Waterville Travel Guide

Blackwell Bikes
  • Sports & Outdoors

Waterville Restaurants

by Geoff_Wright Updated Oct 30, 2003

This is the place for your typical American Breakfast. And at $2.99 a head you can't grumble.

The restaurant is run by Beth Heverly, aided by her extremely helphul husband, Park.

if you visit here, just remember mary and me to Beth and Park. Thanks.

by Geoff_Wright Updated Oct 30, 2003

As we were all 'non-smokers', we had a complete area of the restaurant all to ourselves. A bit of a shame really, as there was lots of space within the main restaurant area, which was full of the most interesting artefacts, although there were lots surrounding us also.

The hotel was built in 1825, and you will notice a slight slope to the floor as you walk on it, haha. Nothing to worry about, we were told.

Favorite Dish: As always, Judy and Mary had far too much on their plates. Mary always thinks she is more hungry than she really is. As for me, well, I had the famous 'Mountain Burger', and it waas delicious! By far the best 'burger' I've ever eaten.

Judy and Mary feasting

by Geoff_Wright Updated Oct 30, 2003

It's the only real eating place in Waterville, but beware! It closes quite early in the evening, just after 8 pm if I remember correctly. Built in 1825), its oward appearance belies the ambience and warmth to be found inside.

Waterville Shopping

by Geoff_Wright Written Oct 30, 2003

Cedar Run is a small township perhaps 18 or 20 miles North of Waterville, on Highway 414. It wouldn't be practical to do a Cedar Run page of only one or two items, so I've placed it here with Waterville. Same river!!

What to buy: The store has most things that locals and visitors would want to buy. Delicious sweets, and lots of different ice creams. Well, we just had to try the icecream!

Like most establishments in these 'wild' parts, this store closes throughout the winter months.

Oh yes, just as a reminder for myself, the storekeeper asked me a question about what was on the back of a Tennessee 25 cent coin. Well, I did know the answer to that one. I knew it was a horse, so I replied: "A Tennessee Trotting Horse?" "No", he replied, "A quarter horse"! Very funny, hahaha. (Anyone in the US who collects the State Quareters will understand this - I hope).

Mary and Judy shopping again

by Geoff_Wright Updated Oct 30, 2003

You won't miss the local store, on Highway 44. It's a typical gas station, and a general store. The store has great clothing, sweatshirts, caps, etc, with the Pine Creek motif on them, the area being central for all sorts of hunting. A good supply of local postcards too, for sending to your VT friends.

View from the Gas Station/Store

• Waterville Hotels

0 Hotels in Waterville

Waterville Warnings and Dangers

by Geoff_Wright Written Oct 30, 2003

Almost anywhere you go in Pennsylvania you will encounter wild animals roaming over the roads. these are usually deer, which migrate at night, but can also be Moose, which, if you hit one, will seriously damage your car and your health! Even in the daytime you will encounter these animals, as we did in New Hampshire, when a moose decided he wanted to cross the road in front of us.

Whilst travelling up the Pine Creek Road, we had two wild Turkeys fly across in front of our car.

The one here, being clobbered by Mary, is in the Restaurant at the Waterville Hotel.

mary and Turkey

Waterville Sports & Outdoors

by Geoff_Wright Updated Nov 11, 2003

A view of the cycle/hiking path area at Blackwell.

You can see Judy and Mary in the background. Just after I took this picture, Mary let out a loud yell! she had had an encounter with some North American wildlife! I never saw it, but Judy said it was just a "li'l old grass snake", hahaha. Mary said it was HUGE, hahah.

The Pine Creek Trail travels along the floor of Pine Creek Gorge, which is one of the most spectacular natural areas in Pennsylvania. Pine Creek Gorge is often referred to at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, and was recognised as a National Natural landmark in 1968 (See my Leonard Harrison State Park page).

by Geoff_Wright Updated Nov 11, 2003

From Waterville (and beyond) there is a fairly new cycle and hiking path, which follows the route of an old Railroad Freight line, long since abandoned. The 62-mile long trail is being opened in sections, and currently the trail runs for over 42 miles, from Ansonia to Waterville, and, naturally, it is all fairly easy going along the old trackbed.

We walked along part of the track, really to exercise Judy's dog, and I found this strange dwelling, with what looked like a bicycle hanging from the trees. It WAS a bicycle!! And from here you can hire your bike to take you along the picturesque track!

Blackwell Bikes

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Waterville Favorites

by Geoff_Wright Updated Oct 30, 2003

Favorite thing: Just a nice little place by the Pine Creek River, on the way up Highway 414 from Waterville. The drive along this highway is very beautiful, and in late September, there weren't too many other vehicles on the road. Just as well, as it was rather narrow in parts.

Slate Run

Instant Answers: Waterville

Comments

Map of Waterville