Westerly Restaurants

Haversham Tavern
    by gaolei

Best Rated Restaurants in Westerly

• Dylans Restaurant: $52 Salad Bar!

by rieats Written Jun 1, 2003

Fifty-five minutes for an undercooked steak? Customer service that includes bringing back the same steak, less than half its original size, on the same plate? A manager who refuses to remedy the situation? And an owner who actually TAKES THE FOOD OFF YOUR TABLE AND ASKS YOU TO LEAVE just as you are reaching a reasonable compromise with the manager? You can have all this and more at Dylan's Restaurant in Westerly. AND YOU CAN PAY FULL PRICE FOR YOUR UNEATEN DINNER, TOO!!
    This restaurant ranks at number one on my list of worst dining experiences ever. I have only sent two steaks back to the kitchen in my entire life. I was pleasant and cordial at first, even after our hour-long wait for our food, and when my steak returned half its size, still undercooked, I simply asked for a reduced price on my dinner or a full sized steak cooked to my specifications. I was absolutely astounded when the owner actually removed my plate (food still uneaten) and asked me to leave. I was even more astounded when three employees, including the owner, surrounded our table and demanded that we pay full price for a meals we didn't even get the chance to eat!
    I have never had a more unbelievably unpleasant dining experience. I have never seen such an utter absence of professionalism. To top it off, the manager personally asked us never to return as we were leaving.
    Those of you who enjoy dining out know that service goes a long way in making or breaking a meal out. Good service leads to good word-of-mouth and a lifetime of recommendations. On the other hand, incomprehensible rudeness can lead to negative word-of-mouth and bad publicity. It is my hope that my experience at this family-owned restaurant will serve as a warning to anyone considering eating there! (Or as in our case, NOT eating there!)

Favorite Dish: The salad bar is fantastic, but I don't think it was worth the $52 bill we were practically forced to pay upon our hasty and unpleasant departure.

• Beaches

• gaolei's Profile Photo

84 High Street: 84 High Street

by gaolei Written Oct 4, 2002

This is a very small restaurant with a first class cook who is also the owner. If you don't know the area, it will be hard to find, but worth the search.

Favorite Dish: I usually order the seafood specials. They are last minute items based on the arrival of fresh seafood, so they are always great!

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Haversham Tavern: The Latest Restaurant in the Old Swiss Chalet

by gaolei Written Oct 31, 2011
    Haversham Tavern

At the intersection of US1 and US 1A at the eastern edge of Westerly, there are several buildings that were once called the Swiss Chalet. Over the years, several people tried to revive the restaurant in this building and failed. Haversham Tavern is the latest attempt. I hope they succeed!

The food here is very reasonably priced and the quality and quantity are excellent. I had the little necks on linguine. Little Necks are the small Quahaugs, hard shell clams to non Rhode Islanders and those who never saw Family Guy. The clams are served in opened shells, the only way to eat them. My friends had the Haddock, and raved about how good it was.

Service is prompt, efficient and friendly. The Haddock was only $10. The wine selection was OK.

Favorite Dish: I like seafood on linguine. I loved the way these guys did it. I will be back for more.

Instant Answers: Westerly

Comments

Westerly Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Westerly restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Westerly sightseeing.