Places to eat in Charleston

by LoriPori

Most Viewed Restaurants in Charleston

East Bay Deli

by Ewingjr98 Written Apr 9, 2015

The East Bay Deli is a fantastic spot for breakfast and lunch, just a short walk from the ferry to Fort Sumter. So good, in fact, that it has been named Charleston's best deli for the last 12 years in a row!

We stopped here for a quick bite to eat before taking the ferry to the fort. We had some great breakfast sandwiches (bacon, egg and cheese on tasted bagels), plus coffee and fruit.

Open daily 8:30a - 9:00p.

East Bay Deli has expanded to six locations around Charleston, and a seventh location will soon open in Myrtle Beach.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Pearlz Oyster Bar: Oysters

by apbeaches Updated Jan 12, 2015

Friendly fun crowd, very reasonably priced & good happy hour drinks, large selection of raw & fried oysters The seafood menu features raw shellfish, local seafood served to order with accompanying sauces, Lowcountry recipes, and regional favorites. We sat at the raw bar where the oysters were shucked quickly and steadily for hours. They were so fresh, sweet and huge with wonderful cocktail and mignonette sauces. Our waiter was very familiar with all the different types of oysters served from gulf, Canadian, blue point, Nova Scotia & Virginia.

Favorite Dish: Oysters, champagne & custom drinks

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Gaulart & MalicletCafe: Local French

by apbeaches Updated Jan 12, 2015

We were told that this is where the locals eat. Communal tables with high chairs and lots to read and see all around. Many were lined up taking food to go as well.
    This casual, bustling French bistro has an extensive menu with sandwiches, salads, soups, lunch plates, French snacks, night specials, vegetarian choices, beer & wine. Fun local spot with lines out the door. Fresh food, fast service & reasonable prices. They can make meals to order, with less bread, butter because everything is made from scratch and to order.

Favorite Dish: Chili, salmon & salads were good

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

RUBY TUESDAY: AMERICAN FARE

by LoriPori Written Oct 27, 2014

As RUBY TUESDAY was right across the street from the Motel and we didn't want to drive around looking for somewhere else to eat.
    We opted for the salad bar ($2.99) and Deluxe Burger and Fries ($8.99).
    The salad bar was awesome - the Burger - just O.K. The burger was a little dry and the buns were so huge, I threw away the top bun part.
    Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed. Our bill came to $27.03 plus tip.
    Would I go to a Ruby Tuesday restaurant again - probably not!

Ruby Tuesday My Salad Plate My plate of Burger & Fries

Bon Banh Mi: Vietnamese Salads and Sandwhiches

by DSwede Written Mar 16, 2014

Great as a lunch or dinner option, these sandwiches are not just healthy, but tasty too! Thankfully I live nearby so can get there even easier, but if you are downtown and looking for a flavorful option that is not the typical heavy southern meal, try Bon Banh Mi. They deliver too..

Open lunch (11am) and dinner, closed on Sundays.

Favorite Dish: I'm partial to the pork sandwich with 5 spices. But the vegetarian option is always the choice for some of my friends.

Banh Mi

Early Bird Cafe: Local eats with a casual feel

by DSwede Written Nov 30, 2013

Some people will be quick to point out that Early Bird Cafe made the list of the TV show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It is just far enough out of downtown that the regular tourists will not find it, so you can rest assured that it will be locals only.

It has what you'd expect from a diner - booth tables, a long bar with stools for those eating alone, big chalk board with the daily specials and lots of hungry locals. The staff is very friendly and laid back. The walls have local artist's work for sale to any who should like what they see.

Open breakfast through dinner Monday through Thursday (until ~10:30pm), its open for the late-night crowd on Friday/Saturday (4am). I found our the hard way that they close 3pm on Sunday.

Favorite Dish: The menu is all homemade, with strong tendencies in the Southern fare. There are things like chicken & waffles, pot roasts, cat fish fillets, with sides of collards, mac & cheese, etc. The shrimp and grits with brown gravy is among the best in town.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Lost Dog Cafe: Quirky Little Cafe with Good Breakfast Food

by riorich55 Updated Nov 29, 2013

I am going to list this in the Charleston section (here) and also create the same tip for Folly Beach (where it is actually located - but not many people visit that page although they should).

Researching our trip to the Charleston, SC area we look at VT information and then go to our local library to get whatever books we can find. Looking through Lonely Planets guide to the Charleston area, Sue came across this unique little restaurant about a 25 minute ride from where we were staying. We decided to go to Folly Beach on our second full day in Charleston to catch a sunrise and then have breakfast. What a neat little place!! The weather was perfect that day, so after taking in a stupendous sunrise, walking down the beach and seeing a video being created, we hopped back in our car and headed toward the Lost Dog Cafe. I originally thought it was on the waterfront, but then not finding Huron Street finally asked a couple of surfers (COOL HUH) where the Lost Dog Cafe was and they directed me up the road and to the left.

You can take your meals inside or out, but I love sitting out in nice weather so that's where we partook our morning meal. There was a dog right by us while we were eating outside, but alas he was not lost. He belonged to the young couple with a baby sitting at the table over from us.

Take a look at picture #1 and picture #2. #1 is outside (the front porch area is where we sat) and #2 is inside (look closing at the surf boards with pictures of dogs).

Favorite Dish: We started out by ordering morning drinks. Sue had a large hot chai tea and I had the large cold chai tea, both of which were $3.95 and very large. For our main course Sue had the specialty pancakes of the day which were sweet potato with bananas, chocolate chips and fresh whip cream. I opted for something unusual for me, the Breakfast Burrito, as they recommended that in the Lonely Planet guide book. Neither of us were disappointed. Both were huge and we took a portion of each back with us to the hotel to put into the refrigerator. Take a look at pictures #3 and #4

Our waitress (darn her name's not on the receipt I kept) was very friendly and from what I remember was the girlfriend of the guy who ran the place. Background music was from the 60's and I made a note that one of the songs being played while we were there was Bob Dylan's - Times They Are A Changing.

Front Entrance to Lost Dog Cafe Inside Lost Dog Cafe Sweet Potato Pancakes Breakfast Burrito
    • Beaches
    • Surfing

Water's Edge: Great Food, Nice Location

by DSwede Written Nov 29, 2013

I've had the fortune to eat at Water's Edge a couple times. I've always been satisfied. The inside dining area is slightly upscale but not pretentious, with linens and soft music. The outside patio is more casual and relaxed.

Both have great views right on Shem Creek, looking over towards Reds bar and the fishing boats. If you're lucky, you may get any combination of the sunset, the fishing boats coming back to port, or the dolphins swimming along the creek.

While I've always been satisfied here, I'd put it out there that prices (after drinks and tip) are on the high end. With that being said, it is a good place for business dinners or a bit more romantic evenings.

Favorite Dish: The seared tuna is always good. I've also had their steaks, of which the fillet medallions on the mushroom risotto was excellent. I would also recommend their crab dip and/or the local oysters as an appetizer.

The Tuna at Waters Edge View from the dining room
    • Business Travel

Kitchen 208: Breakfast and Lunch Only

by DSwede Written Nov 29, 2013

This diner/grill type restaurant serves breakfast and lunch only (closes 3pm). While you order at the counter, you take a number to your table then they bring your meal to you. There are a few inside tables as well as a dozen or so tables on an outside patio.

Being right in the heart of downtown, its convenient for when the appetite calls for something decent, the wallet wants something economic, and the agenda calls for something rather quick.

Favorite Dish: I've sampled a few things, but I always come back to the Smokey Joe. Smoked brisket, BBQ, caramelized onions on Texas toast. The Turkey Shoot is another one I like. There are also a few salads for those health conscience types. I haven't tried the breakfast, but eggs Benedict and scrambles look good.

The Smokey Joe

Sesame: Best Burgers in Town

by DSwede Written Nov 29, 2013

Not only are the burgers some of the best, but the atmosphere is very comfortable and family friendly. Part of their initiative is to be environmental and efficient, so all materials are recycled, their buildings are constructed with sustainable materials and their take-away wrappings are biodegradable.

Favorite Dish: While the name has 'Burgers' in it, it is not solely burgers, although that is the main theme. And also for those that may have vegetarian friends, it should not be excluded since they do have veggie options.

All fresh, all original. They have burgers with BBQ, cole slaw, dozens of different cheeses, etc. For those of you who want to sample one of Elvis' favorite culinary combinations, the Memphis even has peanut butter and banana slices. Might sound weird, but its delicious!

The Memphis Burger
    • Beer Tasting

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.: Excellent evening meal

by 807Wheaton Written Nov 3, 2012

This place is an easy walk from the Market area and was our first time eating at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. We were there on a Wednesday evening and were seated right away. The service was excellent and the meal was very good. We ate outside which in late October in Charleston can be very pleasant. The inside is huge and has great decor.
    There is running water near the entrance and the outdoor eating area which gives a nice feel.
    We enjoyed our meal .

Favorite Dish: We split a Bourbon Shrimp platter which had tasty marinated shrimp, red peppers, and sausage.
    It came with mashed red skinned potatoes and corn on the cob. We also ordered one large garden salad to split between us.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Hominy Grill: Very good

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 30, 2012

Best place I ate at while here.

Chicken breast on a big biscuit, covered in sausage gravy with cheese.

Plum-peach cobbler for dessert.

Go a little early or late for meal, there is a line but since it's a ways off the main drag it's not too bad.

Peach-plum cobbler

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Jestine's Kitchen: Soul Food, sorta

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 30, 2012

Famous restaurant, serve local food, sould food, etc....

I had a pecan-crusted chicken sandwich, with fried okra, and cole slaw. The fried okra was not that great, too greasy, but the rest of it was good.

For dessert I had Coca Cola, a very rich, moist chocolate cake. Terrific!

Go at an off-hour, there is a line to get in.

Favorite Dish: Jestine's Kitchen
    (843) 722-7224

Peninsular Charleston
    251 Meeting St
    Charleston, SC 29401

chicken sandwich, fried okra, cole slaw, pickles Cocal Cola cake!

East Bay Meeting House Bar and Grill

by Ewingjr98 Written Jan 1, 2012

After learning the night before that not much stays open late in Charleston, the next morning we discovered that few establishments open early for breakfast. After walking around the historic district for 20 or 30 minutes in the rain, we finally stumbled up on the East Bay Meeting House. This nicely decorated establishment with an old fashioned classic vibe has a small bar and a tiny dining area, along with a few tables on the sidewalk out front.

We took a seat at a table on the side near the window and enjoyed huge cups of coffee of cappuccino. We scanned the breakfast menu, which is quite sparse, but containing several interesting, unique items. Laura and I both decided to get a quiche. Laura had the spinach with Parmesan quiche, and I the Portobello mushroom, ham and cheddar cheese quiche, both served with fresh fruit for $8. The quiches were absolutely spectacular; I'm not normally a huge quiche fan, but I could have easily eaten another. Delicious.

The staff was OK, just one bored waitress giving about 75% effort. She even got our bill mixed up with another table, after I viewed the correct bill and gave my credit card. Oh well.

Fleet Landing Restaurant - on the waterfront

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 28, 2011

Fleet Landing Restaurant is a newish restaurant in a cool, historic location with great views. The concrete building on a pier was originally built by the US Navy in 1942 to process sailors from the ships. Later it was merely used for storage by the city of Charleston. In 2004 the current owners of the Fleet Landing acquired the building and opened this fine restaurant.

We started at the huge and crowded bar that is half inside and half outside. Here the bartender named Wes served us a few Yuengling Lagers. We asked for a menu, then he went on to ignore us for the next 20 or 30 minutes while our beers sat empty and we patiently waited to order. Finally we just decided to leave, because he seemed to be going out of his way to ignore us.

On the way out the door, we noticed there was no longer a wait, so we decided to give the restaurant a second chance, and we asked for a table for two. We started off with a few fresh Yuenglings, then decided on the shrimp and lobster stuffed hush puppies as an appetizer. They were huge, hollowed-out hush puppies full of shrimp, and with a piece of lobster somewhere--unique dish, great taste, but cheap on the lobster ($12)

For my main course, I decided to try shrimp and grits ($20). The dish consisted of a huge bowl of creamy grits in a special gravy with lots of shrimp and Andouille sausage. It was excellent! My dad had the grouper filet, which was the fish of the day ($21).

Charleston Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Radisson Hotel Charleston Airport
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Charleston

Comments

Charleston Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Charleston locals.
Map of Charleston