Places to eat in Pittsburgh

• Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    Catching up with Old Friends in Dining...
    Fatheads Beer Wall
    Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale

Most Viewed Restaurants in Pittsburgh

• Tierney09's Profile Photo

Piper's Pub: Great Irish Food

by Tierney09 Written Sep 7, 2006

Piper's Pub is a small place on Carson St. in the Southside. It has a great small pub atmosphere in the evenings and is also great for lunch or dinner. I go there often and highly recommend it!

Favorite Dish: I have several favorit dishes. The Shepherd's Pie is the BEST. Also, it sounds odd, but the English breakfast is VERY good! (It's thick toast topped with fried eggs and a mixture of baked beans, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.) I eat it for dinner, too! I could go on and on, but I will say that I've never heard of anyone being disappointed with the food at Piper's Pub. (My sis is new to the city and she and her boyfriend love it!)

• Alexander's pasta express: Good Italian

by estargrl88 Written Nov 12, 2006

The food is very good, with large servings. Lots of different pasta options, but just because express is in the name doesn't mean it's fast food. Besides the regular entrees, there is also the option of choosing the pasta type, sauce, and any other toppings. There is the whole dim lighting atmosphere, and a warm feeling. In the summer there is an outdoor dining option. There is a bar also. I can't quite remember the pricing, and while it is not the cheapest place to eat, it is by no means a very expensive restaurant. For kids, you can also order half a serving (probably smart unless they're big eaters).

• Casablanca Bistro: too much

by stn Written Nov 18, 2006

The ambiance in this bistro is nice - warm tones, friendly owner. The WEB advertises a tasting menu which is no longer available. They should update the WEBsite. Instead, they have an expensive prix fixe dinner ($34). This was too much food. The entrees come with lots of vegetables and a risotto portion big enough for two people. It was good, but after a salad and this big entree, I could not really enjoy my dessert, which was very good, but also big. Perhaps the owner, who is also big, doesn't realize that most people don't eat that much. Smaller portions and smaller prices would really draw the crowds, because the food is quite wholesome, well-flavored and delicious. Just a suggestion for someone who thinks that this restaurant has very good potential.

Favorite Dish: Only went once.

• Religious Travel

• roadeagl's Profile Photo

Piper'sPub: Cold Beer on Tap and British Football on TV

by roadeagl Written May 27, 2007

Noisy, friendly crowd of all ages. Great draft beers from England, Ireland, Scotland as well as bangers, Scottish eggs, stews and many more domesticated entrees.

Favorite Dish: The salmon salad is the best in town. Always fresh and cooked to your liking.

• Beer Tasting

• Tusca Mediterranean Tapas: Great Restaurant for Sharing

by fmax Written May 27, 2007

Stayed one night in Pittsburgh and there was a write-up on this restaurant in a magazine in my hotel room. We decided to try it and weren't disappointed. It's located at southside works.

Tapas restaurant with a lebanase spin - none of the dishes could be faulted. The Poached egg in Purgatory was one of my favourites. Others we tried were the tzatziki, curry kafta flatbread, scampi bruschetta (probably my least favourite), grape leaves.

The blood orange sorbet is amazing as is the low fat almond pie.

The tapas, desserts (3) and a jug of Sangria came to approx $90

Would definitely go back.

Favorite Dish: Eggs in Purgatory definitely my favourite dish - the combination of flavours worked amazingly well together.

• latmedia's Profile Photo

Bravo Franco Ristorante: Great Homestyle Italian Food

by latmedia Written Jul 24, 2007

Located in Pittsburgh's theatre district, this unassuming little restaurant offers delicious, homestyle Italian cooking. The calamari were fried to European perfection and the Chicken Cutlet Parmagiana literally melted in our mouths. I would suggest the Tiramisu for dessert and stay away from the cannoli which wasnt very cannoli like at all. Price is right too,, dinner for two (we shared the chicken), with one drink and dessert, salad and calamari was only $55.00.

• Abruzzi's: If you love real Italian food

by susiebenpgh Written Aug 17, 2006

Abruzzi's, though located in the Holiday Inn Express, is not your typical hotel restaurant. The ambience is warm, with soft colors and lighting decorating the space.

Favorite Dish: I have tried nearly every item on the menu, and really cannot pick one as my favorite, though I am partial to the crabcakes. With jumbo lump crabmeat and just the right amount of breading, these cakes are then covered in a delightful bechamel and roasted red pepper that set them apart from other crabcakes I have tried.

I also love the Scrod Abruzzi and the linguine with white clam sauce (oil, not cream sauce).

Oh, and if I'm in the mood for steak, the steak au poivre (the only "french" item on the menu) is peppery and delicious.

• champagneskiier's Profile Photo

The Grand Concourse: Elegance

by champagneskiier Written Dec 27, 2004

This is a very fancy restuarant, the main dining room itself is gorgeous, and the river room has a superb view across the river of the city. Originally, it was the trian station and since has been turned into a very sophisticated restuarant.

Favorite Dish: For all of you who enjoy seafood, I would suggest the Maryland crabcakes, divine. They also have wonderful steak and lobster.

• Business Travel

• Tram's: Excellent Vietnamese

by LaureA Written Feb 24, 2005

The food is very very good. Try the pho (soup) or one of the noodle dishes. The ambience is nothing much but the food makes up for it. Evidently, there are good vegetarian dishes, but I like meat so I wouldn't know.

Favorite Dish: I had vermicelli topped with shredded pork, mini eggrolls, fresh vegetables and a sweet-sour sauce on the side. My mom had vermicelli with coconut milk in the sauce, which was not quite as good as mine, but still delicious. The pho is very good as well, and as traditional a Vietnamese dish as you can get.

• t1teach1's Profile Photo

Max's Allegheny Tavern: Wonderful German Fare (and BREW)

by t1teach1 Updated Sep 5, 2004

The authentic German food here is delicious. The restaurant provides a real old-world neighborhood feel. It is located in the North Side of Pittsburgh, where it has been a neighborhood gathering place since the early 1900's. It is a quiet restaurant (it got busier when mostly locals came in for happy hour, but never got loud or rowdy.) We just had to make a second trip while we were in town. I tried the local Iron City Beer which is good. I would say it is similar to a Yuengling Porter. I loved the Dutch Club Dark. I believe Max's is the only place you can get it. If you go between 5 and 7, you can order 1/2 price appetizers and get $1 off of the already reasonably priced beers. Their website is very helpful and I listed it below.

Favorite Dish: The bratwurst dinner I had was delicious. The wurst wasn't huge, but since all of the accompaniments were delicious, the meal was just the right size. You have a choice of 2 sides with most meals. I chose the applesauce and mashed potatoes and gravy. Both were freshly handmade and absolutely delicious. The meal also came with a variety of breads, applebutter, a spiced apple, and sauerkraut. My wife ordered their breakfast buffet and she too was thoroughly satisfied. She really enjoyed the German Farmers' Breakfast, Potato Pancakes, and French Toast.

A dining room at Max's
    • Beer Tasting

• Chinacat1969's Profile Photo

The Pickle Barrel: Old Fashion Burger Joint

by Chinacat1969 Updated Oct 24, 2004

This restaurant make you feel like you have stepped back in time. As the window clearly states, hamburgers .79 cents. The Pickle Barrel has been open for over 34 years. It is decorated with old school lunch boxes from the 60's.

Favorite Dish: Hamburger and a coke.

The Pickle Barrel

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo

Pittsburgh Presse Deli: Coffee and all the free press you could want

by Zmrzlina Updated Jun 2, 2004

I only stopped in for a cup of coffee, but I'll go back to see what else this small café has to offer. I was impressed with the up-to-date selection of free newspapers, flyers and postcards announcing area events.

Presse Statues

• ykx86's Profile Photo

Sushi Kim: Sushi!

by ykx86 Written Sep 17, 2003

My fav place in Pittsburgh for sushi. It was a little out of the way from oakland but definitely worth the trip. Their sushi boat is the cheapest around pittsburgh and tastes great. Other than sushi, they also have many choices of korean food.

• jls274's Profile Photo

Sharp Edge: My Most Visited- Sharp Edge

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Very good, but the wide variety of beer is the main attractant. The owner has been knighted in Belgium for doing so much to bring Belgian Beer to the US.

Favorite Dish: Dipping sampler- pick 3 dips

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Kenny B's Eatery

by frankcanfly Written Aug 6, 2004

I was intrigued by the Cuban 'style' sandwiches on the menu, so I went in. They weren't as good as described, I probably won't return. I've had real Cuban sandwiches.

Pittsburgh Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Central
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Pittsburgh locals.
Map of Pittsburgh