Ricketts Glen State Park Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Ricketts Glen State Park

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

The Old Bulldozer Road Trail

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

This trail is misleading on 2 counts. Looking at the map, you see the trail and then north, where it connects to the Mountain Springs Trail, there is no name. So, I was thinking it was 2.9 miles back to my car. Nooooo...it's 2.9 miles to the Mountain Spring Trail.

2nd, the trail discription is this: "with its unique name, comes quite and elevation change. Although most of the trail is easy or moderate, a short section just up from the bottom is %very% steep"
    SHORT SECTION? More than half of this trail is straight up the side of a mountain. The other part is moderate, but it also seems to double as a creek. I didn't mind the water so much as the slippery mud. Also, on the map, there's an overlook. There definitely should be, you can peak out through the trees and see that you're definitely at the top. However, I saw no such overlook. Elevation change in the first half mile is from 1300' to 2200'. Straight up, too. In PA, that's a remarkable change...
    It's very pretty, though...I was the ONLY one on the trail (yeah, yeah...you're not supposed to hike alone...) other than wild turkeys, pheasants, deer, chipmunks and snakes.

You can't really tell, but the picture is where the moderate part begins. Still uphill, but not as steep...

• A Relaxing Picnic

by tamicles Written May 20, 2004

Our picnic

After our long hike we were hungry, tired, excited, and we didnt want to leave yet. Afterwards we decided to sit down in the picnic area and eat together. We had a cooler with our drinks and sandwiches. We just sat there and talked about how much fun we had and that we are making it our new weekend thing. I dont think most people do this. They just go on a hike and leave. I think the picnic is just the thing to do afterwards. Just sit and relax in the woods and eat your lunch and chat!

• Camping

• kazander's Profile Photo

Take notice of the little things...

by kazander Updated Mar 8, 2004

fern

you never know where somwthing beautiful may be.

It was mid-May and all the ferns were just beginning to grow. I spotted this little fern lineup and couldn't resist the photo op. They look like trees on a mountaintop, well at least they do to me;)

Instant Answers: Ricketts Glen State Park

Comments

Ricketts Glen State Park Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Ricketts Glen State Park off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ricketts Glen State Park sightseeing.

View all Ricketts Glen State Park hotels