Been here? Rate It!
Historic Ten Mile Ocean Drive
Today, Newport's Ten Mile Drive combines the history of a wealthy summer community with a fabulous Newport recreational treasure of public parks and miles of public access shoreline to rank as one of the most popular "drives" in the country.
"The Historical Ten Mile Drive"
1. Starts at The Elms on Bellevue Ave.[just south of Memorial Blvd.] and runs south to Narragansett Ave. [there is a red light at this intersection].
2. Turn left [east] onto Narragansett Ave. and drive down to Ochre Point Ave. [[[while you are on Narragansett Ave. you may like to continue to the end of the street to visit the famous Forty Steps on Cliff Walk. If you can find a parking space this is probably the best segment of Cliff Walk and you can walk along the ocean side of Ochre Point Ave. through the campus of Salve University and through the gate to the Breakers – 20 min. round trip.]]]
3. Turn right onto Ochre Point Ave. where a number of the historic estates are located and now owned and used by Salve Regina University: Ochre Court, Vinland, Vinland Gate House — and where the The Breakers mansion is.
4. When you reach the end of Ochre Point Ave. turn right [west] on Ruggles Ave. to drive by Ochre Lodge, Althrope Carriage House, Althrope, Fairhome Carriage House, and Stoneacre Carriage House [more of the estates currently used by Salve University].
5. At the intersection of Ruggles and Bellevue Ave. [Fairlawn] turn left [south] on Bellevue Ave to drive by Beechwood, Marble House, Rosecliff, Belcourt Castle, and Rough Point. For an illustrated map segment dated 1939 click here.
6. At the end of Bellevue Ave. [the Avenue itself turns right and continues to a small rotary drive at the end of Cliff Walk where the secret, but public, Reject Beach is]. Turn right onto Coggeshall Ave. and take the first left onto Ocean Ave.
7. On Ocean Ave. drive along the ocean by Bailey's Beach [private], Hazard Beach [private] and Gooseberry Beach [open to the public, pay parking]. Continue on by the "Cove," [for a 360-degree photo of the "Cove" These are large photo files and may take a minute or two to load], and then King's Beach [state], Brenton State Park [360 of Brenton Park], and the Inn at Castle Hill. [[[Brenton State Park is a large park with decent parking and is great to spend a couple of hours to picnic or sail a kite or just hang out on the rocks and enjoy the ocean. ]]]
8. Turn right onto Castle Hill Ave., drive north to the first intersection and go left onto Ridge Rd. to go by the U.S. Coast Guard Station and past Ocean Cliff.
9. At the end of Ridge Rd. go left onto Harrison Ave. to go by Hammersmith Farm [Jackie Kennedy's summer home which unfortunately is no longer open to the public] and Ft. Adams. Ft. Adams is an ideal place to view Newport Harbor, and investigate Rhode Island Public Sailing Center Sail Newport and the Museum of Yachting. The Fort is open for tours. The view of Newport is spectacular.
10. At the next intersection turn left and then left again onto Halidon Ave. to go by the New York Yacht Club. For this illustrated map segment dated 1939 click here.
11. Continue right onto Wellington Ave. to go by the Ida Lewis Yacht Club [Lime Rock Light] and Newport's King Park [for a 360 photo of the park click here] with its statue of Rochambeau who brought the French army to Newport to help Washington win the Revolutionary War. King Park is the southern end of Newport Harbor and the Newport Harbor Walk. [360 of King Park]
Now you are back in downtown Newport and traveled as interesting a ten miles as you can!
The following information was obtained from the following website - http://www.newportharborwalk.com/
- Hiking and Walking
- Historical Travel
Ocean Drive is a great stretch of road that takes you past some fabulous beaches and houses. This past trip was my first time travelling down Ocean Drive. The day was beautiful and sunny; perfect for a drive by the ocean.
- Historical Travel
- Road Trip
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Newport Travel Guide
Explore the World
- United States of America
- Accra Hotels
- Paphos Hotels
- Rio de Janeiro Hotels
- Ligao Hotels