The Wharf Pub, Newport

Know about this? Rate It!

Magners & Sauvignon Blanc
    Tasty Nachos
    Liz anjoying her wine
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

The Wharf Pub & Restaurant: Stopping in for a quick drink

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

Relaxing with a beer

This bar/restaurant is located on Bowen Wharf and a great place to grab a few drinks or even a bit to eat. Although a nice place to hang out, this isn't our choice of bar in Newport for the simple reason that they do not carry my Leffe Blonde. If I'm not having a Leffe Blonde, we will stop by when we are walking along the wharf, especially after some shopping.

The restaurant is a nice size and during the warmer months, you can enjoy outdoor seating on the deck. We usually make our way to the bar and have our drinks there. The bar is quite small holding about 10 people. The bartenders are young and aren't very attentive.

We haven't ordered anything to eat here, drinks is what we normally order. I will either have a Blue Moon or a glass of wine and Ferni usually has a Heinekin. It's a cozy bar and we we have a nice time with our drinks and just talking.

During one of our earlier visits witnessed the bartender making a very disgusting drink. Some oysters, and a few other ingredients make an "Oyster Slammer" (I think that is what he called it). He told us that they they are known for them and many people ask for it. Okay, quite disgusting if you ask me.

There is a popcorn machince with a sign indicating to ask the bartender for some popcorn.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Wharf Pub: Great Place to Relax with a Drink

by cjg1 Updated May 28, 2010

Magners & Sauvignon Blanc

The Wharf Pub is one of our favorite spots to grab a drink when wandering Newport. We are often in this area shopping and a nice drink is the perfect way to relax. My wife and I like to sit at the bar when we are here and fortunately we have always found a seat (there are very few seats in the bar and it does fill up fast; timing is everything). Despite the crowds we have always had good service and good food (Nachos only).

The place has a good selection of beer, wine and drinks as well as food items available. When we come here I usually get a Magner's while Liz enjoys a glass of Sauvignon blac or a club soda with lime. The nachos here are excellent and are more than a meal for two people; we have never finished a portion.

The Wharf Pub is a hopping spot considering it's in a prime location so be prepared for crowds. I don't mind the bustle of people here; it actually makes it fun interacting with other patrons. They always have a sporting event on the TV's so we have often caught a bit of a baseball or football game during our time here.

Dress Code: Casual