Cafe Zelda, Newport

by cjg1
    Mesclun Salad
    by cjg1
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Cafe Zelda: Which Way to Go?

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2009

Mesclun Salad

Zelda is a place we stopped in just to grab a quick bite before heading back to get ready for dinner.

It is presented in two distinct sides. The bar and then the dining room.

The bar where the main entrance is was jam packed. We made our way into the dining room and had to wait a few minutes for someone to come and seat us. But the service improved greatly, and the food was quite good.

Favorite Dish: Liz had the Mesclum Greens Salad. It was loaded with pine nuts, roasted tomatoes and gorgonzola cheese. She loved it! I had the fried Calamari and a Newport Storm Ale. The calamari was very good and crispy. I like the pepperoncini they served on top for added spice.

This was just a snack for us but I did like the food and will eat here again even if I'm not in a rush to get another Newport Storm.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Cafe Zelda: Cafe Zelda

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

Burnt burger, greasy limpy fries

We were looking for a place where we could grab a late night meal and a few drinks within close proximity to our hotel and we happen to come across this place. You enter from a corner door which is directly in the bar area with the dinning area just behind in a separate room. The restaurant was empty aside from us and another table but the bar was pretty packed. We decided we wanted to sit and grabbed a table in the dinning area. The decor was quite nice, but the food and service was horrible.

Although the restaurant was empty, it took the waitress a long time to bring us menus and take our drink order. This was the beginning of what Ferni would describe as one of his worst meals ever. We both decided to go with the burger and fries and Ferni ordered a Heinekin and I decided to stick with water.

It took over 1/2 hour for our order to come out and when it did, it was horrible. The fries looked like they were sitting on a grease vat, they were limpy and super greasy. The burger was burnt on the outside beyond recognition but raw on the inside. It was horrible. I took a few bites of my burger before I decided I just couldn't take another. Ferni was so disgusted with his meal that he lost his appetite.

The waitress came by one more time to ask if we wanted dessert, we both looked at eachother and said NO. She looked at our plates and just shrugged and wisked them away bringing our check thereafter.

Ferni was quite upset about our meal and wanted to say something to the waitress but I didn't want this horrible meal experience to ruin the beginning of our weekend and asked that he not say anything. We decided to just pay and chalk this up to a really bad meal experience. We did leave the restaurant hungry and decided to have some pizza instead. We were laughing cause we could have avoided this whole bad experience if we would have followed our instincts and just have pizza and beers instead.

Oh well, needless to say we will not be eating here again.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Cafe Zelda: Good food and a great atmosphere.

by Herkbert Written Jun 19, 2009

Cafe Zelda

The restaurant is located in the tourist area on Thames St., but don't let that stop you from going there. The food was delicious and reasonably priced, and the service was very good.

As it was pretty crowded, it was a little noisy, but not so much that you couldn't carry on a normal conversation.

I would recommend that you give it a try.

Favorite Dish: I had the Steak Frites, which was perfect. My wife had the striped bass, which she also enjoyed very much.

Instant Answers: Newport

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Zelda
4.0 out of 5 stars