Gaslamp Grille, Newport

206 Thames Street 401-845-9300

My wife perusing the menu (4/7/12)
    My BLT with pears
    Loving this place...
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gaslamp Grille: Wonderful place for dinner

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

Steak tips, baked potato, carrots

This is a really nice restaurant here in Newport, the food and service are quite good, but be careful if you think you'll enjoy a quite dinner especially if you happen to be here on a Saturday night past 10:00 pm. There is a band that starts playing at that time and it can get quite loud and you'll find yourself shouting at your party over the music.

We hadn't made any plans on where to have dinner, but after reading some really good reviews about the place, we decided we would have dinner here. We were coming back from a day out and decided to ask our hotel concierge who said it was an excellent choice.

She called and made reservations 9:15 pm, but we didn't think you needed on, not on the night we were here. We were seated promptly at a table near the right hand side wall closer to the steps to the second floor. I didn't care for the location of the table, but it really wasn't bad.

The waitress was extremly nice and bubby and brought us our menus and took our drink order. I was planning on having lobster, so I orderd a glass of savignon blanc, Ferni orderd a Rum and coke. Our drinks were brought our promptly and the waitress took our order. I had seen the menu on line back at the hotel, and had already decided to order lobster, but to my surprise it was no longer on the the menu she handed us and neither was the filet mignon. We were bummed as we had actually decided on what to eat before we arrived and we asked her as to why they were no longer on the menu, and she said she wasn't sure, but would ask the owner.

A few minutes later the waitress returned to us to take our order and said that the owner said he would bring back the lobster as so many people request it. She also said that he apologized for not having our choices and our appetizer (scallops wrapped in bacon) were complimentary.

At that time, the waitress also told Ferni that for $1 more he could enjoy a larger drink.

We thought the service was very good, the food even better, but we weren't expecting the loud band playing just a few steps behind us while we were having dinner. Apparently, the band starts to play sometime around 10pm (Saturday). My recommendation, if you want to enjoy a very good meal, come before the band starts, we'll make a note to have dinner much earlier next time.

Favorite Dish: We started with the scallops wrapped in bacon. I decided to have the "steak tips" with baked potato and a side of carrots. Ferni had the NY Strip steak with fries.

The scallops were the best I have had in a long time, very fresh and not overcooked. My steak was excellent, the steak was cooked perfect in a "teriyake" sauce, but the sauce did not overwhelm the steak, the carrots were cooked but not soggy. Ferni liked his steak, but said my steak tips were much tastier and much better than his steak!

Overall, we totally enjoyed our meal and plan to come here again on our next visit.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Gas Lamp Grille: A Tasty Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Apr 8, 2012

My wife perusing the menu (4/7/12)

We were shopping along Thames Street and were in the mood for a nice lunch. The Gas Lamp Grille is a place we had wanted to try in the past so we decided to stop in. It was a little past noon and the place was empty. Despite having the choice of any of the empty tables we deiced to have a seat at the bar. The bartender Austin took our drink order and handed us menus.

I decided to have a warm apple cider to drink and my wife had a Stella. I loved the cider; perfect warm drink for the chilly Spring weather. The menu had a nice selection of appetizers,seafood, pasta, chicken, soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and pizzas. After perusing the menu; I decided to have the BLT and my wife went with the Steak sandwich. As we sat there enjoying our drinks and talking to Austin; a large tour group came in for lunch and were ushered to the upstairs dining room(thankfully).

Our food arrived rather quickly and I was quite impressed. My BLT was served on Marbled bread with thick sliced bacon, Ripe tomato and crisp pear slices. The combination with the pears was out of this world. My wife loved her steak sandwich. The meat was very tender and flavorful. The garlic roll was soft and buttery. Her fries were also very good; I was allowed to have one (I am restricted diet wise until I have some surgery in May).

We definitely loved this place. Food was food, atmosphere was nice and service was excellent. We will definitely return again.

Favorite Dish: The BLT was one of the nicest I have eaten. The crisp, tart pear was a perfect compliment to the saltiness of the bacon.

Instant Answers: Newport