Getting Around Pennsylvania

Most Viewed Transportation in Pennsylvania

• traveldave's Profile Photo

Pittsburgh International Airport

by traveldave Updated Jun 10, 2014

Located about 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of downtown Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) is the second-busiest airport in Pennsylvania, and serves the western part of the state, as well as eastern Ohio and northern West Virginia. Occupying 12,900 acres (5,220 hectares) of land, the airport is the fourth-largest airport in area in the United States.

Pittsburgh International Airport handles domestic flights to most cities in the United States, as well as some international flights to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe.

Airlines serving Pittsburgh International Airport: Air Canada Express, American Airlines, American Eagle, Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Comair, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, jetBlue Airways, Mesa Airlines, Midwest Airlines, PEOPLExpress, SkyWest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, United Express, US Airways, and US Airways Express.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Septa

by tpangelinan Updated Apr 4, 2011

You can catch a bus any where in this city. For schedual information call the numbers below or visit the web site. Septa rules this town. As always be careful of strangers here! This is a great way to get around town.

Septra

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

PA Turnpike

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 18, 2009

Today, the 46,730-mile Interstate System includes approximately 2,900 miles of turnpikes. The PA Turnpike stretches 359 miles from Ohio to New Jersey, plus it has spurs totaling 172, mostly the Northeast Extension from the Philly area to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. The turnpike in PA includes Interstate 76, Interstate 476, Interstate 276, a small section of State Route 66, a chunk of Interstate 70 (where it runs along I-76), and in the future the long-awaited completion of Interstate 95.

Unlike parallel Interstate 80 to the north which does not provide access to any of the state's major population areas, the Turnpike connects all of the largest cities in the state. Included along the turnpikes are Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Allentown, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

I-70 entering PA heading to Turnpike

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Pennsylvania D O T

by davecallahan Updated Mar 30, 2007

Pennsylvania Department of transportation provides several links to webpages aimed at helping tourists to use the PA highway system.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdoccr.nsf/WelcomeCenterPage provides information on the welcome centers and rest areas in the region.

http://www.visitpa.com/visitpa/home.pa is the official tourism webpage with pointers to all the favorite sights in PA.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Workzone_map/map.html gives information on constructions and detours on major highways.

http://www.rwis.state.pa.us/site/site.nsf/MainPage?OpenFrameSet gives data about weather related traffic information.

Under the MORE LINKS option of the website below, you can also find info for trains, planes, buses and bicycling regulations.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Harrisburg International Airport (HIA)

by b1bob Written Oct 7, 2004

Actually, I never flew into here, but I was at Harrisburg International in June, 2002 while on a business trip. My boss' car broke down and we had to hire one from the airport. I do know that 8 major airlines offer about 120 flights daily to and from HIA, serving more than a dozen domestic cities and Toronto.

Harrisburg International Airport (HIA)

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Pennsylvania Turnpicke

by grandmaR Written Jun 19, 2004

The Pennsylvania Turnpike was originally part of the WPA after the depression. The first segment went from west of Harrisburg to Irwin (east of Pittsburgh). This 160 mile section was completed in 1940. We used the turnpike to go out west in 1948.

Now, the Turnpike is 531 miles in length with 57 fare collection facilities, 21 service plazas and two traveler information centers, 21 maintenance facilities, 8 State Police barracks and 5 tunnels

Map of the turnpike at the last Ohio turnpike stop
    • Business Travel

• kazander's Profile Photo

Roadtrip!

by kazander Written May 3, 2004

We always drive to and around Pennsylvania. It's the best way to really see everything. There are all kinds of things to see and do that will sidetrack you from your destination, and that's part of the fun! We have ended up at caverns, flea markets, airplane rides, go-karts, you name it!

Me and Lou in the car

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Philadelphia International Airport

by tpangelinan Written May 2, 2004

Philadelphia International Airport is large and spread out. Parking at the Long Term is so far you have to take a tram, Short Term is just a 10 min. or so walk. Make sure if you are flying out of Philly that you get there at least an hour+ before your flight, security will make you take your shoes off.

Philly International

Philadelphia's 30th Street Station

by b1bob Updated Apr 15, 2004

The Philadelphia 30th Street Station is a cavernous, 8-storey, old concrete frame building built in 1934. 30th Street is the corporate headquarters of Amtrak and is the largest existing and second most active railway station in America. There are about 30 shops and restaurants. Amtrak and Septa (local commuter) trains pass through here. The train information board has letters that shift with each update, different from the computerised arrival and departure monitors at Union Station, for example. I passed through here on my way back from New Jersey just after the turn of the century. I dreaded the nearly 4-hour layover in Philadelphia since I bought the ticket the previous September. I first checked with customer service to see if I could get on a train leaving there earlier. I just didn't feel comfortable there. This place was more foreign to me than any other country I had visited. The gentleman was a lot friendlier than I expected for Philadelphia. He pointed me to the ticket booth, gave me a magazine on Philadelphia, and we joked about the Philadelphia Eagles' chances of beating the upstart St. Louis Rams football team (the Eagles, like my Panthers, were substandard at the 1999-2000 American football season). I queued up to see if I could do better than a 4-hour layover in Philadelphia. The lady told me that everything was full at that point, but to come back in about 45 minutes. In the meantime, the next order of business was to find a place to take breakfast. I saw a McDonald's, but that would be a last resort- a very last resort. I walked around and saw a food court where I found a Dunkin' Donuts kiosk where I ordered a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant, a doughnut filled with strawberry jelly, and some coffee (which was better than I expected). After breakfast, I wandered back to the ticket counter, and they found me a train that would soon leave for Union Station in Washington. Before that train came, I bought a "Philadelphia" key chain for my friend who collects them and a couple of postcards.

30th Street Station: Philadelphia

SEPTA

by b1bob Written Feb 4, 2004

SEPTA is the acronym for Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority. Its trains, trolleys, and buses serve Philadelphia and surrounds including service just across the Delaware and New Jersey borders. It goes as far south as Newark, Delaware; as far east as Trenton, New Jersey; and as far north as Doylestown, Pennsylvania.

SEPTA commuter rail

• tompt's Profile Photo

Warning: Buggies

by tompt Updated Oct 31, 2003

Travelling in the south east of Pennsylvania you will probably encounter this sign.
    Be aware after this sign you can suddenly be behind a horse and buggy. The buggies are usually from the Amish people.
    They drive on highways but not at your speed, so take care.

Warning: Buggies on the road

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Getting There

by keeweechic Updated Aug 2, 2003

By Car : Major routes easily accessed include the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-95, I-78 and U.S. Routes 611 and 202.

By Air : Newark Airport and Philadelphia International Airport are about one hour away and Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton International Airport is within 45 minutes. Lancaster Airport has flights from more than 200 destinations daily. There is car rental and ground transportation available.

• ABL1958's Profile Photo

From New England I take I-84...

by ABL1958 Written Sep 12, 2002

From New England I take I-84 West to I-81 South and then you have a choice of either taking the PA Turnpike (90?) or continuing south into Maryland and following 58 West just north of Hagerstown. Take the exit for Hwy 40 West and that will take you into southwestern PA.

If you're with children you might want to consider, for fun, to take the Turnpike although I'm not sure it's any faster. The fascination for my kids is the long tunnels this route offers....going through the mountains. There are about 3 'pitch-black tunnels' (to quote my daughter) and the kid in me enjoys them as well! This is just a tip from a mother who has tried to find creative ways to entertain the kids on a long journey (450 miles):-) The PA Turnpike is a toll road, as are all 'turnpikes' in the northeast, but the cost is minimal. It is also far more scenic than I-81 and a nice break, as I-81 is a heavy trucking route.

• jaybird199's Profile Photo

The best way is driving....

by jaybird199 Written Aug 25, 2002

The best way is driving. Pennsylvania's road infrastructure is among the most extensive in the USA. I think it trail behind 1 or 2 states in terms of mileage. Various intersates criss-cross the states. Although the North Central part of the state is underdeveloped in the infrastructure department, it can be easily reached. Interstate 80 runs east to west in the central part. I-79 runs North and South in West Penn. The PA Turnpike(I-76) runs East and West as well, in the southern part. And I-95 runs through Philadelphia North and South. I-476 is the North East PA Turnpike. It runs throught he Pocono's. Major, modern, and effecient airports are located in Pennsylvania. Philadelphia International, located south of Philly, is new and handles major flights and carriers. Pittsburgh International is the pride of the city. It is clean, brand-spankin' new and houses an airmall. It has consistently been rated one the top airpots in the world. I have never met anyone who hasn't liked it.

*Please note that roads in Pennsylvania are considered some of the worst in the nation. They are bumpy, with potholes, and some are in need of repair. To top it off, many(in particular I-95 and I-76) are congested. In the winter, like most nothern states, roads do receive mantainance. Salt and cinder is put on roads in bad weather. But, they aren't often in good condition. But, despite this,(most likely BECAUSE of this) Pennsylvania drivers are well-seasoned, and are skilled at handling hazardous road conditions.
    The best way is to drive and in major cities-drive! Philadelphia, because of its size and importance, has a well-developed public transportation system. It consists of light rail, subway, and bus routes.

• Although some public...

by bebop88 Written Aug 24, 2002

Although some public transportation does exist, it is generally more convenient to travel by car. Pennsy has 2 major interstate highways crossing from East to West- I-80 and I-76, and two major interstates from North to South - I-79 and I-81, plus several other major interstates.

Pennsylvania Hotels

8 Reviews - 34 Photos
Scranton Hotels
49 Reviews - 74 Photos

Instant Answers: Pennsylvania

Comments

Pennsylvania Transportation

Reviews and photos of Pennsylvania transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pennsylvania sightseeing.
Map of Pennsylvania