Scranton Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Scranton

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Bob Evan's: Always a Great Breakfast Option

by cjg1 Updated Jul 14, 2011

Bob Evan's is a chain restaurant with locations throughout the U.S (yes, there are some good chain places out there). We were first introduced to Bob Evans several years ago in Ohio and have been fans ever since. During a recent trip to Scranton we were happy to find Bob Evans for a tasty breakfast.

The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also do catering and take out food. The food here is big portioned and big flavor with an emphasis on it being "farm fresh". The menu is a nice mix of favorites such as pancakes, omlettes, burgers, sandwiches, salads, soups, pasta, meatloaf etc. They also serve country style favorites such as fried chicken, buttermilk bicuits and country fried steak. Dessert always looks good with a nice selection of cakes and pies but we never have room for dessert after our meal.

My wife and I love coming her for breakfast. The food is incredibly good and the prices are very inexpensive for what you get. My favorite item here is the Spinach, bacon and tomato biscuit bowl. The bowl is a large biscuit filled with spinach, bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries topped with hollandaise sauce, shredded cheddar cheese and scallions...Yum! My wife loves their sweet cinnamon pancakes which she can never finish. The pancake portion is three large pancakes filled with sugary sweet cinnamon chips. She's lucky if she finishes one pancake; they are so big and fluffy.

We love coming here for good food and excellent service. Unfortunately there are no Bob Evans located in New York so we have to roadtrip south to find them.

Favorite Dish: The biscuit bowl is hands down my favorite!

• dorkthethird's Profile Photo

Thai Rak Thai: nummy+cheap=awesome.

by dorkthethird Written Apr 23, 2007

A BYOB restaurant near The Bog. NOT a good idea to bring small children in strollers, as the tables are very close together. (And its not the kind of place one would bring small children too anyway. --- That means you rude parents!!) the food is amazing and i try to eat there at least twice a month.

I usually go with one to two people, we share 2 apps., 3 entrees, and 2 sweets. (we bring 2 bottles of wine) and our bill is usually around $60-70.

Favorite Dish: Seafood in Love- shrimp, mussels, scallops and fresh squid in a spicy red sauce with rice.

I have everything from the sweets menu, my fave is the Thai custard. It has a bumpy texture and is served warm with lemon zest.

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Friendly's Restaurant: your money's worth....

by davecallahan Updated Mar 24, 2007

This has sort of a diner atmosphere with booths, tables and counter-stools. The menu is mostly American foods (probably some of them are prepackaged). (see the website below for the full menu list).

We stopped in for a quick light lunch. Soup and Salad for me (Chowder and Caesar). My wife got the Crisp Chicken salad bowl. We decided to try a dish of their signature ice cream. It wasn't at all bad.
    The waitress was quick getting the order and the cook got it prepared faster than expected considering the number of patrons in the place. Most of the people were interested in getting their food and getting on the road (like we were) so there wasn't much conversation noise.

All in all, this was a nice, clean diner with decent food and no complaints (even the price was a bit less than we normally set aside for lunch when we travel).

• dorkthethird's Profile Photo

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church: Greek Food Festival

by dorkthethird Updated Jun 14, 2005

Every June, the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, where Washington meets Vine, hold their annual Greek Food Festival.

The food ia amazing, made, in many cases, by people who moved here directly from Greece.

A cookbook is available, The Greek Gourmet, compiled of church go-er recipes, some of which are used for the festival itself. It costs around $13. I usually wind up buying one every year because my old one is caked in butter and dog-earred from daily use.

Those who don't want to dive into spanakopita (spinach and cheese squares) can test the waters with the many delicious sweets available.

I even met a nice lady who offered to help me better my Greek.

2005: June 7th to 11th.

Favorite Dish: Those nervous about diving into Greek food should start with the amazing desserts and sweets available.

My favorite is galaktobouerko, a vanilla custard filled pastry made with phyllo (fine sheets of flaky dough) and drizzled in a syrup that reminds me of a deep fried banana.

Don't worry about pronouncing anything! The desserts are described on the handout and are self-serve! Entrees usually come in one variety for each meat, so you can just say "I'll have the chicken/lamb/fish" and spend your meal trying to pronounce the endless string of vowels!

• Festivals

• annk's Profile Photo

Food Court: The Mall at Steamtown

by annk Updated Nov 12, 2004

The Mall at Steamtown

Food is not available in the park grounds but a ramp was built over the rails to The Mall at Steamtown. The glassed in area is the food court which overlooks the active train yard. It's worth the walk over the train yard even if you're not interested in the mall.

• Trains
    • National/State Park
    • Museum Visits

• giovannis pizzeria: garlic knots ,pizza and oh the cannollis are awesm

by aladdinsane500 Written Mar 27, 2004

its just a local place that serves great food not hype.its easy on off exit 190 interstate 81.family owned and operated by very nice people.places like this are hard to find.

Favorite Dish: we had garlic knots fresh baked by the owner.his garlic sauce made them.we had a chicken wing pizza with chick breast his own wing sauce and cheeses on a fantastic crust.then came cannollis.its an old recipie handed down from another generation.awesome food.the menu was huge too.

• Business Travel
    • National/State Park

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo

Cafeteria or Lounge: Junk food at gourmet prices

by Rhondaj Updated Jul 16, 2003

view from the lounge

Like all the ski resorts in the Poconos, the food here is very expensive. A burger, fries, and drink will run about 8 dollars. Many people bring lunches in coolers because of this highway robbery.

The seating area in the lodge is terrible. Most tables are covered with bags, coolers, coats, and filled with non-skiers just taking up space. So trying to find a place to sit with your 8 dollar lunch is nearly impossible.

When it came to dinner we decided to try the lounge. Whew! Much better! Still limited seating area, but we did get a table after a 15 minute wait at the bar. (no seating hostess, just grab your own) There was a great view of the slopes, beer of course, and the menu was better than the cafeteria choices with comparable prices, yet waitress service.

• Skiing and Boarding

• marca's Profile Photo

Farleys Eatery and Pub: Get your steak and seafood here!

by marca Updated Feb 10, 2003

Convenient to U of Scranton

Favorite Dish: Our group all had hamburgers or sandwiches all were under $8. I had something called a Porkett Tenderloin served on a hard roll with gravy. Very good! Large portions of appetizers.

Instant Answers: Scranton

Comments

Scranton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Scranton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Scranton sightseeing.