Pottsville Travel Guide

• Things to Do

Pottsville Things to Do

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 4, 2004

This is a great tour! You get to go through the 1st brewery and bottling plant for about a half hour and then...then the best part comes. You can to go to the "bar" where you are given two beers. It's all free too. Yuengling makes a variety of beers--the traditional lager, lager light, porter, chesterfield ale, premium and black & tan. Like I said on the intro of this page, it's a small scale brewery--what they bottle in a year, Budweiser bottles in a day. But it is the oldest brewery in America, founded and kept in the family since 1829. Originally called the Eagle Brewery, the name was changed to D.G. Yuengling and son in 1873...this explains the eagle logo. In 1999, they opened up a brewery in Tampa as well, so the distribution has increased substantially!

Personally I like the traditional lager and the black & tan.

• Beer Tasting

• marca's Profile Photo

by marca Updated Jan 27, 2003

VIsit the oldest brewery in the US. The cramped brewery is located right in town. They give tours Monday thru Friday at 10:00 and 1:30 with additional Saturday tours during the summer months. The gift shop is open 9:00 the 4:00. They will turn you away if you are wearing open toed shoes or any other shoes with openings. The highlight is at the end in the tasting room with gift shop.

• Pottsville Hotels

6 Hotels in Pottsville

81 Reviews and Opinions

Pottsville Hotels

Pottsville Restaurants

• marca's Profile Photo

by marca Updated Jan 31, 2005

I don't frequent sports bars but this was the only place open in town on the weekend. They have build your own burgers(my wife's favorite). I did not have the buffalo wings but they folks at the next table did and they smell GREAT!

Favorite Dish: Swiss cheese burger with mushrooms. The fries that came with it were the best I had in a long time.

• Beer Tasting

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    why go anyplace else?

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 4, 2004

What we can't figure out is why in the world was JFK campaigning or celebrating his victory in Pottsville??

When we drove by, we knew we had to go here. When you look closely at the picture, you'll see why. I mean, why wouldn't one choose this place? It's standard diner food, but the atmosphere just kept getting better the longer we stayed. For example, a woman walked in talking on her cell phone and for about 30 seconds, the sun came out. She felt this was significant enough to bring up in conversation. In fact, her exact words were "Oh, the sun came out, I think it's the end of the world" I would guess is something that doesn't happen much in Pottsville given her reaction and the gray cloud that seems to blanket the town

Favorite Dish: Anyplace that has pierogies on the menu is a great place for me. For the most part, each of us got something that could have been considered a bargain with our health. I even went so far as to order liverwurst, but they were out of it. I thought that would have been the perfect "coal region" meal, damn the consequences.

The service was good...we left the waitress a tip that probably was more than she got all day from previous customers combined

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Pottsville? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Pottsville

Comments

Pottsville Travel Guide
Map of Pottsville