Pittsburgh Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Pittsburgh

• Hill District

by SevenDays7Nights Written Jun 24, 2010

The Hill District has had its fair share of issues and it still has a poor reputation. I'm a student in Pittsburgh and I live in The Hill District because of the low cost of rent and its location relative to my school. I agree with most of the other comments regarding the area; the only reason you would have for being in or near this neighborhood, would be to attend an event at the arena. During hockey season I see a lot of drunk and clueless people from outside of the city walking through in the middle of the night. I would advise anyone not to do that. You stand out like a sore thumb and it's like walking around with a big target on your back. If you must walk through, just make sure to be in a big group.

Due to the poor reputation the neighborhood has (I've had more than a few cab drivers refuse to take me home at night), there is an eerie silence and sense of unease that falls over the area once the sun goes down. There's almost nothing to worry about during the day. For the most part, everyone keeps to themselves. People just need to remember to be aware of their surroundings, don't get distracted, don't stumble around like an idiot, and walk like you have a purpose and you know where you're going. Oh, and women, don't walk around swinging your purse...that is just asking for trouble!

To be fair, I've never had any problems that I haven't already encountered in other neighborhoods of Pittsburgh or any other city for that matter. In fact, the two or three MAJOR problems I've had since moving here took place in the Central Business District.

• Business Travel

• Mount Washington

by Momcollege Written Jul 25, 2012

Warning....my son is a college student and lives on mount washington . Last year him and his girlfiriend walked to a party at midnight ..they were causing no problems.... they were robbed by gunpoint. The police came , got their report, and left them on the street! never followed up at all .. terrible.. stay away!

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Pittsburgh warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pittsburgh sightseeing.