Villanova Things to Do

A Post-Concert Mixer in Detroit
    by ExGuyParis
  • All we are saying is give peace a chance.
    All we are saying is give peace a...
    The Spires, Villanova 1973

Best Rated Things to Do in Villanova

Road Trip !

by ExGuyParis Updated Jun 4, 2005

Look for America

The summer of Junior year, I flew to Seattle with two friends, and then we drove across the country back to Villanova (in a VW bug!), What a great experience! It was my first time seeing the Pacific Ocean, Mount Rainier, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon... and days of corn (it seemed) in Kansas.

Whoa... was I ever really that thin?

Sing

The Spires, Villanova 1973

One of my passions while at Villanova was singing. I was a member of the Villanova Singers, a men's chorus that in those days had over 80 members, and The Spires, a smaller group that features guitars and bass. The Spires performed at all the Villanova Singers concerts, plus sang at a number of other events. One of my most memorable: singing for Hubert Humphrey, at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia, when he was campaigning for president. One of the songs we performed (sung to the tune of the Coke commercial): "I'd like to tell the world to vote, for Hubert Humphrey, He'll get our country back on track, and work for you and me..."

The Spires are still going strong today; see the web site for information on the current incarnation.

The most noted Spires member was Jim Croce, who had a good career and tragic death. One of the members of Manhattan Transfer was also a Spire.

Pray

by ExGuyParis Written May 27, 2005

Villanova U- St. Thomas of Villanova Chapel

Saint Thomas of Villanova Chapel. The chapel was built in 1883 in the Victorian Gothic style. A major restoration was completed in 1993, to my dismay. The modernization killed a bit of the Victorian Gothic spirit, I think.

I have fond memories from this chapel and the "guitar mass" days-- fine friends, great musicians, awesome voices...

"Love is but a song we sing
    And fear's the way we die.
    You can make the mountains ring
    Or make the angels cry.
    Though the bird is on the wing
    And you may not know why.

C'mon people now
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    Try to love one another right now"

Be A Clown

Be A Clown, be a clown, be a clown

One of the Villanova Singers... I can't remember, but I imagine this was taken around the end of October.

Now if there's a smile on my face
    it's only there tryin' to fool the public
    but when it comes down to foolin' you;
    Now honey, that's quite a different subject

But don't let my glad expression
    give you the wrong impression
    Really I'm sad
    I'm sadder than sad
    You're gone and I'm hurtin' so bad
    Like a clown I pretend to be glad

Now there's some sad things known to man
    but ain't too much sadder than
    the tears of a clown
    when there's no one around

Road Trip Again!

by ExGuyParis Updated Jun 5, 2005

Slowly I turned, step by step...

So if a boring weekend is on the horizon, make a decision to do something radical... pile a bunch of friends into a bunch of cars, nab some tents, and drive to Niagara Falls.

One of my life's most amazing experiences happened on this camping trip. When I walked out of my tent at dawn the first morning, there were thousands of worms suspended above the ground, hanging from trees on silken threads. It was one of the weirdest, must surreal things I've ever seen (or walked through).

Hang Out in the Dorm

by ExGuyParis Updated Apr 4, 2011

Villanova, Fall Semester, 1971

Dorm Life: Two people live in a space about the size of a walk-in closet. I was fortunate to have a roommate who was much more than tolerable.

Here, a bunch of my friends and I hang out in my dorm room, in what was then called "The New Dorm." It eventially was baptized "Stanford Hall."

Fall In Love

by ExGuyParis Written May 27, 2005

Gather Ye Rosebuds...

I was always fascinated by this carved stone at the corner of Lancaster Pike and Route 320, just off the Villanova campus. And I've alway loved this photo I took of my friend Dave and his girlfriend. The stone is from a long-lost Villanova mansion.

I've Photo Shopped out the gas station and realtor signs, just to up the romance factor a bit. The quote on the stone is the first verse of a poem by Robert Herrick. The full poem:

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
    Old Time is still a-flying:
    And this same flower that smiles to-day
    To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
    The higher he's a-getting,
    The sooner will his race be run,
    And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
    When youth and blood are warmer;
    But being spent, the worse, and worst
    Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
    And while ye may, go marry:
    For having lost but once your prime,
    You may for ever tarry.

Sin

by ExGuyParis Updated Jul 10, 2005

Here's What We Think of Parietals!

Seated, left to right; Patti, Mary.

Two things are very wrong in this picture.

1. There is a female in our dorm room. This was a huge "thou shalt not" when I was at Villanova. Females were NEVER allowed in a guy's room, and vice versa. We obviously thought that was a very stupid rule.

2. The second very bad thing... two rocking chairs we "borrowed" from the porch of the convent at nearby Rosemont College. (We eventually returned them. Catholic guilt is a powerful force.)

Oh, we were bad!

Have a Picnic

by ExGuyParis Updated Jun 6, 2005

Villanova Very Cool People

Why are so many of my finest memories associated with an event at which a keg was present? The Villanova Singers offered many such events.

Here, brothers Stan & Dave, plus Ted, along with Ted's wonderful Bryn Mawr girl friend-- all very cool people.

Amazingly, I've just reconnected with Stan and Dave, after a lapse of 32 years; the wonders of the Internet never cease to boggle my mind.

Party Like A Fool

There's no fool like a July Fool

July 2, 1972-- the morning after the first annual July Fools' Party. My great friend Ippi had this party at his parents' home in West Orange, NJ. This shot is from the backyard of this house (even though it looks like we are in some wonderful wilderness!).

This tradition has continued for decades, with just a few interruptions (The 29th July Fools' Party takes place in July 2005). Now there are several generations that participate. There is always a good number of Villanova Singers there, plus a lot of beer... so the music always gets better as the day goes on!

Go On Tour

by ExGuyParis Updated Jun 3, 2005

Laughing on the bus, playing games with the faces

Periodically, the Villanova Singers would pile onto busses and hit the road. We typically sang at Catholic Girls' Colleges, in Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburg, NYC, Boston... I have many fond memories of the concerts and the social aspects involved. A number of my singer friends are still married to those sweet women they met on the road!

One of my fondest tour memories: our director got "snowed out" of a concert. We were already in Chicago, but he got snowed in in Philadelphia. After a lot of "Now what the hell do we do" discussions, I ended up directing the choir during our concert. What a rush... moving your arms and hands, and having 80 powerful voices follow your motions.

Discover Talent

Pavarotti, Younger & Thinner

There is a train station on the Villanova campus. In about 30 minutes, you can be in Philadelphia and enjoy all the cultural events the city offers. This is a program from a recital at the Academy of Music. A young tenor, Luciano Pavarotti, was rather impressive!

The Academy of music began its life as an opera house, then served as home to the Philadelphia Orchestra for many years. It now is home for the Pennsylvania Ballet and the Opera Company of Philadelphia.

Mix

by ExGuyParis Updated Jun 8, 2005

A Post-Concert Mixer in Detroit

The Villanova Singers often paired with a girls' choir at a Catholic girls' college. Each choir would perform separately, and then they would pair for a few major numbers. Singing was always fun, and so were the social events after the concerts. Here, a scene from a "mixer" after a concert in Detroit.

Commune

by ExGuyParis Written Jun 3, 2005

Can You Picnic?

Villanova offers a variety of contrary options. Philadelphia is a short trip. Valley Forge Park is nearby. Adjacent towns such as Wayne offer a variety of restaurants, coffee houses, and movie theaters.

Here, we commune with nature and each other. Communing sometimes works: the Immaculata girl and her Villanova guy have been married now for years.

Learn the Alma Mater

by ExGuyParis Updated Jan 11, 2008

Veal, anova, Veal, anova...

By Al Dubin and Joseph Burke

The two men responsible for Villanova's Alma Mater have a pretty impressive songbook, including works such as I Only Have Eyes for You, We're in the Money, Forty-Second Street, Shuffle Off to Buffalo, the Academy Award winning Lullaby of Broadway, and the infamous Tip Toe Through the Tulips With Me.

The Villanova Alma Mater

When the twilight shadows gather
    Out upon the Campus green,
    When the blue and purple night
    Comes stealing on the scene
    Loyal heirs of Villanova
    Sing a hymn of praise
    To our dear old ALMA MATER
    And our College days.

Villanova, Villanova
    When we leave your shelt'ring walls,
    We shall leave an echo ringing
    Through your treasured halls
    We will leave an echo ringing
    In the silent night
    While our memories are singing
    Of the Blue and White

When the last big game is over
    And the last roll call is heard
    When the oldest pedagogue
    Has had his final word
    We shall come to ALMA MATER
    In our dreams again
    With prayer for Villanova
    And a sweet amen.

Instant Answers: Villanova

Comments

Villanova Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Villanova things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Villanova sightseeing.