Griswold's Tavern, Newport

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Griswold Tavern: Griswold's Tavern

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

Enjoying my warm drink

Ferni and I needed something light in our tummies after touring The Elms and decided to stop at Griswold Tavern for a drink and a quick bit to eat. The bar/restaurant/pub is a casual place, although a bit dark, it was quite welcoming with wood paneling and hardwood floors. I'm glad we decided to stop by for a quick bite and a drink.

The menu has the typical foods like sandwiches, burgers, soups and salads. They have some beers on tap including local beers as well as some yummy hot drinks for those cold days. We usually choose to sit at the bar when we are here

Service is good and the food was decent. Prices are quite reasonable, and we both enjoyed our choices.

Favorite Dish: Ferni decided to have a burger and finished it off with a beer. I wasn't hungry so I ordered an onion soup with a club soda.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Griswold's Tavern: Great drinks and good dinner

by cjg1 Updated Apr 23, 2009

December 15, 2007

This is a place just up Bellevue from the Viking hotel. We originally came here because it was on the American Airlines Idine list. We liked it so much we ended up here twice that day. Griswold has become a place that we like to drop in and have a few drinks when we are visiting Newport.

It is your typical pub. Seating in one area for the restaurant and then a bar area. But it was the service and good food and drink that brought us back.

We had some onion soup with our afternoon drinks on our first visit. I think I just had a beer but Liz had an incredible hot chocolate with Godiva chocolate liquor. It was topped with a nice mound of whipped cream and she loved it.

Griswold's is the hole in the wall restuarant/pub for the locals. We have come back several times for drinks and always found the service good and the staff friendly.

Favorite Dish: When it was time for dinner we came back. We were needing idines to get her to the highest level so this was a logical choice.

We both had variations of the burger for dinner and in both cases they were very good. I remember feeling so full and happy with our choice. The dinner waitress that Saturday was quite amazing as well. She was laughing and joking and always right on point with anything we required. Service well above your normal pub.

Instant Answers: Newport

Comments

Hotels Near Griswold's Tavern
4.0 out of 5 stars