Places to eat in Pittsburgh

• Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    Catching up with Old Friends in Dining...
    Fatheads Beer Wall
    Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale

Most Viewed Restaurants in Pittsburgh

Willow: Delish! Willow

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

It has been quite a while since I went- but extremely good food- over a year later, I still remember the crab cake! :)

The atmosphere is nice- dark and kind of trendy. If you would prefer to sit in couches and chairs in a living-room type setting over the traditional restaurant table, that is an option here!

Favorite Dish: Crab cake

The Georgetowne Inn: A great view- The Georgetowne Inn

by jls274 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My food was amazing, but my husband says that his was just good. The view was amazing and the service was pretty good. The atmosphere was like a cabin- warm with lots of wood.

Favorite Dish: The Pino Nior was sweet and spectacular. Great steak!

• MoNewcamp's Profile Photo

Azul Bar Y Cantina: Home of the Best Margaritas and Authentic Mexican

by MoNewcamp Written Jul 8, 2008

Friendly Staff and Great Food.

We like to go around "Happy Hour time" Not crazy busy and you get the chance to talk w/ the staff or owners.

Not anything like Chi Chi's -fresh food and authentic!
    Check it out for yourself!!

Favorite Dish: Jueves (Thurdays Special) Tamales

Nachos- can be a meal also!!

Escabeche

Roasted Jalapeno's

My husband loves and always recommends the Mar y Tierra (surf'n turf burrito)

Azul Aton (ahi tuna)

And of course the Maragritas, Sangria and the Mexican beers XX Dos Equis Amber and Cerveza

• Beer Tasting

• pehanna's Profile Photo

Zenith: Great brunch in an antique shop

by pehanna Updated Aug 12, 2008

For a great brunch, don't miss out on the vegetarian friendly Zenith. Located in the South Side, a little bit of a distance from the bar strip. The food is good and the atmosphere is truly pleasant. It's situated in an antique shop where everything is for sale, including the plates you eat on.

See: http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/restaurant-detail.html?vid=1194791078489&inline=nyt-classifier

• KET33's Profile Photo

Union Grill: Good, Classic American Fare

by KET33 Written Sep 13, 2008

Located practically right between The University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon, this is a popular spot for students, especially when parents who can afford to pay for it are visiting. The place is usually packed, which leads to long lines and sometimes slow service, but it's good food and worth the wait.

• Thai Cuisine: Good Thai Food

by estargrl88 Written Nov 21, 2008

One of the best Thai restaurants in the city. It's a pretty unassuming little place - not too fancy, not too expensive, but the food and service are both good. It's BYOB.

Favorite Dish: The House Noodles are one of my favorities, but everything I've had has been delicious there!

• ykx86's Profile Photo

Sushi Kim: Sushi!

by ykx86 Written Sep 17, 2003

My fav place in Pittsburgh for sushi. It was a little out of the way from oakland but definitely worth the trip. Their sushi boat is the cheapest around pittsburgh and tastes great. Other than sushi, they also have many choices of korean food.

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Fatheads Saloon: Best Beer Selection in Town!

by FatesWarn Updated Jan 15, 2015

I first went to Fatheads several years ago because a fellow bar patron recommended a sandwich there - I went for that sandwich (and I still get it every time I eat there), but I mainly go back for the beer wall. Years ago, the wall was mostly other brewers and a few house brews, now they have about 30-40% of the list and they're really good beers. The others are all carefully selected craft brews (they have Miller Lite and liquor for those who can't be bothered with trying something new - or just don't like craft beer for some reason).
    I recommend getting in early on the weekends to get the best chance at a seat at the bar because that's where you'll experience the awesome personalities of the bartenders and get a real feel for the buzz of the place (and a great view of the TV's when games are on).
    That sandwich: it's called the Southside Slopes - It has kielbasa topped with fried pierogies, American cheese, grilled onions, and horseradish sauce. It's amazing - if I lived there, I might order something else, but it's all I want when I'm there.

Fatheads Beer Wall Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale Again, Sometimes Husband Gets to Go Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    • Singles

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Waffles INCaffeinated Co.: It's Like Cold Stone for WAFFLES!

by FatesWarn Updated Jan 22, 2015

I love waffles and I love coffee, so when I spotted this place on my search for a new breakfast place not too far from downtown, I was sold.
    After sitting down and reviewing the menu, I quickly realized that this place is like Cold Stone for waffles... you can pick mix-ins and toppings for possibly hundreds of combinations. On this day, I was hungover and the thought of actually doing this on my first waffle from the joint was too daunting, so I chose one of their creations, Breakfast Magic. Yes, yes it was.
    The Breakfast Magic is a waffle with bacon, cheese, and green onion on the inside topped with more bacon and cheese and a fried egg (cooked to order) and sour cream. Wow! They also served it with bourbon maple syrup (served in a Jim Beam bottle :-)
    My dining companion had the BLT (with an egg); I didn't taste it, but it was wonderfully presented and well-liked.
    Their coffee is decent and the food is fantastic, but what I liked the best about this place was that South Side atmosphere: friendly, fun employees that seem to understand that even though it's 1pm, you may be eating breakfast because you just got up ;-)

• Singles

Sharp Edge Bar & Restaurant: Good Atmosphere and Good Company

by cjg1 Updated Mar 31, 2009

The Sharp Edge is a cool local bar/restaurant. The place has fifty beers on tap as well as a large selction of bottled beers. The beers are from various countries and they seem to have a large percentage of Belgian beer. The place has a nice sized bar and a dining area. We had a seat at the bar and enjoyed some drinks. The place is definitely a local joint but has a comfortable atmosphere. I could definitely see myself watching a game here and enjoying some drinks.

Liz and I enjoying a fun day My Augustijn and Jim's Delirium T checking out the large selection of beers So much on tap.... T&J
    • Beer Tasting

Bigelow Grille: Outrageous Food

by cjg1 Updated Jun 10, 2009

The Bigelow Grille was the restaurant located in the Double Tree in which we were staying. After a long day and evening we decided to come here for a bite to eat before heading upstairs to our room. The restaurant was a nice size with a dining room to one side and a nice bar area to the other side. The bar was an L shape with stools and had some small tables surrounding the perimeter.

We had a seat at the bar which was surprisingly quite crowded considering the hour. I ordered a Miller Lite and Liz had a club soda with lime. The menu had some nice choices but two stuck out for us: steamed mussels and flatbread pizza. We were hungry but not starving so ordering two appetizers was just perfect for us. For dessert Liz couldn't resist and ordered some creme brulee. The food here was incredibly good and I was quite surprised.

The service was a bit spotty and one of the bartenders kept complaining loudly about the managment. I felt any staff issues should have been kept behind the scenes and not aired in front of customers. The staff problems didn't impact the food quality or the fact we had a nice end to our evening.

Favorite Dish: The steamed mussels were incredible and served in a huge bowl. The sauce was a tomato cream with shallots, garlic and pernod. The mussels were serced with cruch garlic bread sticks which were perfect for dipping in the tasty sauce. The flat bread pizza was griled with tomatoes, garlic, arugula and gorgonzola cheese. It was a perfect portion and extremely good. Liz loved her creme brulee and I must admit it was very good; though it's not one of my favorite desserts.

Flatbread Pizza Creme Brulee Mussels Miller Lite & Club Soda

Big Jim's in the Run: Incredible Food and Portions

by cjg1 Updated Mar 31, 2009

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives featured Big Jim's in the Run in one of their episodes so I knew I had to try it. The place was rather easy to find once we had directions. It's in a very working class neighborhood in a non-descript building. The sign is the only way you would ever know there was a restaurant in the building; especially since the entrance was on the side street and not at the front. Inside the restaurant had two dining roms with basic tables and chairs. The decor is basic and it was a bit dark but we were here for great food not atmosphere.

The hostess was very nice and sat the four of us at a nice table for four in the smaller dining room. After perusing the menu we all ordered some drinks and our entrees. I had the Veal Parm, Liz had the White pizza, Jim had a sausage sandwich and Tennille had a meatball parm. The food was unbelievable and the prices were cheap. The service was on point and we had an awesome lunch.

Favorite Dish: I loved my Veal Parm sandwich which was a huge portion of veal and cheese on a gigantic italian roll. It was so large it looked as if they used an entire loaf of italian bread just for one sandwich. It was incredible and so worth finding the place.

My Huge Veal Parm Sandwich Liz's White Pizza The Big Jim's Sign Sauasge Parm Meatball Parm

Tessaro's: Good Burgers

by cjg1 Updated Jun 10, 2009

Tessaro's is a place that was mentioned to me as having incredible burgers. Jim and Tennille had never been to Tessaro's and were keen on trying it out. The place is a bit of a hole in the wall bar/restuarant but I am a fan of hole in the wall local joints. The inside is a bit dark with a nice bar area and several sections of seating. We were greeted at the door and quickly seated at a table for four. Our waitress was quick and handed us menus and took our drink orders. We all decided on burgers: Jim had a Bleu burger, I had a plain burger with grilled onions and Liz and Tennille both had an American Cheeseburger. The burgers cames with a choice of a side. I took the coleslaw while the other chose the potato chips. The burgers were very large and if I knew the size ahead of time I might have ordered the cooking temperature a bit differently. For the most part the burgers were good, they were not the OMG I was expecting. We washed down our burgers with some beer (Liz had Ice tea). I was glad to have seen and tasted the burgers for myself and wouldn't rule out coming back here to try another menu option.

Favorite Dish: The burgers were good but next time I will know how to order it right (the size definitely influences the temp). The coleslaw was very nice and Liz's chips were nice and crispy.

Liz's Cheeseburger and chips Taking my first bite My Burger with Grilled Onions

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Kenny B's Eatery

by frankcanfly Written Aug 6, 2004

I was intrigued by the Cuban 'style' sandwiches on the menu, so I went in. They weren't as good as described, I probably won't return. I've had real Cuban sandwiches.

Sharp Edge: My Most Visited- Sharp Edge

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Very good, but the wide variety of beer is the main attractant. The owner has been knighted in Belgium for doing so much to bring Belgian Beer to the US.

Favorite Dish: Dipping sampler- pick 3 dips

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Central
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Pittsburgh locals.
Map of Pittsburgh