Busker's Irish Pub, Newport

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Busker's Irish Pub: Drinks are good...food, so, so

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

My Bourdock Fish & Chips

We were walking along Thames Street doing a little shopping when I suddenly became a bit hungry and decided to try this place out.

The restaurant/bar is quite nice with a few booths large enough to sit a party of 6, a nice size bar, scattered tables and an upstairs dinning section. As we entered we were immediately seated in a booth and handed menus. The menu has the typical Irish fare and a few other interesting items as well as a nice selection of beers including my Leffe Blonde, bur I decided to have a soda with my lunch.

We looked over the menu and I decided to have the Bourdock's Fish and Chips and Ferni had the chicken strips with Busker Fries (he later changed it as the fries weren't good at all).

The waitress brought our drinks, took our order and disappeared. The restaurant was crowded but manageble, but we couldn't understand the long wait for our food. When our order arrived we noticed the Busker fries looked a bit burnt! Yuk, I don't like burnt fries and Ferni doesn't either. I was a bit displeased but figured the fish should be good, but that too was not so good. It had way too much batter masking the fish. I decided to remove most of the batter and see if the fish was good, which to my surprise what quite good. I didn't touch my fries and when the waitress came by to ask how was everything, Ferni mentioned the fries, whcih she promptly removed and said she would bring another plate. She later brought him a plate of regular shoe string fries which were so much better.

The service was okay, nothing extraordinary and the food was the same, okay....I'd give this place another shot when it comes to the food and probably order something along the lines of a burger, which everyone esle seemed to be enjoying.

** Ferni and I decided to come back later on that evening as I had noticed they carried my Leffe Blonde, my favorite beer. As the bar was quite crowded we sat a yet another booth. To my disappointment, they were out of Leffe Blonde**

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Bourdock Fish & Chips which was a bit of a disappointment. The fish had too much batter, but the fish itself was quite tasty, I dissected the batter off the fish which made a big difference. Ferni had the chicken strips which he said were just okay...the Busker fries weren't what we would call good, so we changed them for shoe string fries.

The food was okay, nothing great, so if I do come again for a meal, I will probably try their burger.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Newport

Comments

Hotels Near Busker's Irish Pub
4.0 out of 5 stars