Beaufort Restaurants

MY CRAB STUFFED SALMON? 19.95
    by grandmaR
    Bob walking up to the entrance
    by grandmaR
  • View from the window out over the marshes
    View from the window out over the...

Best Rated Restaurants in Beaufort

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

I wanted to go to Dukes BBQ,...

by richiecdisc Written Oct 4, 2002

I wanted to go to Dukes BBQ, but when it was closed, we wound up at Ruby Tuesday.
    Dukes looked like a nice little local joint. Ruby Tuesday is a chain with little character but good enough food.

Favorite Dish: Salad bar, but I wanted ribs...lol.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Bistro de Jong: Don't Miss This Delicious Local Fare

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jul 30, 2006

Bistro de Jong on 205 West Street. This is a small, gourmet restaurant that has fantastic She-crab-sherry soup, a S. Caroline dish. This restaurant, which was featured on the Food Channel, is a higher priced establishment, but try a lunch there if you are not up for the more expensive evening meal. You will find this small restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere with friendly service.

Favorite Dish: She-crab-sherry soup---not to be missed. I also had the crab cake sandwich, which was excellent. I generally do not care for crab cakes, as so many taste like they have more fillers such as breadcrumbs and veggies than crab, but these crab cakes were all crab and spices. Delicious!

Gilligan's Seafood Restaurant: Marine Life

by grandmaR Updated Oct 2, 2011

MY CRAB STUFFED SALMON? 19.95

There is happy hour every night, and there was a reception for the graduates from 6 to 8, so we went over for dinner at 5:30 because we were afraid we would not have been able to get a table later.

Hours of Operation:
    Sun-Thurs: 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM
    Fri & Sat: 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM

Favorite Dish: We had a coupon from the hotel for either a free appetizer or a dessert so since it was a big group I picked Gilligan’s FAMOUS SHRIMP DIP. which would have been 7.25 (Chopped shrimp, shredded cheese, bacon, celery, onions, and secret spices.)

Bob got a cup of she crab soup for $3.95 and ¼ pound hot peel and eat shrimp steamed with Bay Spices for 7.25 and raw oysters on the half shell 6 FOR 6.95

Several of the others also got the she crap soup. I got the crab stuffed salmon

Hemmingway's Restaurant & Pub: Lunch Specials

by grandmaR Updated Feb 7, 2006

My quiche ($6.95)

Hemingway's is on the back side of the stores on the main street and faces the water. It is run by an internet friend of ours. You can see the river from the terrace outside. We went down to the marina parking lot to park. A little boy came up to us and said if we parked in the parking lot his mom was leaving that we'd have half an hour left on the meter, so Bob did park there, although he put two quarters in and got another hour. There was a half an hour left on the meter when we left.

Favorite Dish: We went to Hemingway's to have lunch, but unfortunately our friend was not there. I had the quiche of the day (bacon mushroom) for $6.95, which came with a little cucumber salad, and Bob had a turkey club. Total with tip was $16.80, plus 50 cents for the meter.

• Business Travel
    • Sailing and Boating

Southern Sweets: Ice Cream

by grandmaR Updated Aug 11, 2006

Coupon page

Our boat has refrigeration for the food, but the freezer is not kept cold enough for ice cream to be an option on board. So we (or I) crave ice cream and get it at every opportunity. When we ate at Plums and they said they were out of ice cream, I tried to get some at another place, but the best I could do was pie.

When the Bank Grille didn't even offer us dessert, we left there and walked down the street to a small mall where there was an ice cream store, and got dessert there. The people were helpful and friendly.

The second time we went (on the way back north in March), the mall was closed (and it was earlier than the closing hours listed on the door) and we couldn't get in, so I don't even know if the place we went is still in business.

Favorite Dish: I got a coupon on the internet for TCBY (pictured) but I can't get that to come up anymore. I think the best place if you want ice cream will be Southern Sweets

Other options might be:

Magnolia Bakery Cafe
    703 Congress St, Beaufort, SC (843) 524-1961

Bruster's Ice Cream & Yogurt
    304 Robert Smalls Pkwy, Beaufort, SC (843) 522-9154 This is a franchise - website below

Dairy Queen Brazier Store
    115 Sea Island Pkwy, Beaufort, SC (843) 525-6760

Tcby Treats 11 Robert Smalls Pkwy # 1, Beaufort, SC (843) 525-9592

Panini's Cafe: Go to the Bank

by grandmaR Updated Aug 17, 2007

Ex-Bank facade

Very rich looking converted bank in the historic district. The bank was originially built between 1914 and 1916 but went out of business in 1926. Between '47 and the early '80s it served as a movie theatre. It was restored in 1988, and is "the only example of Beaux Arts Classicism in Beaufort"

In 2005, this place had a sign out front that said Panini's Cafe. They had take out, delivery (free), catering, live entertainment, water views, outdoor dining, full bar, children's menu, happy hour and early bird specials.

It is apparently Italian/Mediterranean, Pizzeria type place.

7 Days a week from 11am
    Dine early:
    Sunday ~ Thursday: 5pm ~ 630pm
    Happy Hour 4pm ~ 6pm Every Day

Favorite Dish: When we were here in 2001, it was The Bank Street Grill

The menu carried through somewhat on the bank theme, with "Beginning Balance" (appetizers including "Initial Investment which is a $16 seafood assortment), "Combined Interest" (soup and salad- "ask your teller for today's selection"), "Prime Rate" (primarily beef altho the whole lobster and 10 oz rib eye for $Market Price$ is called 'Investment'), "Junior Investors" (kid's menu), "Ending Balance" (desserts featuring "$Dirty Money$", "Liquid and Frozen Asssets" (drinks and frosted drinks, which includes "Banker's Tea" - Long Island Tea with a splash of Sprite), and "From the Safe" (non-alcoholic drinks

It was popular, but I didn't think much of the service. We both had prime rib, and I took some of mine home for lunch. I didn't like their garlic potatoes- too much garlic. Since they didn't ask us if we wanted dessert, we went to an ice cream parlor and had some ice cream.

Our bill for the two of us without dessert was $47.37.

• Architecture

Plums: Pull out a Plum

by grandmaR Updated Aug 11, 2006

Sunrise leaving Beaufort

This is a very popular restaurant that almost everyone loves except me. When people ask for a recommendation in Beaufort, Plums is usually at the top of the list. When you eat, you look out through the waterfront park and can see the water. We sat by the window and watched the antics of two well fed black and white cats. You can look out at the river from the windows. After we ate, I tried to sit out on the waterfront, but it was too cold

Favorite Dish: "Down home" type cooking, but rather expensive. I have read that you have to pay $2 extra to have a loaf of their frozen home-baked bread. Bob had a steak. I ordered chicken and dumplings to cut down on cost as they were among the cheaper items, but the dumplings were raw inside, plus they kept giving me sweetened tea when I wanted unsweetened. Couldn't be bothered to remember I guess. Plums makes their own ice cream (they have a factory in Port Royal), which was why we went, but they were out when we were there and made no apology or alternate suggestions.

Their menu on the internet runs mostly to soups, salads, burgers, quesidillas and sandwiches. They don't even mention ice cream anymore.

• Sailing and Boating

Luther's Rare & Well Done: Steak

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Coupons from their web page

We were here in 2000 or 2001. I remember dark wood, and reasonably good food and service.

The website says Doc Luther bought the pharmacy in 1906 for $4,000 and sold it to his nephew, Dr. Jules Long in 1941. The building remained an active pharmacy and general merchandise store until the early 1980's. Luther's Rare and Well Done was established in 2001, sold to the Stavac family in 2005.

Some of the reviews of this place pan the service. It now seems to market itself as a night spot in addition to a place to eat.

Hours
    10am - 10pm: full service
    10pm - midnight: no entrees
    18% Gratuity will be added to parties of 6 or more.
    There is a $4.00 surcharge added to all entrees that are split
    No personal checks.

Advertisements say: Come To Luther's Where Everything Is Rare & Well Done, An American Grill, Specializing In Certified Angus Beef, Featuring Seafood Pastas Burgers & Salads, Outdoor Dining On Waterfront Park, Serving Breakfast Lunch & Dinner, Weekly Entertainment, Late Night Bar Menu

Favorite Dish: Menu from the internet

LUNCH

PIZZA
    All pizzas are personal sized & hand-tossed,
    baked in a brick-stone oven

Vegetarian - $7.95
    The Big Beef - $8.95
    Pepperoni Pizza - $7.95
    Cheese Pizza - $6.95
    topped with cheddar & mozzarella cheese

Chef Salad - $8.95
    Luther's Style French Onion Soup - $4.95
    Traditional French Onion soup with a Luther's Twist ...
    sautéed rib-eye added

Soup Of The Day - $4.95

Children All kid's meals include a drink

Pepperoni Pizza - $7.95
    Cheese Pizza - $7.95
    Chicken Fingers & Happy Fries - $5.95
    Grilled Cheese & Happy Fries - $4.95
    Basket of Happy Fries - $2.50

We have a full service bar with a variety of beer, wine,
    liquor, & specialty drinks. Please ask your server.

Starters

Pot Stickers - $6.95
    Fried Pickles - $5.95
    SoCo BBQ Shrimp - $8.95
    Soft Pretzel - $3.95

All burgers are served with a choice of sour cream & chive fries,
    potato salad, or Cole slaw & breaded fried pickle. $8.95

Garden Vegetable Wrap - $8.95
    The Sub Club - $7.95

Dinner Menu

Entrees
    All entrees served with a house salad, bread, potatoes
    (unless rice is served with entree), and vegetables of the day

12 OZ 14 OZ

Stuffed Shrimp - $18.95
    Shrimp Alfredo - $16.95
    Citrus Salmon - $16.95
    Grilled Tuna Steak - $16.95

They no longer seem to have a web page or coupons.

• Southern Sweets: Left a Bitter Taste

by LouBelle12 Written Aug 3, 2007

My family and I vacationed on the beaches of Fripp Island, SC. This is about 30 minutes from Downtown Historical Beaufort. After passing by on our route to the island we were interested in coming back to enjoy the charm the small streets had to offer. We came on a weekend night to possibly avoid crowds because we do have children. We enjoyed seeing the water and the shopping boutiques. We decided to stop for ice cream in what seemed to be an adorable old-time ice cream parlor. It was around 8:00 PM and the shop was due to close at 9:00 PM. The sign had been flipped so we read ‘Closed’. Although it did look empty we thought it still might be open since the hours were listed until an hour later. My husband popped his head in to see if they were still serving and we were told “sure”. We all went in and began to read the MANY flavors of ice cream. The shop smelled wonderful and we were all excited and ready to order, but much to our dismay the customer service was so poor we were never served. In fact, we were barely acknowledged. My family and I stood no more than 5 feet away from the employees but somehow it was as if we were standing on two different planets. Eventually we just left without any Southern Sweets and without any southern hospitality. I was very disappointed in this restaurant.

You should visit Downtown Beaufort. But, save your time and please keep this in mind when your kids see the signs and scream for ice cream.

Panini's Cafe(926 Bay Street, (843) 379-0300) serves hard ice cream scoops and cones, so grab your dessert to go and walk to take pleasure in the park with your family or special someone.

Favorite Dish: Sadly, we never had a chance to taste anything.

Magnolia Bakery Cafe & Garden Gift Gallery: Across from the Visitor's Center

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe and Garden Gift Gallery

We didn't eat here because we had another place we wanted to eat lunch.

Favorite Dish: The sign says:

Sandwiches, Soups, Salads, Ice Cream, Espresso Bar, Bakery Desserts.

The ad on the internet adds chowders, all lump Maryland crabcakes, house baked bread, beer and wine. They are open 9-5 Monday to Saturday

• Plums: Bad Plums

by kallum1 Written Sep 7, 2008

First, let me say that the service was friendly and relatively fast. The atmosphere (Saturday night in September) was lovely. Everyone was happy.
    My husband had a penne pasta dish that was lovely. I had salmon with garlic potatoes. The salmon looked okay but came with a very spicy glaze. Not to worry, I thought, I really love spicy food and have eaten it all over the world. This spicy glaze, however, tasted a little weird so I only ate ~ 1/3 of the fillet. Then I went back to our hotel room and felt increasingly ill. I will not bore you with details but it was not an easy night. I felt fine the next morning. Maybe this was a one-off problem for them but I will not eat there again.

Instant Answers: Beaufort

Comments

Beaufort Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Beaufort restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Beaufort sightseeing.