Pittsburgh Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Pittsburgh

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

CATHEDRAL OF LEARNING--UNIV. OF PGH.

Cathedral of Learning

Favorite thing: Pittsburgh has many wonderful universities. The Cathedral of Learning is part of the University of Pittsburgh. It contains nationality rooms decorated in the theme of various countries around the world. Displays reflect the culture of each country. Hours are Sun. 11am-2:30pm; Mon.-Fri. 9am-4pm; Sat. 9:30am-2:30pm. Admission is $3.00 for adults, $.50 for children and $2.00 for seniors.

The Cathedral of Learning is a 42 story Gothic Tower housing twenty-six classrooms. The Stephen Foster Theatre, where student productions are held, is also located here.

The address is 157 Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh.

UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH

University of Pittsburgh

Favorite thing: First known as the Pittsburgh Academy in 1787, then as the Western University of Pittsburgh in 1819 and finally as The University of Pittsburgh in 1908 is noted for being one of the top public research universities in the nation.

The School of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Engineering, Arts and Sciences, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences and Informational Sciences are an example of the programs the University of Pittsburgh offers.

The 132 acre campus has approximately 100 residence halls, academic, research and administration buildings. It serves 27,000 students with a faculty of 4100. It is located in the rich cultural district of Oakland, an area of Pittsburgh accented by museums and art galleries. For more information call 412-624-4141.

Carnegie Mellon University

Carnegie Mellon University

Favorite thing: Carnegie Mellon, 5000 Forbes Avenue, is one of the premier Engineering schools in the nation and top in robotics! There have been some who say they have successfully competed with the techno-savvy Japanese in that area.

The University was conceived by Industrialist, Andrew Carnegie, who wanted to build a first class technological school for the sons of his mill workers. His dream was finalized in 1905 with the opening of the school.

CMU is known for its Engineering, Science, Drama and Fine Arts programs. It merged with Mellon Institute in 1967 to create a successful and diversified program of education. For more information call 412-268-2479.

HILLMAN LIBRARY--UNIV.OF PGH.

Hillman Library

Favorite thing: This is one big library! It holds approximately 1,500,000 volumes of material which focuses expressly on the humanities and social sciences. Hours vary depending on the terms and testing periods, but is often open until 2 am to allow for research since it is part of the University of Pittsburgh.

Parking meters are available in the front of the building, but there are also parking lots with hourly rates located at Schenley Plaza,Panther Hollow and at the Soldiers and Sailors Hall parking lot--all within walking distance.

This facility is across the street from the Cathedral of Learning and within walking distance to the Carnegie Natural History Museum in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh. The address is 3960 Forbes Avenue. For more information call 412-648-3330.

DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY

Duquesne University

Favorite thing: Duquesne University is well thought of in the world of academics! It was founded in 1878 by a group of Catholic priests and brothers of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit who were referred to as The Spiritans. This group was first established in France in 1703.

The Tamburitzens, a multicultural academy dedicated to the preservation and presentation of folk songs and dance are established here and travel all over the world introducing ethnic culture to a wide audience.

Duquesne was rated as one of the safest campuses in the nation by USA Today. For more information call 412-396-6000 or toll fee 800-456-0590.

WESLEY POSVAR HALL

Wesley Posvar Hall--University of Pittsburgh

Favorite thing: This building is part of the University of Pittsburgh. It sits at 230 South Bouquet Street between the Hillman Library and Mervis Hall. Carnegie Museum is within walking distance of this location, as well as the Cathedral of Learning.

Wesley Posvar Hall is the largest classroom building on the campus of The University of Pittsburgh (74,695 sq. ft.). It houses the School of Education, the Social Science Departments, the University Center for International Studies, Undergraduate College of Business and Administration and the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.

It is located on the former site of Old Forbes Field, home to the Pittsburgh Pirates. A portion of Forbes Field wall remains nearby.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

MERVIS HALL-Univ. of Pgh.

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 6, 2007

Mervis Hall-Univ. of Pgh.

Favorite thing: Mervis Hall is located to the rear of Hillman Library and is part of the University of Pittsburgh. The Joseph Katz Graduate School of Business and other related offices such as the Dean´s office, MBA Programs office, Career Services and the Office of Enrollment Management and classrooms are located here.

Mervis Hall is within walking distance of the Univ. of Pgh. campus, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Carnegie Library, Hillman Library and the Cathedral of Learning.

DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY

Duquesne University

Favorite thing: Duquesne offers a 40 acre campus complete with tree-lined walkways in a park-like, hilltop setting. This is a Catholic university whose mission is ¨to serve God by serving students, by committing to excellence in liberal and professional educations, upholding moral and spiritual values in the church and in its commitment to the community and the world´´.

The residence halls, academic buildings and recreation areas are all within easy walking distance. The McNulty College and Graduate School of Liberal Arts, School of Nursing, School of Law, Mylan School of Pharmacy and Cyril H. Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law are only a few of the schools comprising the university.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

next time, go with the German

by richiecdisc Written Jan 1, 2010

The Church Brew Works is housed in an old church

Fondest memory: Since we would be staying with friends, we wanted to take them out for dinner but the brewery I wanted most to visit, The Church Brew Works, was quite pricey. As chance would have it, our friends wanted to take us out for dinner, to one of my favorite US lager producers, Penn Brewing. It was a tough choice for me as I had always wanted to go to The Church Brew Works and their beers are not available outside of the brewpub. Penn Brewing beers, on the other hand, are readily available even in my home state of Florida. Since going to both brewpubs would have been greedy on my part and they insisted on taking us to dinner, we went with their second choice, Primanti Brothers. This great Pittsburgh institution is the best pizza parlor in town. We are lucky to have two of them in our native hometown of Fort Lauderdale, the only place outside of Pittsburgh to have any outposts.

The evening went really well and we hit if off grandly even though D had only met my old friends once at a wedding a few years earlier. Unfortunately, my buddy from high school is a pilot and was flying that night so could not have a beer and had to leave after dinner but his wife was more than happy to drive us to The Church Brew Works. This brewpub turned out to be disappointing and we actually passed by Penn Brewing with a sign for its Oktoberfest. Our friend explained it's the best time of year to visit the brewery and if there fine Germanic beers are any indication, I'm sure the food is great, hardy, and they put on a great Fest. I silently kicked myself for not choosing the old standby rather than exploring new uncharted territory. She offered to stop in for a beer but I knew I had pushed the limits of my beer loving as far as I could or should with my very understanding wife. But next time, I go with the tried and true. I go with Penn Brewing. I go with the German. After all, that's who I came with

• Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

too many breweries for even me?

by richiecdisc Written Jan 1, 2010

my high school buddy & I as he heads off to fly

Favorite thing: I must confess I've not seen enough of Pittsburgh to say what its greatest sights are. Our stop was to visit friends and in that sense, even though it was very short, it was a great stop. Thanks to Ed & Ann for their hospitality. We hope to see you again soon.

If you are asking what my favorite brewpub is I would have to say Penn Brewing even though I've not been there yet. I've had their beer and my guess is if their food is as good as their beer, it has to be a better brewpub than The Church Beer Works.

Fondest memory: Sure, we were heading to a good friends' house in Pittsburgh but that would undoubtedly lead to yet another brewery stop. My friends know me well and a visit by me means a visit to the local brewery. This even happens when I am not in the mood. They can't wait to show me their local stuff. I guess my reputation precedes me. To set the scene, my wife and I had been to around 50 top brewpubs during our six-month trip around the US. We had been choosey about the places we stopped, trying to keep our budget under control and save our livers for the rigors of backpacking which was the real purpose of the trip, after all. But that part of the trip was over and now we found ourselves driving cross country, “back east” to the area I had grown up before finally making our way back down to our home in Florida. Obviously there would be a few beery stops along the way, all well-chosen. The problem was we were making such good progress on our trek east, it was only natural we would run into quite a few top ones clustered too closely together. In fact, we had been to two the day before, we were driving from one now, and we were surely heading towards another one that very night. That would make four breweries in two days, a lot for even me when not in Franconia. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• Beer Tasting

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Golden Triangle

by GUYON Written Feb 25, 2003

Golden Triangle

Favorite thing: See the Golden Triangle. It is the most beautiful part of Pittsburgh. In Summer, the trees hide partly the view from Mount Washington.

Fondest memory: On the other bank of the Allegheny River , there is the Three Rivers Stadium dedicated to the base ball and the local team : the Pirates.

• lovemycacti's Profile Photo

The Little Things...

by lovemycacti Written Feb 25, 2004

Pittsburgh

Favorite thing: -When planning a trip to Pittsburgh it is best to order their tourism guide well in advance. Their tourism website is not the greatest and can be a little confusing. Your best bet is to check out the tips from this website - but you're well ahead of me on that one.

-Coupons for top attractions can be found on their Pittsburgh tourism website, so you best check over there anyway although the font they use for information on attractions can be difficult to read with a 'squished' appearance.

-Don't have a phobia of bridges. If you do, don't go to Pittsburgh as there are many, many beautiful traffic bridges that you'll have to cross sooner or later.

-Don't be offended. When in places such as restaurants when you say 'thank you' many of the waiters/waitresses say "Uh-huh" instead of "Your Welcome". They're not being rude, thats just their way of speech. You'll also notice an accent if you're coming from outside of Pennsylvania.

-Take your camera! Pittsburgh has some
    ah-mazing scenery! Their city skyline is remarkable day or night. Pittsburgh has done a great job at preserving their grand, historic buildings, but mixes very, very hip new buildings in. All together, it makes for quite the sight.

-All major attractions seem to close at 5 or 5:30pm during winter hours. Many places are closed all on Mondays. Definately check your times before heading out to avoid disappointment.

Fondest memory: There are too many wonderful places to visit here. I only had a day and a half to explore and would like to go back someday. If going on vacation here you can definately find things to keep you busy for 7 days.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The view of downtown exiting the Fort Pitt Tunnel

by mikelisaanna Written Jan 2, 2007

The view exiting the Fort Pitt Tunnel

Favorite thing: One of our favorite things about Pittsburgh is the view of downtown that you get as you exit the Fort Pitt Tunnel, the city's main entrance from the south, and then drive across the Fort Pitt Bridge. One minute you are in a tunnel, and then a few seconds later you get this amazing view of downtown, and the surrounding rivers and bridges.

• Architecture
    • Business Travel

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Schenley Park

by yooperprof Written Jan 21, 2004

Pittsburgh's front yard

Favorite thing: Schenley Park is just a bit to the west of the Pitt-Carnegie Mellon concentration. It's a good place to bring a book and catch some rays on an early summer's day. (If you're trying to get here from the Parkway, best use the Boulevard of the Allies exit.)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Mellon Bank Center

by yooperprof Written Jan 21, 2004

Financial Power

Favorite thing: This is an old money town - and a banking center as well. The great Andrew Mellon was involved in the establishment of this institution which still bears the family name. Mellon - who was not only a banker but also a guiding force behind Gulf Oil and Alcoa - was also US Secretary of the Treasury for ten years, between 1921 and 1931, and then US Ambassador to Great Britain. A phenomenal art collector, he left his treasures to form the core of the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C., and a legacy from his estate paid for the construction of that wonderful museum on the Mall.

Fondest memory: The photo shows Mellon Bank Tower from the courtyard of the Allegheny County Courthouse.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Favorites

Reviews and photos of Pittsburgh favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pittsburgh sightseeing.