Primanti Brothers, Pittsburgh

4.5 out of 5 stars 19 Reviews

various

Primanti Brothers
    by Rabbityama
    Yes its really just one sandwich
    by littlesam1
  • Primanti Brothers
    by littlesam1
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Over-clap clap clap--rated

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 3, 2014

Holy overrated sandwich batman. I had the #2 best seller, and I almost asked for a refund. Fries were no where near crisp, slaw was bland, and the steak was just a poor cut of meat. The bread was definitely fresh, but it was the most flavorful component, and that was not what it was supposed to be.

I likely will not return, because I have checked this one off my list... all I can think is that it got all the press on the Food channel by buying its way on.

Favorite Dish: Nada.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Primanti's at Market Square

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Primanti's at Market Square

Similar to the original Primanti's at the Strip District, the Market Square location is just a tiny corner restaurant and bar with seating for about 30. The old fashioned tile floor, stainless steel counter, and of course the signature giant cheese steak sandwiches all lead to a great dining experience.

The menu at all 5 downtown locations is the same with the hot sandwiches topped with fries and slaw, along with a few other simple dishes such as chili, salads, and chicken fingers.

Unlike the original, the Market Square location is only open from 11am to 11pm. It is located just one block from PPG place and maybe 3 blocks from the cultural/theater district (Liberty Ave).

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: A Taste of Pittsburgh

by Rabbityama Updated Sep 5, 2010
    Primanti Brothers

Primanti Brothers can now be enjoyed in a few areas of Pittsburgh, but for the original sandwich and the authentic Primanti experience, the Strip District is the only place to go!

Whatever sandwich you choose will be served with cole slaw, tomato, and french fries on top! The sandwiches are reminiscent of Pittsburgh's past, as they were made for truckers to get a lot of food quickly so that they could drive for a long time without having to stop to eat. Although truckers still go there, it is most frequented today by locals and tourists looking for a taste of Pittsburgh! It has been featured on the Travel Channel numerous times, attracting even more visitors!

The restaurant is always busy and booming, but the food is good; definitely worth trying at least once while in Pittsburgh!

• Singles

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Primaniti Brothers: the best pie in the Burg

by richiecdisc Written Jan 1, 2010

enjoying some pie with old friends in the Burg

Primanti Brothers has been a sandwich institution in Pittsburgh since the early 1930s but took on particular prominence when it started putting french fries on those very sandwiches. With 15 locations in the greater Pittsburgh area and three in the greater Fort Lauderdale area, it may not be a chain but it's force to be reckoned with! Oddly enough, it did not start serving pizza till the late 1990s and that is what it's primarily noted for in Florida. I should know, we live in Fort Lauderdale and even though I'm a Philly boy at heart, I would have to stay, Primanti Brothers makes the best pizza in our new hometown.

Favorite Dish: We went to the Moon Township location, very close our local friends' house and it was a very bustling obviously local bar. The “pie” was every bit as good as in Lauderdale, maybe even better. We had a 14 inch cheese pie ($10.99) and a 14 inch white pie with spinach ($12.00). They had Sam Adams Oktoberfest on tap and that went perfectly with the great pies. This is a crispy pizza that you eat with your hands. Anyone using a knife and fork may as well write tourist on their forehead.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

The Primante Brothers: Gigantic sandwiches at Primante Brothers

by littlesam1 Written Nov 8, 2009

The Primante Brothers is one of Pittsburgh best known secrets. I saw a show on the Travel Channel about Pittsburgh and they did a feature on the Primante Brothers that was very interesting. The bar and restaurant specializes in huge oversized sandwiches. The sandwiches are stuffed with chopped up steak, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and topped with a handful of french fries and cole slaw all inside two large slices of bread. Its so large that you have to pull it apart to eat it. Was its good? Not really. Its was big just as advertised and it was not bad. But I would not give it a high rating on flavor. But if your in Pittsburgh give it a try. Its the tourist thing to do.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Original Primanti Brothers - The Strip District

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jul 16, 2009

Steak & cheese, IC Light, and some hot sauce

Primanti Brothers in the Strip District is Pittsburgh's most unique restaurant. Situated in a small hole-in-the-wall, Primanti's is open 24 hours a day and is always busy. Their specialty is sandwiches, most of which include sliced meat, coleslaw, tomatoes and French fries, all on inch-thick Italian bread. Add some Texas Pete hot sauce or a fried egg to complete your masterpiece. Sandwiches are around $5 each and IC Light beers are $3 a bottle.

My last visit to the Strip District location was at 2 am and I still had to wait 20 minutes for a sandwich because there were so many others in line ahead of me! But was it ever tasty! The place was so packed we had to sit on the bar side of the restaurant and walk over to the grill to order...pain in the ass but worth it!

The original location in the Strip District opened in 1933, and Primanti's now has 10 restaurants plus numerous stands in PNC Park. We used to eat at Primanti's every time we went to a Pirates game.

The Travel Channel rated Primati's as the 7th best place to "pig out" then the next year upped their standing to the world's 4th best place to "pig out."

• jls274's Profile Photo

The Original Hot Dog Shop or "The O": A Pittsburgh Classic, but Kind of Gross

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

For some reason people think this food is good, but it's not particularly to me. It was ranked 4th in the nation for gourmet hot dogs by the New York Times. The hot dogs have a tough exterior and the pizza is pretty awful.

Favorite Dish: The one redeeming factor is the french fries. (and I'm not even a fry type person) Locals enjoy when tourists come and order something larger than a small. There are three sizes of fry packages on display. Order a small and a brown bag (like for lunches) is filled with this cup, which is, then, turned upside-down on top. Order a larger size and they just use a larger cup to fill the bag :)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Wellknown Pittsburgh Restaurant

by VeronicaG Updated Sep 24, 2008

Super Big Sandwich

Primanti Brothers have been in the restaurant business for 70 some years. Their eatery in Pittsburgh's Strip district is legendary for towering sandwiches in a pubby atmosphere.

We spent Easter with our family recently and wanted to have lunch at Primanti's before departing for Texas. I ordered a humungous fish sandwich and my husband ordered a stacked ham and cheese--both were stuffed between thick slices of bread.

This is what Primanti's is known for, but if you add french fries to the sandwich, that's what makes it a stand out. We opted for the fries, but on the side.

The only menu is on the wall, where cheese steaks, knockwurst and cheese, capicola and cheese or sweet sausage and cheese sandwiches are featured along with other favorites. You won't find hamburgers or hotdogs here.

A breakfast special seems almost too good to be true: for $4.99 you get two eggs, ham,bacon or sausage, potatoes, tomato, cole slaw, toast, juice or coffee and is served from 6am-10:30 each day.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• NotBert's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: A side of Lipitor please!

by NotBert Updated Dec 17, 2007

I have the honor of dating a Pittsburgh girl (The most beautiful woman in the world.), and on a recent trip to western PA she had us stop in at the local Primanti's to initiate me properly. You may want to skip the appetizer and go straight for the sandwiches here, they're a meal in themselves. As a matter of fact there's only enough room in this review for the sandwich itself. OK I lied, the atmosphere is pretty much standard sports bar, now on to the star attraction! The Primanti's sandwich holds a legendary status among Pittsburghers. Originally crafted to curb the hunger of mid-shift steel workers you've got everything you need crammed between two slices of thick soft bread. I opted for corned beef (My New York roots are showing) with the works. When the sandwich came I quickly realized I needed a plan of attack. There's probably 3/4 lb of meat topped with cheese, french fries, cole slaw (Sweet and sour, it's more a marrage of slaw and kraut), and tomatoes. I was told I had to "Commit to it, once you pick it up don't put it back down. You won't be able to pick it back up in one piece again. Slide your pop close enough to be able to lean over and drink from the straw." Armed for battle I took my first bite and have been hooked ever since.

Favorite Dish: The sandwiches, no doubt. A lot of people I've described them to have trepidations regarding the fries being on the sandwich, but trust me on this, it works!

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Damn, that's a sandwich!

by Lhenne1 Written Jan 19, 2007

Mmmmm

This is possibly the most non-pretentious, enjoyable restaurant in town. There are a few locations around town, including on in PNC Park. It's diner-style, where you can choose to sit at the counter or at a little table. The staff is friendly, but the place gets packed late at night (especially in the Strip District) so be prepared for a wait.

Favorite Dish: Cheese Steak Sandwhich (not your Philly Cheesesteak): Italian bread, steak, cheese, coleslaw, french fries, tomatoes (I'm sure I'm missing something). Add some hot sauce on top.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Best sandwich

by evilprebil Written Aug 31, 2006

There's a reason that Primanti Brothers is a famous part of Pittsburgh. The sandwiches are great and cheap. I love how they pile the french fries in the middle of the sandwich. I'm salivating just thinking about it. If you eat at the counter you can watch all the food being made.

Favorite Dish: I personally like the corned beef and cheese on rye.

• Primanti Brothers: good enough for Natl. Geographic...and for me 2!

by RblWthACoz Updated Jul 11, 2005

A Pittsburgh tradition. This sandwich is huge. French bread with your choice of meat and coleslaw, fries, tomato, and cheese - all in one! I'd give $50 for a hot corn beef right now. The thing that makes it most unique is definitely the size of the sandwich. It is enormous.

Favorite Dish: Corn beef of course. It is good because of the combo of ingredients. The heat of the fries, the crunch of the cole slaw done just right (none of that mayo business - oil, vinegar, salt & pepper only!). I find it is best to eat after it has been wrapped to go. That way the sandwich is more compact, not so messy, and you lose less of it as you TRY and fit it into your mouth.

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Unapologetically Delicious

by MissAntarctica2002 Updated Jan 30, 2005

Primati Bros. - Pittsburgh, PA

We went to the Primanti Bros. in the Strip based on the recommendations of other VTers. Despite being initially daunted by how busy the place is and the long line, we persevered. It was worth the wait. For lunch hubby and I shared an order of cheese fries and a cheesesteak sandwich, with a dill pickle of course. The server was a bit gruff, but it was one of those cases where it is part of the charm and atmosphere of the place. Rather than plates, sandwiches are served on a piece of waxed paper. For me, the most interesting aspect of our lunch was having coleslaw right in the sandwich. That was a first for me, and surprisingly tasty. Because it is warmed up, it's almost like sauerkraut.

• champagneskiier's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: It's Almost Famous

by champagneskiier Written Dec 27, 2004

soooooo good

If you have never had a Primanti Bros. sandwich then you my friend have been missing out. Their sandwich's are huge, and are between two grilled pieces of bread topped with coleslaw and fat french fries. They're awsome.

• MaosRedArmy's Profile Photo

Primanti Brothers: Perfect way to end a night out in the City.

by MaosRedArmy Updated Feb 27, 2004

I call this place a deli, but yunz could classify it anyway you want - pub, italian, fast food.

For those of you who have only heard of Primanti Bros. sandwiches, they are part of Pittsburgh tradition.

Imagine a slice of fresh Italian bread with a meat of your choice - most popular = cheesteak, hot sausage, capicola, pastrami - a slice of melted cheese and then french fries and a vinegar-based cole-slaw piled on, all topped with another slice of Italian bread, then sliced in half.

I have taken many out of towners there and it seems the ones that have tried their first Primanti Bros sandwich at 2am or later (after several cocktails) seemed to enjoy the experience more so than those who tried a sandwich sober during the middle of the day.

This place serves up gut-buster specials, so if you are on a diet, or don't enjoy a good greasy sandwich every now and then, stay away.

I NEVER leave Pittsburgh before I have at least one Primanti Bros sandwich. Since they have a location inside Heinz Field, I usually grab one before kick-off at a Steelers game.

Favorite Dish: Hot Sau-saaaaaaaaaaage sandwich. The hot sausage at Primanti Bros.s is your typcial excellent Italian variety found throughout Pittsburgh.

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Hotels Near Primanti Brothers
3.5 out of 5 stars