White Horse Tavern, Newport

by cjg1
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

White Horse Tavern: An Incredible Anniversary Dinner

by cjg1 Updated Mar 30, 2015

The White Horse Tavern is America’s oldest Tavern being constructed in 1652. It is a Newport Landmark as well as a tavern/restaurant. Our first visit here; my wife and I were visiting Newport during Easter weekend in 2012 and celebrating our five year anniversary together; so we decided to dine at the White Horse for our celebratory dinner. We have returned many times since our first visit; most recently during Restaurant Week in March 2015.

The Tavern stands much as it was when it first opened. They have done very little to change the historical charm of the place; thankfully. Inside is full of warm wood walls, floors and furnishings. The bar is a small area but perfect for pre-dinner drinks. We loved the feel of this place from the moment we stepped through the door.

The host sat us at a nice candlelit table for two close to the fireplace and handed us menus. Our waiter arrived shortly after to take our drink order. Choosing an appetizer and entrée was incredibly hard due to all the amazing dishes they were offering. They pride themselves on using local and organic products in all their dishes which is something I admire in a restaurant. After perusing the menu we deiced to share the Escargot as our appetizer. For my entrée I chose the pork chops and my wife chose the Lobster Mac & Cheese. After we placed our order so delicious warm bread arrived in a basket….very good indeed.

Now here comes the “Aaaah” moment. Our appetizer arrived and my eyes glazed over. The presentation was very good. Two large pieces of garlic bread topped with escargot and wild mushrooms in a sherry sauce with chunks of gorgonzola cheese. The taste was amazing…. I can honestly say it’s one of the best things I have ever eaten. The flavors were all so fresh and delicious. We cleaned the plate and wished for more.

After such an appetizer we waited eagerly for our entrees. My pork was very good; juicy with an amazing sauce on top. The side of spinach was so fresh tasting; I couldn’t stop eating it. The onion rings were thinly sliced and perfectly battered….soo good. I knew my wife loved her dish from first bite. Her Mac & Cheese was orchiette pasta in a marscapone fontina cream sauce with large chunks of lobster and pieces if asparagus. After having a taste; I understood her love of this dish. The sauce was silky and complimented the lobster perfectly. Dessert here is very good especially their creme brulee and chocolate lava cake.

We love it here and have returned here many times over the years for incredible meals. The atmosphere her is was perfect for a romantic and intimate dinner for two or for a meal with friends. The food is top notch and the service is always great.

Favorite Dish: You really can't go wrong here. I have had so many good dishes. The menu changes according to the season so there is always something new to try along with some of their clasic dishes.

I do have some favorites: the braised short rins; pork chops and the wild mushroom appetizer. My wife loves their Lobster mac n cheese, Lobster gnocchi and the steak.

Desserts here are amazing so save room for it. The Cheesecake Spring Rolls are incredibly good and a must try. I order them whenever they are on the menu. My wife is a devoted fan of Creme brulee so she always has it when we dine here.

Lobster Mac & Cheese Creme Brulee Pork Chop with Spinach and Onion Rings Escargot with Wild Mushrooms...so good My wife celebrating our 5 years together

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

The White Horse Tavern: The oldest tavern in America

by Pawtuxet Written Aug 26, 2011

The tavern is dark...lit only with candles... as it would have been in the early 1700's. There are huge fireplaces, wide board floors, fabulous food and excellent wait staff.
    We enjoyed an appetizer of game sausages...candied orange rind. There was Venison, duck, and Wild Boar. My husband loves game and we seldom find it in restaurants.
    Our entrees were a couple of versions of lobster...which was fresh, flavorful and artfully presented.
    Desert was shared...indian pudding with rum sauce and vanilla ice cream Oh, my! VERY old New England and VERY tasty.

Warm inside by the fireplace! White Horse tavern
    • Luxury Travel

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

White Horse Tavern: Grab a drink at the oldest tavern in the U.S.

by jessicadf Written May 21, 2006

We stopped in simply for a drink, though I hear it's an upscale and pricey restaurant as well. We'd driven by and seen the sign about it being the oldest tavern in the United States, so Mark and Jackie wanted to stop in for a drink while we were in town.

Stepping in to the building is definitely stepping in to a piece of history. the low, beamed ceilings, the wrought iron door latches, the smell of the wood burning fire place. The place even smells old (but not in a bad way). The original (maybe a copy of it) bill of sale for the property is framed and on the wall of the bar.

Favorite Dish: Not sure. Mark and Jackie had a pint of whatever was the local beer on tap, and they enjoyed it. I had water (preggo lady that I am). If I'd been allowed to drink, I would have had some cherry Lambic.

• Smruti's Profile Photo

White Horse Tavern: Colonial Ambiance, modern Flavor

by Smruti Written Aug 18, 2005

Said to be the oldest continously operating tavern in the US. The building was built in 1673, which I can believe looking at the wooden beams, stone fireplaces, and colonial architecture. It serves 'new' American cuisine- I took Dev there for our first anniversary dinner--great candlelight ambiance. Men- note that the restaurant says you need to wear a jacket, but we saw some without.

Favorite Dish: They made me a wonderful vegetarian dish incorporating truffle oil, roasted tomatoes, creamy potato hash. Dessert was amazing- a terrine of 3 different types of chocolate.

Instant Answers: Newport

Comments

Hotels Near White Horse Tavern
4.0 out of 5 stars