Providence Restaurants

• Several costumed mannequins around the restaurant
    Several costumed mannequins around the...
    by Pawtuxet

Most Recent Restaurants in Providence

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Gracie's of Providence: For a special evening... Gracie's

by Pawtuxet Updated Apr 4, 2011

We visited one of our many stellar restaurants on Saturday night. When I made reservations, they asked if it was a special occasion, and I told them it was a promised dinner for my son & wife.. whose anniversary had passed, but they were just getting to town this wkend.
    After the complimentary valet parking and being seated... entertained by our vivacious waiter... he came w/ congratulations and poured everyone a bit of champaign to celebrate the occasion. I think he won some of us over right then.
    We enjoyed their pre-fixe dinner offering... which gave several choices for appetizer, entre and desert. They also offer a Chef's tasting menu where you are surprised by whatever the chef is in the mood to send your way. I'm sure all of it is extraordinary. It's a fun restaurant to visit and their food is exquisite.
    They say... " menu changes with the seasons. Our local farms and purveyors provide us with the freshest and finest products daily. Our goal is to surprise, excite, and educate your palate with a new fresh experience... "
    I chose a cucumber gazpacho, a fish entre topped w/ vegetable salsa...sitting in a puddle of tasty sauce...and finished w/ a peach cobbler type desert. Everything is slightly different from the traditional...so much imagination used in their combinations and approach to food preparation.
    In between the courses, they occasionally bring a taste of some little thing that is marvelous and amusing, so you don't mind the wait for the specially prepared foods. Prior to the entre, there is a one ounce glass of frozen lemonade w/ miniature straw which is served for you to clean your palate prior to your main course. Following desert and coffee was another additional bonus of three treats per person....flatbread cookie, a chocolate truffle (?) and another jellied candy (?) ... all luscious. I use question marks because to say it is a candy, for instance, doesn't do it justice.
    Great night. Fun time. Quite satisfying.

Favorite Dish: Cucumber Gazpacho

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Cafe Paragon: Hungry on Thayer Street, Part 2

by Bunsch Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Paragon is a fine place to go for lunch, dinner or drinks. During the day, it attracts some Brownies although the pricing also makes it a gathering place for faculty and business folks in the area; as the skies darken, it turns into a great meeting place for the 20-somethings. Things can get fairly noisy, given the mosaic counters and general lack of sound-absorbing material, and there is sometimes a wait either to get in or for dishes to appear. But the young staff are enthusiastic and pleasant, and I've enjoyed virtually everything I've tried. This is one of the busiest corners on the Brown campus, so people-watching through the large windows is one of the interesting ways to pass the time. Summer dining al fresco is available.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite is the swordfish sandwich -- much healthier than the burger it emulates, and tastier as well.

• Study Abroad

• Napa Valley Grille Providence: Disappointing

by debkelly Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dined at Napa on Saturday evening 6/10/06. Restaurant was 1/2 empty, which should have tipped us off. Menu was VERY limited, cocktails were VERY expensive, no specials available(apparantly they had 1 that day, and it sold out). Ordered 1/2 roasted chicken dinner, chicken was tasteless, except for the warmed-over flavor. I have had better chicken from the local grocers rotisserie, and they don't cost $18.50!!! Dessert was good, which kind of saved the meal, it was my husand's birthday, not much of a celebration. Dinner for 2 with coffee and 1 dessert sank us $100.00. I have never felt so gouged after a meal as I do right now. Premium prices, not premium food. I strongly do not recommend this restaurant. I guess they do not have a lot of repeat customers, as was apparant with the 1/2 empty tables, on a Saturday evening.

• steedappeal's Profile Photo

L'Elizabeth: Only by Providence...

by steedappeal Updated Apr 4, 2011

Only by providence (and in Providence) did I discover this wonderful cafe. After going to a movie at Cable Car theater (the one with the couches) across the street I wandered South Main Street alone and stumbled upon this storefront. I initially thought it was a furniture store that was closed; then I thought it might be a high-end tarrot card/palm reader; I finally saw people drinking so I entered the world of L'Elizabeth. It is two rooms stuffed with lots of Victorian furniture. There are wonderful tall windows that surround the cafe atmosphere. It is especially good for canoodling couples although there is a small bar area for singles. I was so enchanted that I retuned the next day and met the matriarch Elizabeth who could not have been more welcoming and interesting. She started her special place in 1973 when Providence was a real hole. She gave more of the sense that she is a curator of her place rather than just another cafe owner. Along with a full bar there are wonderful coffees and desserts.

Favorite Dish: Good, strong cocktails.

• Theater Travel

Re Ra - Pub / Restaurant: Great Pub and Irish staff

by Cruefan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Re Ra is an Irish pub and the actual interior was from a real pub in Ireland that was brought over.

It features of course Guiness. Harp, and also has a full bar. They offer a pretty good Irish Fry, as well as hamburgers and other comfort foods.

Re Ra also has Irish sessions as well as local music acts. It's worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: I love the Irish Boxty which is a stuffed potato pancake with choice of: Philly Boxty- peppers, onions, cheddar cheese and sliced ribeye.

There She be !
    • Singles

• Cruefan's Profile Photo

Smokey Bones BBQ: BBQ.. Nothin wrong with that !!!

by Cruefan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Smokey Bones cooks up good old fashioned BBQ as well as seafood and steaks. They BBQ pork, chicken, beef, and even seafood.

family atmosohere with a childrens menu too.

Favorite Dish: I've only had the BBQ dishes, but the meat fell off the bone,

Good Margaritas too !

Bring On The Ribs !!

Uno Chicago Grill: An American Classic

by Cruefan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Most Americans have been to an UNO's in their life. It features deep dish pizza and pasta dishes. It also has American fair such as burgers and wraps Etc.

Favorite Dish: I'm not a huge fan of Uno's but my wife is. I love thin crust pizza and uno's pizza is deep dish. It's alright, but not my taste.

Pizza for sale
    • Zoo

• poortrekkers's Profile Photo

Ristorante Pizzico: Glorious Italian Food

by poortrekkers Updated Apr 4, 2011

Two large rooms with a cozy villa-like atmosphere, very friendly wait staff, reasonable prices, and some of the best Italian food make this one of our top choices for dining in Providence.

Don't blink--you might even spot the mayor of Providence running in for a quick bite!

Favorite Dish: Big Lobster Ravioli

• LionPrincess's Profile Photo

Go Fish: Do you have a Salmon?

by LionPrincess Updated Apr 4, 2011

Go Fish is a seafood restaurant and sushi bar, located in Mystic, CT, right next to the aquarium and Mystic Village. The inside of this restaurant is adorned with abstract sculptures hanging from the celing, blown glass pieces on shelves of the entry, and framed art on the walls. The bar is surrounded by a raised dining area with additional seating in a somewhat separate section, as well as a full sushi bar at the back of the facility. Through the glass wall that separates the dining room from the service hallway, the kitchen is visible beyond a half wall and open shelving. Though action could be seen, the noise was minimal and never noticed by our party. Our server was courteous and efficient, displaying the qualities of all the employees I’ve come in contact with, at this establishment.

Favorite Dish: Sushi Roll Sampler – Wide variety, beautiful presentation, good for two people. California roll was delicious, and a good introduction to a person new to sushi.
    Sansei Roll – This is the signature roll for this restaurant, a fine choice, especially due to the piquant Thai sauce.
    Raw Bar Medley Platter – Shrimp, clams, oysters and crab. This is another small appetizer and a decent pick for two people.
    Dozen Oysters – Three each of Malpeque, Mohegan, Watch Hill, Canada Cup. These were all fresh and plump oysters, with some variation in salt content and depth of flavor.
    Grilled Yellowfin Tuna, Daily Special – Tasty fish, cooked a little over but not a bad choice
    Go Fish Crab Cakes – Two generous cakes, good flavor, but are not my first choice
    Oven Roated Shrimp and Spring Vegetable Risotto – Intense flavor in this tasty dish, the asparagus and peas stand out with the shrimp and the creamy textured rice is complimented well by the parmesan cheese. This was some of the best risotto that I have enjoyed at a restaurant.
    Baked Sea Scallop Casserole – Large, delicate scallops in a creamy lemon-herb sauce, perfectly finished in the broiler for a crispy top.

Front of restaurant
    • Casino and Gambling
    • Aquarium

Asian Bistro: Pan-Asian fare, convenient location

by Bunsch Updated Mar 4, 2011

If you're working in the Financial District, or just happen to be strolling around in downtown Providence (and by that, I do not mean the State House), you might start to pine for a bento box. There are definitely other places in the area where you can get Chinese food, but you have to go over to Wickenden Street to get decent Japanese fare, and there isn't any Thai presence between City Hall and Brown University. So, welcome to the city, Asian Bistro! I tried the fare there this past week, and found it reasonable if not thrilling. Coincidentally, the next day the Providence Journal restaurant reviewer issued a verdict which essentially said to avoid the hibachi offerings but indulge in the Pu Pu platter (which I avoid because how embarrassing is it to simply say the name??), so I guess I was onto something. Other reviewers predicted that the place would close within six months, trying to be all things to all people. I can only speak to what I tried. My companion also had a bento box (hers with teriyaki salmon), and she seemed to enjoy it very much.

Favorite Dish: I wasn't blown away by the shumai or the California roll which were part of the bento offerings, but my chicken katsu was excellent and the salad was large and fresh.

The WaterPlace Restaurant: Enjoy a water's edge seat for WaterFire

by Bunsch Updated Dec 11, 2010

WaterPlace has evolved over many years and many incarnations. Currently it is part of the Marra group (which includes Twist on Angell), which means it is well-run and consistent in terms of its menu offerings. The major draw, of course, is its location. On three levels, built into the hill which rises above the basin at WaterPlace Park, the restaurant offers many opportunities to enjoy drinks while watching WaterFire or a production by Trinity Rep's conservatory actors on the adjacent stage. Dining is indoors, but event planners often arrange buffets so that one can grab a plate and then head for the outdoor action.

One major benefit: free valet parking. Given how difficult it is to park in the vicinity, this almost makes it worthwhile to spend the evening. (Actually, the restaurant staff is very accommodating if you choose to go to Vet's Auditorium for a concert or performance and leave the car safely stashed.)

Update in December 2010: The Marra Group has filed for Chapter 7, so likely WaterPlace will ultimately be liquidated or perhaps the lease purchased by another restauranteur. I'll update the tip as required.

Legal Sea Foods: Criminal not to indulge

by Bunsch Written Nov 21, 2010

Legal Sea Foods was a staple of the Boston market for many a year before branching out, first within the metro and then elsewhere, like T.F. Green Airport in Providence...er, Warwick. No matter. If you're flying into or out of Rhode Island, it is likely that you'll be at Green, and the Legal Sea Foods outpost in Rhode Island is conveniently located more-or-less across from the airport on Post Road. Always known for delicious chowder, Legal has superior fish-and-chips and other fine offerings. Not as expensive as McCormick & Schmick (and with a more modest daily selection), Legal is unpretentious and pleasant. I liked it back in my Cambridge days and forty years later, I still like it.

Favorite Dish: Lobster roll!!

Lobster roll at Legal

Sakura: A yen for sushi?

by Bunsch Written Nov 12, 2010

For some years now, I've been going to the same little unpretentious Japanese restaurant on Wickenden Street for lunch, and it suddenly occurred to me that I've never bothered to write it up. Why not? It isn't that I don't want other people to "discover" it. Nor is it because I don't think it's worth a visit (though candidly it's awfully hard to match the quality of sushi I enjoyed in Tokyo). It was just part of the background of my life.

Well, enough! If you want to eat some Japanese food -- and the menu does get beyond sushi and sashimi -- inexpensively, Sakura is a good choice. The ambience will not overwhelm you, but you do have a choice of table or floor service. Your food arrives quickly. And this time of year, they even give you a free scroll calendar!

Favorite Dish: I always start with a bowl of edamame. Comfort food: miso soup. A lovely little salad. California roll, tuna and shrimp sushi. Green tea. I'm pretty sure that's a perfect meal.

Dig in!
    • Study Abroad

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

The Duck & Bunny: What's a snuggery?

by Bunsch Written Oct 26, 2010

A whimsical combination of a creperie, a bar and a cupcake outlet, The Duck & Bunny is the latest incarnation of the space on Wickenden Street which was once the Blue Elephant Cafe and previously a rather nice BYO Italian restaurant. In my opinion, the third time is the charm, as I liked everything about D&B which bills itself as a snuggery -- and lives up to the billing. There is a lovely bar-cum-dining area on one side of the entry, and a less hectic dining area on the other, but the best spot of all (in season) is the garden in back, with those marvelous rocking lawn chairs and shady tables surrounded by flowers and foliage.

Although there are salad choices (all of which looked yummy) and other items on the menu, the major draw is crepes, both sweet and savory, and a "tea bar". I'm definitely going to come back to sample their traditional English afternoon tea -- at $18.00 pp a little expensive, but it comes with a selection of crustless tea sandwiches, freshly baked scones, clotted cream and fruit preserves. I can just imagine a winter afternoon, sitting at one of the marble tables in the snuggery...

Open Tuesday-Sunday, 10:00 AM - late

Favorite Dish: I'm planning to come back frequently, because both entrees I sampled -- specialty crepes featuring smoked salmon, capers, and creme fraiche on an herb crepe formed into "purses" and tied with a scallion, and roast beef with caramelized onions and tomatoes with a horseradish sauce drizzled over the top of a crepe -- were excellent. My friend and I couldn't resist trying the cupcakes with a pot of Earl Gray. Her red velvet looked and tasted delicious. My chocolate peanut butter truffle was a trifle too much of a good thing; next time I think I'll be less adventurous. But no complaints. Pleasant service, too.

Interior (website photo)

Seven Stars: My favorite Providence bakery

by Bunsch Written Oct 6, 2010

People have bakery preferences in Providence, depending upon where in the city they happen to live. And I'm not saying a word against any of those other places; I've never met a bakery I didn't like. But once Seven Stars opened, a lot of folks began making the pilgrimage to Hope Street to sample its many artisan breads and incomparable ginger biscuits (scones). They started coming on Saturday mornings to enjoy coffee and visit with neighbors. They started flocking after church on Sunday to have freshly made, innovative sandwiches. Pretty soon, Seven Stars opened a couple of other enclaves, which makes it easier for the folks on Federal Hill and in Rumford to enjoy the bounty East Siders have come to take for granted.

Hours: Monday — Friday, 6:30 am — 6:00 pm
    Saturday & Sunday, 7:00 am — 6:00 pm

Favorite Dish: Russian tea cakes that melt in your mouth. Old fashioned macaroons (coconut and almond). Crusty Kalamata olive bread. Succulent pumpkin muffins.

Best of Rhode Island award (website pic)
    • Disabilities
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Providence

Comments

Providence Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Providence restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Providence sightseeing.