Places to eat in Pittsburgh

Most Viewed Restaurants in Pittsburgh

Mallorca: Interesting Spanish Cuisine

by evilprebil Written Aug 31, 2006

This is a great restaurant on the South Side. The ambiance is vibrant but it can have a nice romantic feel to it. The portions are huge and there are always interesting specials. You can get goat, roast suckling pig and emu. You can also get some other standard spanish fare such as paella.

Favorite Dish: Everything here is good.

Le Pommier: Understated class

by evilprebil Written Aug 31, 2006

This is a beautiful quiet french american bistro. I initially went here with my parents one Thanksgiving when they came out to visit me. We had no reservation and they were about to close, and yet they were able to accomodate us. The food was spectacular. I hadn't eaten shrimp in over ten years and this restaurant made me enjoy it again.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes seasonally as do most French inspired restaurants. It's not difficult to find something to your taste and even the salads are remarkable.

Piper's Pub: Travel to the British Isles

by evilprebil Written Aug 31, 2006

Best place to watch football (soccer) and grab something tasty to eat. The menu has authentic Irish pub food as well as american fare. There is quite a nice selection of beers on tap and in bottles from GB and Ireland.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

The Pickle Barrel: Cheap Eats!

by evilprebil Written Aug 31, 2006

The pickle barrel has a lot of simple food, though its mainly hotdogs. They have all sorts of different ways that they're prepared, mostly regional. I would usually try to get something different each time. The burgers aren't half bad either. They also have a cheap breakfast if I remember correctly.

• Tierney09's Profile Photo

Piper's Pub: Great Irish Food

by Tierney09 Written Sep 7, 2006

Piper's Pub is a small place on Carson St. in the Southside. It has a great small pub atmosphere in the evenings and is also great for lunch or dinner. I go there often and highly recommend it!

Favorite Dish: I have several favorit dishes. The Shepherd's Pie is the BEST. Also, it sounds odd, but the English breakfast is VERY good! (It's thick toast topped with fried eggs and a mixture of baked beans, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.) I eat it for dinner, too! I could go on and on, but I will say that I've never heard of anyone being disappointed with the food at Piper's Pub. (My sis is new to the city and she and her boyfriend love it!)

• Tram's: Excellent Vietnamese

by LaureA Written Feb 24, 2005

The food is very very good. Try the pho (soup) or one of the noodle dishes. The ambience is nothing much but the food makes up for it. Evidently, there are good vegetarian dishes, but I like meat so I wouldn't know.

Favorite Dish: I had vermicelli topped with shredded pork, mini eggrolls, fresh vegetables and a sweet-sour sauce on the side. My mom had vermicelli with coconut milk in the sauce, which was not quite as good as mine, but still delicious. The pho is very good as well, and as traditional a Vietnamese dish as you can get.

• t1teach1's Profile Photo

Max's Allegheny Tavern: Wonderful German Fare (and BREW)

by t1teach1 Updated Sep 5, 2004

The authentic German food here is delicious. The restaurant provides a real old-world neighborhood feel. It is located in the North Side of Pittsburgh, where it has been a neighborhood gathering place since the early 1900's. It is a quiet restaurant (it got busier when mostly locals came in for happy hour, but never got loud or rowdy.) We just had to make a second trip while we were in town. I tried the local Iron City Beer which is good. I would say it is similar to a Yuengling Porter. I loved the Dutch Club Dark. I believe Max's is the only place you can get it. If you go between 5 and 7, you can order 1/2 price appetizers and get $1 off of the already reasonably priced beers. Their website is very helpful and I listed it below.

Favorite Dish: The bratwurst dinner I had was delicious. The wurst wasn't huge, but since all of the accompaniments were delicious, the meal was just the right size. You have a choice of 2 sides with most meals. I chose the applesauce and mashed potatoes and gravy. Both were freshly handmade and absolutely delicious. The meal also came with a variety of breads, applebutter, a spiced apple, and sauerkraut. My wife ordered their breakfast buffet and she too was thoroughly satisfied. She really enjoyed the German Farmers' Breakfast, Potato Pancakes, and French Toast.

• Beer Tasting

• Chinacat1969's Profile Photo

The Pickle Barrel: Old Fashion Burger Joint

by Chinacat1969 Updated Oct 24, 2004

This restaurant make you feel like you have stepped back in time. As the window clearly states, hamburgers .79 cents. The Pickle Barrel has been open for over 34 years. It is decorated with old school lunch boxes from the 60's.

Favorite Dish: Hamburger and a coke.

• champagneskiier's Profile Photo

The Grand Concourse: Elegance

by champagneskiier Written Dec 27, 2004

This is a very fancy restuarant, the main dining room itself is gorgeous, and the river room has a superb view across the river of the city. Originally, it was the trian station and since has been turned into a very sophisticated restuarant.

Favorite Dish: For all of you who enjoy seafood, I would suggest the Maryland crabcakes, divine. They also have wonderful steak and lobster.

• Business Travel

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo

Pittsburgh Presse Deli: Coffee and all the free press you could want

by Zmrzlina Updated Jun 2, 2004

I only stopped in for a cup of coffee, but I'll go back to see what else this small café has to offer. I was impressed with the up-to-date selection of free newspapers, flyers and postcards announcing area events.

• ykx86's Profile Photo

Sushi Kim: Sushi!

by ykx86 Written Sep 17, 2003

My fav place in Pittsburgh for sushi. It was a little out of the way from oakland but definitely worth the trip. Their sushi boat is the cheapest around pittsburgh and tastes great. Other than sushi, they also have many choices of korean food.

• jls274's Profile Photo

Sharp Edge: My Most Visited- Sharp Edge

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Very good, but the wide variety of beer is the main attractant. The owner has been knighted in Belgium for doing so much to bring Belgian Beer to the US.

Favorite Dish: Dipping sampler- pick 3 dips

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Kenny B's Eatery

by frankcanfly Written Aug 6, 2004

I was intrigued by the Cuban 'style' sandwiches on the menu, so I went in. They weren't as good as described, I probably won't return. I've had real Cuban sandwiches.

• fa330's Profile Photo

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto: Great Seafood, Great Atmosphere

by fa330 Updated Aug 16, 2003

This restaurant is located on top of Mt Washington, overlooking the city of Pittsburgh. It's a more expensive restaurant, but the food and view are worth it!

Favorite Dish: Fried shrimp.

Pittsburgh Hotels

Best Western Parkway Center Inn Pittsburgh
Latest: Apr 7, 2014
Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Central

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Pittsburgh locals.
Map of Pittsburgh