Places to eat in Pittsburgh

• Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    Catching up with Old Friends in Dining...
    Fatheads Beer Wall
    Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale

Most Viewed Restaurants in Pittsburgh

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Fatheads Saloon: Best Beer Selection in Town!

by FatesWarn Updated Jan 15, 2015

I first went to Fatheads several years ago because a fellow bar patron recommended a sandwich there - I went for that sandwich (and I still get it every time I eat there), but I mainly go back for the beer wall. Years ago, the wall was mostly other brewers and a few house brews, now they have about 30-40% of the list and they're really good beers. The others are all carefully selected craft brews (they have Miller Lite and liquor for those who can't be bothered with trying something new - or just don't like craft beer for some reason).
    I recommend getting in early on the weekends to get the best chance at a seat at the bar because that's where you'll experience the awesome personalities of the bartenders and get a real feel for the buzz of the place (and a great view of the TV's when games are on).
    That sandwich: it's called the Southside Slopes - It has kielbasa topped with fried pierogies, American cheese, grilled onions, and horseradish sauce. It's amazing - if I lived there, I might order something else, but it's all I want when I'm there.

Fatheads Beer Wall Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale Again, Sometimes Husband Gets to Go Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    • Singles

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Waffles INCaffeinated Co.: It's Like Cold Stone for WAFFLES!

by FatesWarn Updated Jan 22, 2015

I love waffles and I love coffee, so when I spotted this place on my search for a new breakfast place not too far from downtown, I was sold.
    After sitting down and reviewing the menu, I quickly realized that this place is like Cold Stone for waffles... you can pick mix-ins and toppings for possibly hundreds of combinations. On this day, I was hungover and the thought of actually doing this on my first waffle from the joint was too daunting, so I chose one of their creations, Breakfast Magic. Yes, yes it was.
    The Breakfast Magic is a waffle with bacon, cheese, and green onion on the inside topped with more bacon and cheese and a fried egg (cooked to order) and sour cream. Wow! They also served it with bourbon maple syrup (served in a Jim Beam bottle :-)
    My dining companion had the BLT (with an egg); I didn't taste it, but it was wonderfully presented and well-liked.
    Their coffee is decent and the food is fantastic, but what I liked the best about this place was that South Side atmosphere: friendly, fun employees that seem to understand that even though it's 1pm, you may be eating breakfast because you just got up ;-)

• Singles

• t1teach1's Profile Photo

Max's Allegheny Tavern: Wonderful German Fare (and BREW)

by t1teach1 Updated Sep 5, 2004

The authentic German food here is delicious. The restaurant provides a real old-world neighborhood feel. It is located in the North Side of Pittsburgh, where it has been a neighborhood gathering place since the early 1900's. It is a quiet restaurant (it got busier when mostly locals came in for happy hour, but never got loud or rowdy.) We just had to make a second trip while we were in town. I tried the local Iron City Beer which is good. I would say it is similar to a Yuengling Porter. I loved the Dutch Club Dark. I believe Max's is the only place you can get it. If you go between 5 and 7, you can order 1/2 price appetizers and get $1 off of the already reasonably priced beers. Their website is very helpful and I listed it below.

Favorite Dish: The bratwurst dinner I had was delicious. The wurst wasn't huge, but since all of the accompaniments were delicious, the meal was just the right size. You have a choice of 2 sides with most meals. I chose the applesauce and mashed potatoes and gravy. Both were freshly handmade and absolutely delicious. The meal also came with a variety of breads, applebutter, a spiced apple, and sauerkraut. My wife ordered their breakfast buffet and she too was thoroughly satisfied. She really enjoyed the German Farmers' Breakfast, Potato Pancakes, and French Toast.

A dining room at Max's
    • Beer Tasting

• Chinacat1969's Profile Photo

The Pickle Barrel: Old Fashion Burger Joint

by Chinacat1969 Updated Oct 24, 2004

This restaurant make you feel like you have stepped back in time. As the window clearly states, hamburgers .79 cents. The Pickle Barrel has been open for over 34 years. It is decorated with old school lunch boxes from the 60's.

Favorite Dish: Hamburger and a coke.

The Pickle Barrel

• champagneskiier's Profile Photo

The Grand Concourse: Elegance

by champagneskiier Written Dec 27, 2004

This is a very fancy restuarant, the main dining room itself is gorgeous, and the river room has a superb view across the river of the city. Originally, it was the trian station and since has been turned into a very sophisticated restuarant.

Favorite Dish: For all of you who enjoy seafood, I would suggest the Maryland crabcakes, divine. They also have wonderful steak and lobster.

• Business Travel

• Tram's: Excellent Vietnamese

by LaureA Written Feb 24, 2005

The food is very very good. Try the pho (soup) or one of the noodle dishes. The ambience is nothing much but the food makes up for it. Evidently, there are good vegetarian dishes, but I like meat so I wouldn't know.

Favorite Dish: I had vermicelli topped with shredded pork, mini eggrolls, fresh vegetables and a sweet-sour sauce on the side. My mom had vermicelli with coconut milk in the sauce, which was not quite as good as mine, but still delicious. The pho is very good as well, and as traditional a Vietnamese dish as you can get.

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo

Pittsburgh Presse Deli: Coffee and all the free press you could want

by Zmrzlina Updated Jun 2, 2004

I only stopped in for a cup of coffee, but I'll go back to see what else this small café has to offer. I was impressed with the up-to-date selection of free newspapers, flyers and postcards announcing area events.

Presse Statues

• ykx86's Profile Photo

Sushi Kim: Sushi!

by ykx86 Written Sep 17, 2003

My fav place in Pittsburgh for sushi. It was a little out of the way from oakland but definitely worth the trip. Their sushi boat is the cheapest around pittsburgh and tastes great. Other than sushi, they also have many choices of korean food.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

The Original Oyster House - Market Sq, Downtown

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jan 1, 2011

The Original Oyster House is a local restaurant on Market Square just opposite of Primanti's. We stopped here because Primanti's was too busy for us to find a table. While we were obviously disappointed to miss a great Primanti's sandwich, the Oyster House has good food a fair prices.

When we entered the long narrow bar area, there were a couple of locals at the bar. By the time we left 45 minutes later, the restaurant had filled up quite a bit, mostly with Steelers fans. We ordered two cod sandwiches and a side of their "Pittsburgh chips" plus a couple of beers for about $25. The fish sandwiches were done to perfection, light crispy, fresh and flavorful.

The Oyster House is nothing fancy, just down to earth, good fried seafood.

• jls274's Profile Photo

Sharp Edge: My Most Visited- Sharp Edge

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Very good, but the wide variety of beer is the main attractant. The owner has been knighted in Belgium for doing so much to bring Belgian Beer to the US.

Favorite Dish: Dipping sampler- pick 3 dips

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Kenny B's Eatery

by frankcanfly Written Aug 6, 2004

I was intrigued by the Cuban 'style' sandwiches on the menu, so I went in. They weren't as good as described, I probably won't return. I've had real Cuban sandwiches.

• fa330's Profile Photo

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto: Great Seafood, Great Atmosphere

by fa330 Updated Aug 16, 2003

This restaurant is located on top of Mt Washington, overlooking the city of Pittsburgh. It's a more expensive restaurant, but the food and view are worth it!

Favorite Dish: Fried shrimp.

Pittsburgh Hotels

Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Central
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Pittsburgh locals.
Map of Pittsburgh