice about it. I'm actually suprised that no one has mentioned Olney or logan also kind of crazy. There is West philly stay away from from Parkside, Belmont, Cobb Creek....Oh and "SOUTHWEST PHILLY" I have lived here for all my life and that's one part of Philly I dont go into. Clearview, Bartram Village projects,Elmwood are all Horrible... At The end of the day it really isnt the neighborhoods thats bad ,it's these rude, ignorant, coldhearted people that fills them that makes them bad... Unfortunately It's majority but not everybody some actually have alot of good intentions and are actually good people like me, in these neighborhoods but you never know...So just be wise and stay cautious...

• Philly

by k.LOCASH Written Feb 25, 2009

Philadelphia is a huge city comprised of many neighborhoods. North Philadelphia is a large section of the city. For the most part, this section of Philly is home to black, and hispanic neighborhoods, most of which are very poor. The average tourist would not venture into North Philly, however there are many historical sights located in that part of the city. As a whole Philadelphia is pretty safe. Most of the crime and murders are isolated, and almost always drug related. As long as you don't look for trouble you wont find it.

• North Philly

by Wifeytypebytchz1 Written Mar 15, 2008

First off people, I'm from North Philly, I rep 16th & Diamond all day everyday. Yeah it's bad down here, but people won't bother you unless you bother them first. Most of who lives down in North Philly are African Americans, or Puerto Ricans. I'm Rican and White, I've lived here my entire life, and I wouldn't change it. When people come down here they look at everyone in digust, sorry people we didn't choose this. I have no choose of living down here, people try to get out everyday but we can't make it. Yes it is getting bad down here but don't come down and judge us, you don't know what it's like day by day.

• Aasamoah's Profile Photo

Dont judge a book by it's cover

by Aasamoah Updated Nov 16, 2007

As a native Philadelphian I would like to state that I am disgusted at all of these negative comments about North Philly. I attended school and worked in North Philadelphia for 5 years and you wont find more culture, diversity, and genuine people anywhere else in the city. Despite the negative images you see portrayed above I have never been robbed, shot, stabbed, attacked by drug dealers, or encountered any form of violence. Yes, North Philly is rough around the edges but you cant judge a book by its cover. The communities in North South and West Philadelphia (though less affluent) are some of the friendliest and close knit in the city . No the people dont have much but they do take care of one another.

By the way Manni from Miami, the pictures you have posted with the modern day breadline are more than likely community groups making sure the elderly and less fortunate are well taken care of. I know because our local church and Highschool provided the same service. Maybe if you had gotten out of your car and spoke to the people instead of immediately judging them you would have known that.

Also,for all of you tourist North Philadelphia features some of the oldest examples of Victorian architecture and brownstone buildings in the city. Additionaly, there are an array of murals and community gardens to experience, most of them completed by local residents as part of the city's Mural Arts Program. Furthermore, along Cecil B Moore avenue you'll find the previous home and headquarters of Marcus Garvey and other civil rights activist. North Philadelphia has alot to offer people dont be so quick to judge instead do someting to help. You should'nt judge a book by its cover, there's an even greater story inside.

• North Philly. Dangerous, Really?

by RoscoeDez Written Mar 24, 2011

I went to google to find information about a death of someone I knew and I stumbled upon a molting heap of blind ignorance. And then the people spreading this ignorance have the effrontery to try to teach. Us to have an openmind. Well how's this for open mind. I live in North Philadelphia. Between 19 and 26 and Cecil B. Moore ave. I went to school t 22nd and lehigh. Anybody who knows philly should know that the area I'm in is not the best. Everyday I walked back and forth past Diamond St. The Projects and then past Dauphin (for all you philly ignorant people 2-3 years ago this was a big place for drug trade offs. Mah best friend lived at 16th and girard. Every other day I walked from 23rd and Cecil B. Moore to 16th and Girard. I am a 19 year old homosexual male. An "easy" target. NEVER have I been threatened appraoched not even ridiculed about mah lifestyle. The kids around where I live don't mess with yu unless you. Show fear or disrespect. And believeme, the teenswhere I'm from aren't the dramatic arguing type. I live around bloods and thugs who've ran the streets for years. If your not in the game then your not their target. I get worse treatment in Center City. Its like they know where I'm from and sine they judge before knowing they let their ignorance take blame. I see more homophobia in the eyes of white cops from the suburbs than from the thugs that walk mah street. I've neverbeen asked to sell drugs I've never been approached to buy drugs. Man philly is the best place ever. This coming from a new york native. Philly is the best stop for a tourist who wants tosee real Art and realLOVE. And not the sign at "Love Park". Aayyyee I'm done.

• Review opinion

by missbecky Written Apr 30, 2011

I read the reviews given here on North Philly and as a white person from Wisconsin the people i met here have made me feel more safe & welcome then i ever expected. All i did was to treat them as equals. I was given all the warnings which i heeded but after a while they all got to know me and i earned their love and respect and i consider them family. So to anyone who goes there you will be treated as you treat. I lived off Lehigh and 27th and i loved every minute i was there. Its not a place for just a visit because there is really nothing of interest to a tourist just the people who make up North Philly, a place i am proud to b from.

• Neighborhoods, Teenagers, Drugs, and Police

by nicholai123 Updated Jun 20, 2010

I went and graduated from Temple University which is a decent school ranked in the top 100 nationwide which also employs many people. I also lived in North Philly during that time and learned a few things however I never was robbed or threatened with violence outside of a drunken white frat boy at a party. The basic rules apply such as traveling in groups at night, avoiding bad neighborhoods or unknown neighborhoods, carrying keys and possibly pepper spray, and showing a general sense of purpose. I think a lot of the people who are pointing out statistics are mainly referencing the most dangerous areas where there are open air drug markets. Stay out of Kensington, Strawberry Mansion, and mostly ten blocks on either side of Broad Street north of Cecil B. Moore with the exception of Temple's campus. African Americans may find themselves unwelcome in certain hispanic sections of Kensington, sections of the white neighborhoods of Fishtown and Port Richmond. As a Russian immigrant I ran into a bit of trouble one night in the form of three skinheads in Fishtown (which is hilarious because my own country is plagued by these stupid thugs too), but I was assured this was uncommon. This can be said for caucasians in other places but if you are with a local you are okay. The outreach in these neighborhoods is amazing and I had a chance to go the barrio on 5th street while I was at Temple and met a wonderful group of Hispanic women that try to take care of the neighborhood. I have also been to a church service right near one of Philadelphia's most famous drug spots 17th and Jefferson and found that neighborhood to be a beautiful place on a Sunday morning as some of the old buildings do retain a certain charm. Also West Philly has a lot to do such as the World cafe but some violent neighborhoods too. My General rule was to not go past 40th and Market. There is Drexel which has a nice soccer field but not a nice campus and UPenn which is gorgeous.

Danger WARNINGS: TEENAGERS ->these days most people worth robbing are buying large amounts of drugs or use their debit card for everything so the older criminals don't waste their time if you aren't involving yourself in a drug deal. However the young and restless who haven't got a pot to *** in and see the glorified gangster hype as something they must live up to are on the hunt. Steer clear of large groups of teenage kids in the city no matter what race they are as all inner city kids tend to be rougher around the edges than others. If you are working with children in a formal environment it is different but a bunch of kids hanging out together without much to do can be a bad mix if they spot a tourist. And they will sniff you out if you show your fear. 12-16 are the worst

POLICE->Racially profiling does exist here if you are the opposite race of the neighborhood you are in you may be stopped. White in a black or hispanic neighborhood because you are buying drugs, black or hispanic in a white neighborhood because you are robbing people.

DRUGS->Philadelphia has a lot of drugs like many cities and 90 percent of the violence is connected to drugs. Don't do drugs and you most likely won't become a victim of that violence.

I love Philly but it may not be for everyone. Many people on here have judged it without really knowing it. There's a lot wrong in Philly but definitely a good time to be had and a long blue collar history that has made the people rough around the edges but full of substance when you get past the exterior.

• This city is burning to the ground

by c_sierra Written Mar 18, 2012

Let me tell you first hand North Philly is infested with trash. My husband and I transplanted here 2 years ago from Nyc and it was the worst mistake we have ever made. My husband and I are Puerto Rican, my kids are Puerto Rican and never in my life have I been more embarassed of my own people. Certain areas of North Philly is full of animals. They don't know how to act. It is pathetic. I see them day in an out beating there own kind men and women. They don't discriminate. A female neighbor I know had her teeth knocked out and a broken finger from a group of about ten grown men. I have seen countless acts of violence perpetrated by and against my own people. Its no wonder the homicide rate is so high here. You have to be packing to even step foot in the dump that is North Philly. Please if you are thinking of moving here from PR or Nyc DON'T. I am so desperate to leave this place and never look back. I personally can't wait til the feds step in and clean up North Philly. It is long overdue in my opinion and the only way for the city to clean up this mess.

• There are parts of Philly...

by phillypete Written Aug 26, 2002

There are parts of Philly where you don't want to go - but you won't have much reason to go there. Especially North, West, and Southwest Philly are unsavory (looking at a local map will identify these sections for you). Overall, I feel far more comfortable here than say.. New York!

Instant Answers: Philadelphia

• Jan 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM

No seriously People....it is a dump!!! Now what are we going to do about it???

• JoshH11's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Who ever put that photo of subway station in north philly is wrong that is the regional, the broad street line which is completely underground, is the subway also part of the market frankford line...so your opinions is sort of misconscrewed.....I think people should stick to what they know especially about a city like philadelphia.....

• leics's Profile Photo
      Nov 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

All VT content is written by VT locals and visitors so it's not really surprising that occasionally things may be misidentified or mislabelled. Perhaps you'd like to add some tips and information of your own about Philadelphia?

• Jan 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I can relate to all these comments here on North Philadelphia, the good and the bad. There are certain neighborhoods that are much worse than others. And drugs has a big part to do with that. In Kensington for example, there's a huge problem with drug users (junkies), drug dealers, filth, blithe, crime, ectera. It seems like the neighborhood that time and the police forgot about. There's squatters galore living illegally in houses with free utility hookups, electric, gas, and water! The city knows all about this yet they do nothing. It's highly depressing. Most people there don't even give a hoot about themselves let alone anyone else. It's a community that is really bringing this city down! And it's going to continue to be a cycle because the kids there are learning many bad ways from their parents. And it's all races of people involved white, black, and hispanic. But the hispanic seems to be the worst there overall.