Cooke House Restaurant, Newport

4 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

Sancocho
    by cjg1
    Enjoying Lunch (March 2013)
    Mussels
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Cooke House Restaurant: Cooke House Restaurant

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 30, 2014

The Cooke House Restaurant is conveniently locted here on Banister Wharf. They have a very large brunch, lunch and dinner menu to suit anyone.

The restaurant has a nice menu to please anyone, even those who do not eat seafood.

The restuant is decorated in nautical theme and is quite appealing. We were seated at a nice table for two and were given our menus. We both decided what we wanted and the waitress came over and took our drink menu along with our food order.

I ordered the Calamari Fritta and a cup of the clam chowder. My love had a burger and fries. They were both excellent. My love was surprised at how good his burger was.

We had a good lunch here and would definitely come back on our next trip.

Favorite Dish: The burger was $8.95 while the fries were $4.25. I had the cup of Newport Chowder which was rich, creamy and so delicious for $5.95 and also ordered the Calamari Fritta which was excellent, crispy and quite delicious for $10.95.

• Wine Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Clark Cooke House Restaurant: Great Lunch with a View

by cjg1 Updated Apr 10, 2013

This restuarant is a favorite of my wife. She has fond memories of coming here with her family throughout the years which makes it a special place to grab a meal in Newport.

The restaurant has many areas within this large historic building in Bannister's Wharf . The hotel is one one side and there are several dining venues throught the building all with different names/themes(The Candy Store, The Bistro, The Porch, The Club Room). There are also several bar areas and a nightclub. The menus here differ from each area and have additional items and specials depending on the season. There are always some tasty seafood selections, soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and appetizers for any palate to find appealing.

Our last visit here we were seated in the Bistro for lunch (we prefer the Candy Store but understandably on such a nice day it was all full up). Our table was in close proximity to the lower dining area so we still had a nice view of the water. Our waiter brought us some water and took our drink order. I chose a beer with my meal and my wife ordered a Bellini.

As I perused the menu I was able to see the specials on a chalkboard behind me and wondered what indeed was Sancocho. Our waiter arrived for our lunch order and I inquired about the Sancocho. I was told that Sancocho is a portugese soup with pulled pork and vegetables. Done, I wanted it; so I ordered a cup of the soup(it also came in a bowl as well). As for my entree I chose the Seafood Sandwich with fries. My wife who is an avid lover of mussels chose the Native Mussels in a white wine tomato broth.

As we enjoyed our drinks; we fully appreciated the beautiful weather through the large windows. My soup arrived rather quickly and smelled delicious. I have to say this was a most excellent soup; the pork was tender, the broth was well seasoned and the sprinkling of avocado on to was so good. I was glad though to have just ordered a cup and not a bowl; the cup was very filling.

Our entrees as well were excellent. My Seafood Sandwich was very tasty with large chunks of shrimp, crab and scallops in a tarragon dressing on a brioche roll. The roll was a perfect choice for the seafood. Liz loved her heaping plate of mussels. She remarked at how large the meat was and the flavor of the broth. We were both very happy once again with our meal here and can't wait to return.

Enjoying Lunch (March 2013) Mussels Seafood  Sandwich with fries Sancocho Liz waiting for her Mussels

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Cooke House Restaurant: Lots of eateries at the waterfront

by Pawtuxet Updated Mar 31, 2008

It's been a long time since I was in this restaurant so I won't comment on the food....but the location of the restaurant is great. It's right on Bowen's Wharf where you find lots of sail boats, shops, great people watching and tons of places to enjoy a cold drink or lunch, dinner ... and wonderful chowder, of course.

• Beer Tasting