Kilwin's Chocolate & Ice Cream, Newport

Liz waiting to order
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Kilwin's Chocolate & Ice Cream: Yummy treats

by Gypsystravels Updated May 6, 2012

Display case with all the yummy chocolates

We were walking back towards our hotel after some shopping on Bowen's Wharf when I spotted this place. I wanted a small treat to hold me over til dinner, so we popped in to see what they had.

They carry a large selection of caramel corn, chocolates of all sorts (like my fave, the chocolate covered pretzel), caramel apples, assorted candies, chocolate covered rice crispies and of course ice cream.

There was a large line to order, but it definitely was well worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: I settled on a few pieces of the dark chocolate covered pretzels at $1.75 each, a caramel covered pretzel rod at $2.25, some caramel popcorn, I think the bag was $6.95 and a cute gum ball buddy which was $3.50 for Leo's Easter basket.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Kilwin's Chocolates & Ice Cream: Salted Caramels, Ice Cream and Sweet Treats

by cjg1 Updated May 29, 2012

Caramel Apples

Kilwin's is the place to go if you are looking for a sweet treat. The shop carries a variety of candy, chocolate, coated rice crispie treats, covered pretzels, covered marshmallows, lollipops, fudge, ice cream and specialty treats such as caramel coated Twinkies. Candy is sold in boxes as well as by the piece.

My wife and I recently visited Newport during Easter weekend of 2012. We wanted to stop in for some snacks for back at the hotel. The store was nicely decorated for Easter and had a large assortment oif Easter themed candies. As we perused the cases of goodies my wife's eyes lit up as she spotted the Caramel Covered Twinkies. Twinkies are one of her favorite snack food and she adores caramel; so this was a perfect combination. We decided to purchase one to try as well as a box of chocolate covered caramels with assorted sea salts. The Twinkie was five dollars and change and the box of caramels was $12.99 for a box of twelve pieces.

After trying the Twinkie myself; I'd say it was pretty good. My wife on the other hand felt the caramel was too rich and sweet; it hid the Twinkie flavor...so I finished off the Twinkie for her. The caramels on the other hand were a hit for us both. The caramels were creamy and sweet; while the sea salts added the perfect salty contrast.

I will definitely come here again when we want something sweet to eat.

Favorite Dish: The Twinkie was pretty damn good. The tick coating of caramel was very nice and buttery. I was glad to have tried a few bites.

Instant Answers: Newport

Comments

Hotels Near Kilwin's Chocolate & Ice Cream
5.0 out of 5 stars