Bristol Local Customs

Rope Walk

Best Rated Local Customs in Bristol

Preserving an 1800's lifestyle

by Pawtuxet Written Dec 17, 2006

The architecture of Bristol is dominated by the 1800's...from the mansions to the smaller Greek Revival cottages and the rows of homes on tree lined streets that stand with porches end to end ... rocking chairs inviting a moment of rest.
    The whole atmosphere of the town is pleasing to me, and so whenever they are having a house tour, I try to get there to enjoy the interiors as much as the exteriors of this well preserved pearl along the bay. Here I offer several views of the smaller homes along our tour, which I find equally as appealing as the larger Linden Place or Blithewold estate.

The Rope Walk

by Pawtuxet Written Dec 17, 2006

Rope Walk

Past generations used to create their own ropes for the seagoing vessels of the town in a funny structure known as a "rope walk". It had to be long and narrow to accomodate the length of the rope they were twisting into a sturdy length to service the men of the sea. A friend pointed out Bristol's rope walk as we went along our walking tour recently. I hadn't seen one before altho I was aware of their existance. We had one in my village, but unfortunately it was lost many years ago. I was glad to find a surviving example of the old craft.

Whirlygigs and chickens

by Pawtuxet Updated Oct 1, 2009

whirly-gigs galore

I love whirlygigs and have several around our back yard.
    Along our way at the recent house tour, I spotted this ingenius rendition of back yard whimsy. Whoever did it has inspired me once again. I NEED MORE WHIRLY-GIGS!!

This creative gardener (pic 2) has figured out a way to get lots of them into one space...and it's pretty interesting looking!

• Farm Stay
    • Eco-Tourism

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

How bout a waterfront condo?

by Pawtuxet Written Apr 6, 2008

I happened to visit a fellow agent marketing a waterfront condo and thought you might want to glimpse the interiors and the views from this very expensive nest.....

Instant Answers: Bristol

Comments

Bristol Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Bristol local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bristol sightseeing.