Places to eat in Pittsburgh

• Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    Catching up with Old Friends in Dining...
    Fatheads Beer Wall
    Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale

Most Viewed Restaurants in Pittsburgh

Bigelow Grille: Outrageous Food

by cjg1 Updated Jun 10, 2009

The Bigelow Grille was the restaurant located in the Double Tree in which we were staying. After a long day and evening we decided to come here for a bite to eat before heading upstairs to our room. The restaurant was a nice size with a dining room to one side and a nice bar area to the other side. The bar was an L shape with stools and had some small tables surrounding the perimeter.

We had a seat at the bar which was surprisingly quite crowded considering the hour. I ordered a Miller Lite and Liz had a club soda with lime. The menu had some nice choices but two stuck out for us: steamed mussels and flatbread pizza. We were hungry but not starving so ordering two appetizers was just perfect for us. For dessert Liz couldn't resist and ordered some creme brulee. The food here was incredibly good and I was quite surprised.

The service was a bit spotty and one of the bartenders kept complaining loudly about the managment. I felt any staff issues should have been kept behind the scenes and not aired in front of customers. The staff problems didn't impact the food quality or the fact we had a nice end to our evening.

Favorite Dish: The steamed mussels were incredible and served in a huge bowl. The sauce was a tomato cream with shallots, garlic and pernod. The mussels were serced with cruch garlic bread sticks which were perfect for dipping in the tasty sauce. The flat bread pizza was griled with tomatoes, garlic, arugula and gorgonzola cheese. It was a perfect portion and extremely good. Liz loved her creme brulee and I must admit it was very good; though it's not one of my favorite desserts.

Flatbread Pizza Creme Brulee Mussels Miller Lite & Club Soda

Big Jim's in the Run: Incredible Food and Portions

by cjg1 Updated Mar 31, 2009

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives featured Big Jim's in the Run in one of their episodes so I knew I had to try it. The place was rather easy to find once we had directions. It's in a very working class neighborhood in a non-descript building. The sign is the only way you would ever know there was a restaurant in the building; especially since the entrance was on the side street and not at the front. Inside the restaurant had two dining roms with basic tables and chairs. The decor is basic and it was a bit dark but we were here for great food not atmosphere.

The hostess was very nice and sat the four of us at a nice table for four in the smaller dining room. After perusing the menu we all ordered some drinks and our entrees. I had the Veal Parm, Liz had the White pizza, Jim had a sausage sandwich and Tennille had a meatball parm. The food was unbelievable and the prices were cheap. The service was on point and we had an awesome lunch.

Favorite Dish: I loved my Veal Parm sandwich which was a huge portion of veal and cheese on a gigantic italian roll. It was so large it looked as if they used an entire loaf of italian bread just for one sandwich. It was incredible and so worth finding the place.

My Huge Veal Parm Sandwich Liz's White Pizza The Big Jim's Sign Sauasge Parm Meatball Parm

Tessaro's: Good Burgers

by cjg1 Updated Jun 10, 2009

Tessaro's is a place that was mentioned to me as having incredible burgers. Jim and Tennille had never been to Tessaro's and were keen on trying it out. The place is a bit of a hole in the wall bar/restuarant but I am a fan of hole in the wall local joints. The inside is a bit dark with a nice bar area and several sections of seating. We were greeted at the door and quickly seated at a table for four. Our waitress was quick and handed us menus and took our drink orders. We all decided on burgers: Jim had a Bleu burger, I had a plain burger with grilled onions and Liz and Tennille both had an American Cheeseburger. The burgers cames with a choice of a side. I took the coleslaw while the other chose the potato chips. The burgers were very large and if I knew the size ahead of time I might have ordered the cooking temperature a bit differently. For the most part the burgers were good, they were not the OMG I was expecting. We washed down our burgers with some beer (Liz had Ice tea). I was glad to have seen and tasted the burgers for myself and wouldn't rule out coming back here to try another menu option.

Favorite Dish: The burgers were good but next time I will know how to order it right (the size definitely influences the temp). The coleslaw was very nice and Liz's chips were nice and crispy.

Liz's Cheeseburger and chips Taking my first bite My Burger with Grilled Onions

• jls274's Profile Photo

Toast!: Tasty and Trendy Toast!

by jls274 Written Jun 10, 2009

The food was wonderful and the wine suggestions were perfect. It is in an old office space or apartment building, so there are many rooms with just 4 or 5 tables- very cozy! It was pretty dark, so I couldn't really get pictures of the food, but the candle-lit room was relaxing. The pacing was slow and and the waitress very helpful in choosing our food. Many of the foods are local, too!

Favorite Dish: My husband and I went for our Anniversary dinner, so we ordered three appetizers and two smaller portion entrees, splitting them each.

Butter/Bread-The bread was good- tough on the outside and very soft in the middle. The butter was sweet and whipped. It was especially good on the shortbread cookie that came with the cheesecake.

Cheese Plate Appetizer- The french cheese was amazing and so was the soft Pennsylvania goat cheese.

Lobster Mac and Cheese- This had some very rich lobster with noodles, a light creamy sauce, and powdery cheese.

Mushrooms- A dish of mushrooms and noodles. It was good, but a little salty for my taste. (I am pretty sensitive to salt, though)

Crab Cake- There is quite a lot of crab and very little filler. Instead, the veggies that would have been used to make it are underneath. Yum!

Duck Sausage- Kind of salty and fatty to my taste, but good for those who love sausage!

Dessert!
    My husband got the Pot de Creme, and it was so good, I had to get one too. It was like a cold bed when sleepy on a hot winter day- like a non-frozen chocolate ice creme.

We also got the chocolate sampler. It was interesting and fun to try and discuss...especially the Chipoltle Pop Rock Chocolate!

Note: The menu changes daily.

Capitol Grill: Great Service at the Capitol Grill

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Spactacular service! We were even given a tour of the kitchen! The food was delicious, but it was about a year ago, so I don't remember exactly what we got.

Note: The way they prepare the steak, the outside is a little burnt-tasting. My husband loved this, but it wasn't my favorite preparation method.

Willow: Delish! Willow

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

It has been quite a while since I went- but extremely good food- over a year later, I still remember the crab cake! :)

The atmosphere is nice- dark and kind of trendy. If you would prefer to sit in couches and chairs in a living-room type setting over the traditional restaurant table, that is an option here!

Favorite Dish: Crab cake

The Georgetowne Inn: A great view- The Georgetowne Inn

by jls274 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My food was amazing, but my husband says that his was just good. The view was amazing and the service was pretty good. The atmosphere was like a cabin- warm with lots of wood.

Favorite Dish: The Pino Nior was sweet and spectacular. Great steak!

• MoNewcamp's Profile Photo

Azul Bar Y Cantina: Home of the Best Margaritas and Authentic Mexican

by MoNewcamp Written Jul 8, 2008

Friendly Staff and Great Food.

We like to go around "Happy Hour time" Not crazy busy and you get the chance to talk w/ the staff or owners.

Not anything like Chi Chi's -fresh food and authentic!
    Check it out for yourself!!

Favorite Dish: Jueves (Thurdays Special) Tamales

Nachos- can be a meal also!!

Escabeche

Roasted Jalapeno's

My husband loves and always recommends the Mar y Tierra (surf'n turf burrito)

Azul Aton (ahi tuna)

And of course the Maragritas, Sangria and the Mexican beers XX Dos Equis Amber and Cerveza

• Beer Tasting

• pehanna's Profile Photo

Zenith: Great brunch in an antique shop

by pehanna Updated Aug 12, 2008

For a great brunch, don't miss out on the vegetarian friendly Zenith. Located in the South Side, a little bit of a distance from the bar strip. The food is good and the atmosphere is truly pleasant. It's situated in an antique shop where everything is for sale, including the plates you eat on.

See: http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/restaurant-detail.html?vid=1194791078489&inline=nyt-classifier

• KET33's Profile Photo

Union Grill: Good, Classic American Fare

by KET33 Written Sep 13, 2008

Located practically right between The University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon, this is a popular spot for students, especially when parents who can afford to pay for it are visiting. The place is usually packed, which leads to long lines and sometimes slow service, but it's good food and worth the wait.

• Thai Cuisine: Good Thai Food

by estargrl88 Written Nov 21, 2008

One of the best Thai restaurants in the city. It's a pretty unassuming little place - not too fancy, not too expensive, but the food and service are both good. It's BYOB.

Favorite Dish: The House Noodles are one of my favorities, but everything I've had has been delicious there!

• MoNewcamp's Profile Photo

Capital Grille: Great Dining Experience

by MoNewcamp Written Feb 2, 2008

Your treated with very friendly and courteous with a staff with personality from the valet on. To our surprise our wait staff called us by name and introduced themselves. Very comfortable, yet elegance atmosphere and a wonderful dinner experience. We will defintively be back again soon.

Favorite Dish: So far everything we tried: Chef Donoto
    Calamari appetizer with spicy cherry peppers
    Lobster mac & cheese (side dish)
    The Tuna and fillet -made to order
    asparagus (side dish)
    Very extensive wine list

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• ykx86's Profile Photo

Sushi Kim: Sushi!

by ykx86 Written Sep 17, 2003

My fav place in Pittsburgh for sushi. It was a little out of the way from oakland but definitely worth the trip. Their sushi boat is the cheapest around pittsburgh and tastes great. Other than sushi, they also have many choices of korean food.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Kenny B's Eatery

by frankcanfly Written Aug 6, 2004

I was intrigued by the Cuban 'style' sandwiches on the menu, so I went in. They weren't as good as described, I probably won't return. I've had real Cuban sandwiches.

Sharp Edge: My Most Visited- Sharp Edge

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Very good, but the wide variety of beer is the main attractant. The owner has been knighted in Belgium for doing so much to bring Belgian Beer to the US.

Favorite Dish: Dipping sampler- pick 3 dips

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Central
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Pittsburgh locals.
Map of Pittsburgh