Gaslamp Grille, Newport

4 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

206 Thames Street 401-845-9300

Hot Apple Cider & Stella
    by cjg1
    My wife perusing the menu (4/7/12)
    My BLT with pears
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gaslamp Grille: Wonderful place for dinner

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 26, 2015

This is a really nice restaurant here in Newport, the food and service are quite good, but be careful if you think you'll enjoy a quite dinner especially if you happen to be here on a Saturday night past 10:00 pm. There is a band that starts playing at that time and it can get quite loud and you'll find yourself shouting at your party over the music.

We hadn't made any plans on where to have dinner, but after reading some really good reviews about the place, we decided we would have dinner here. We were coming back from a day out and decided to ask our hotel concierge who said it was an excellent choice.

She called and made reservations 9:15 pm, but we didn't think you needed on, not on the night we were here. We were seated promptly at a table near the right hand side wall closer to the steps to the second floor. I didn't care for the location of the table, but it really wasn't bad.

The waitress was extremely nice and bubbly and brought us our menus and took our drink order. I was planning on having lobster, so I ordered a glass of sauvignon blanc, while my love ordered a Rum and coke. Our drinks were brought our promptly and the waitress took our order. I had seen the menu on line back at the hotel, and had already decided to order lobster, but to my surprise it was no longer on the the menu she handed us and neither was the filet mignon. We were bummed as we had actually decided on what to eat before we arrived and we asked her as to why they were no longer on the menu, and she said she wasn't sure, but would ask the owner.

A few minutes later the waitress returned to us to take our order and said that the owner said he would bring back the lobster as so many people request it. She also said that he apologized for not having our choices and our appetizer (scallops wrapped in bacon) were complimentary.

At that time, the waitress also told us that for $1 more we could enjoy a larger drink.

We thought the service was very good, the food even better, but we weren't expecting the loud band playing just a few steps behind us while we were having dinner. Apparently, the band starts to play sometime around 10 pm (Saturday). My recommendation, if you want to enjoy a very good meal, come before the band starts, we'll make a note to have dinner much earlier next time.

Favorite Dish: We started with the scallops wrapped in bacon. I decided to have the "steak tips" with baked potato and a side of carrots.My love had the NY Strip steak with fries.

The scallops were the best I have had in a long time, very fresh and not overcooked. My steak was excellent, the steak was cooked perfect in a "teriyake" sauce, but the sauce did not overwhelm the steak, the carrots were cooked but not soggy. My love liked his steak, but said my steak tips were much tastier and much better than his steak!

Overall, we totally enjoyed our meal and plan to come here again on our next visit.

Steak tips, baked potato, carrots Scallops wrapped in bacon NY Strip steak with fries Enjoying my glass of wine
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Gas Lamp Grille: A Tasty Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Dec 8, 2014

we first visited this establishment in 2011; we were shopping along Thames Street and were in the mood for a nice lunch. The Gas Lamp Grille is a place we had wanted to try in the past so we decided to stop in. It was a little past noon and the place was empty. Despite having the choice of any of the empty tables we deiced to have a seat at the bar. The bartender Austin took our drink order and handed us menus.

I decided to have a warm apple cider to drink and my wife had a Stella. I loved the cider; perfect warm drink for the chilly Spring weather. The menu had a nice selection of appetizers,seafood, pasta, chicken, soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and pizzas. After perusing the menu; I decided to have the BLT and my wife went with the Steak sandwich. As we sat there enjoying our drinks and talking to Austin; a large tour group came in for lunch and were ushered to the upstairs dining room(thankfully).

Our food arrived rather quickly and I was quite impressed. My BLT was served on Marbled bread with thick sliced bacon, Ripe tomato and crisp pear slices. The combination with the pears was out of this world. My wife loved her steak sandwich. The meat was very tender and flavorful. The garlic roll was soft and buttery. Her fries were also very good; I was allowed to have one (I am restricted diet wise until I have some surgery in May).We definitely loved this place. Food was food, atmosphere was nice and service was excellent. We will definitely return again.

Since our first visit in 2011 we have returned several times for lunch. Our most recent visit was during restaurant week in November 2014. I had my favorite BLT and my wife chose the veggie quesadilla. The BLT is always delicious so I was pleased. My wife enjoyed her quesadilla but had to pick out the massive amounts of jalapeno peppers that were inside..it was just too much spice. Other than the jalapeno event we had a good lunch.

Favorite Dish: The BLT was one of the nicest I have eaten. The crisp, tart pear was a perfect compliment to the saltiness of the bacon.

My wife perusing the menu (4/7/12) My BLT with pears Steak Sandwich with Fries Hot Apple Cider & Stella Loving this place...

• Gaslamp Grille: Very unprofessional

by Alab91 Written Oct 18, 2014

Used to love this place.. It's a joke of a bar and the so called owner is an unprofessional, rude, I'll mannered man. I had simply asked him a question to confirm if someone was no longer invited in. His result was getting in my face and hovering his finger an inch away from my nose, and scream in my face. You should never act that way inside your establishment, and definitely not act that way to a female. I am very disgusted with how he handled the situation and will not come here again.

Instant Answers: Newport