Places to eat in Charleston

by LoriPori

Most Viewed Restaurants in Charleston

• Jestine's Kitchen: Best of down home southern cooking

by ktdid Written Nov 18, 2007

Jestine's Kitchen is down home southern cooking at its best. The ambiance is casual as is the food, but the seasonings and freshness of the food leaves you hungry for more. The best part is that very few tourists make it this far without a tip from a local. Not for the "I want my dressing on the side with three croutons and only if the croutons are made from French not Italian bread" and calorie phobic crowd. I have eaten here at least a dozen times at all times of the year and never once had a bad experience.

The only downside is that at peak times there is a line. :( But, it is worth the wait if this is the type of experience you are looking for.

Favorite Dish: Once seated the first thing your server will bring is a bowl of ice cold cucumber slices/pickles in apple cider vinegar with onions. Very refreshing - my children hog it all if I don't tackle it first.

Macaroni and cheese - the old fashioned kind with gooey stringy cheese - not toxic orange stuff!

Coca Cola cake - If you love moist chocolate cake this is a must. The pecan pie is good also although you can find good pecan pie all over the South.

I love the breaded pork chops, my son is in seventh heaven with the fried chicken, and friends rave about the seafood although being allergic I've never had the pleasure. Serving sizes are medium large. Plenty to eat, but not overloaded.

Remember that in the South if you order iced tea you will be served sweet tea. If you want unsweetened you have to make it a specific request.

• Poe's Tavern: Sullivan's Island Sweet Spot

by dulphynn Written May 1, 2007

Yummo! We ate at this restaurant on our way back from Folly Beach. One of the reasons we chose it is because they allowed our dog to eat on their outdoor terrace. It gets very busy so seating can be an issue. We were lucky...we sat at a great little table under an umbrella. The burger selection is amazing. Lots of unique flavors all inspired by Poe characters/books. The service was good and the food was great! Our dog really enjoyed it too!

Favorite Dish: The burgers were great!

• Travel with Pets

• Shihar's Profile Photo

Joseph's: Even Rachel agrees...

by Shihar Updated Jan 15, 2007

Much to my pleasure.. Rachel Ray from the Food network loved Joseph's as well.

We went to Joseph's because it was half a block from our hotel. Joseph's serves breakfast, and lunch.

I have to give extra kudos to the wait staff as well. So kind and friendly..

I ate: sweet potato pancakes, home fries
    Hubby ate: crab omelete w/ roasted tomatoes.

Favorite Dish: sweet potato pancakes with pecan-almond butter

Yummy

• Noisy Oyster Seafood Restaurant: Mouth-watering Seafood Steam Pot

by w3ndes Updated Apr 4, 2011

Favorite Dish: Noisy Oyster Seafood Steam Pot. Described as a 'big ole iron pot full of steamy snow crab legs, lobster tails, shrimp, oysters, clams and mussels all in a spicy seafood broth. AND to make it even better, we toss in corn on the cob, potatoes and country sausage.' And it's just that! The broth is absolutely delicious! A tomato base and slight spicyness to awake the senses!

We dined here on our first night and was such a good find, we went back the second night!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Red Lobster: Chain Seafood

by grandmaR Updated Oct 10, 2004

We went to see our grandson practice on the bike race track (pedal bikes). We took them out to dinner afterwards. They wanted to go to a Japanese steak house, but we were following them around the city in the dark and my son couldn't find it so I suggested we stop at Red Lobster as it was getting quite late.

Favorite Dish: We had a nice dinner, the service was quick, they brought the children's food right away, and the food was good. The total including tip for 4 adults and 2 children was $80.28

I'm giving the address of one of the two Red Lobsters in the Charleston area. I don't know which one we ate at.

Sign from the road Dinner Picture from the menu Granddaughter enjoying dinner Real dessert in person

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Circa 1886 Restaurant: Low Country High End Restaurant

by riorich55 Updated Aug 8, 2011

On our last night in Charleston we went a little above budget and ate here. Written several years ago unfortunately I can't remember every dish and just got rid of the food photos as they did not turn out very well, but just did find the sales slip.

I remember my overall impressions were very nice place, but again like a lot of the high end type restaurants they tend to be almost too attentive. The food was good and not overly expensive, but its not the place I really need to go back to again.

Favorite Dish: Our food for the evening was as follows:

Appetizers: We had a cheese trio for $12.00 and a bowl of peanut bisque for $8.00. The cheese was as you would expect it and the bisque was very tasty and something we wouldn't find in the Chicago area where we live.

Main: We both had fish that night. One of us had bass while the other had salmon. These were $24 and $25.

Deserts: We shared a chocolate desert which I remember being very rich. This was $11

The 2 glasses of wine we had were a bit pricey at $10 and $14, but went well with the meal.

Entrance to Circa 1886
    • Wine Tasting
    • Architecture

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Fleet Landing Restaurant - on the waterfront

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 28, 2011

Fleet Landing Restaurant is a newish restaurant in a cool, historic location with great views. The concrete building on a pier was originally built by the US Navy in 1942 to process sailors from the ships. Later it was merely used for storage by the city of Charleston. In 2004 the current owners of the Fleet Landing acquired the building and opened this fine restaurant.

We started at the huge and crowded bar that is half inside and half outside. Here the bartender named Wes served us a few Yuengling Lagers. We asked for a menu, then he went on to ignore us for the next 20 or 30 minutes while our beers sat empty and we patiently waited to order. Finally we just decided to leave, because he seemed to be going out of his way to ignore us.

On the way out the door, we noticed there was no longer a wait, so we decided to give the restaurant a second chance, and we asked for a table for two. We started off with a few fresh Yuenglings, then decided on the shrimp and lobster stuffed hush puppies as an appetizer. They were huge, hollowed-out hush puppies full of shrimp, and with a piece of lobster somewhere--unique dish, great taste, but cheap on the lobster ($12)

For my main course, I decided to try shrimp and grits ($20). The dish consisted of a huge bowl of creamy grits in a special gravy with lots of shrimp and Andouille sausage. It was excellent! My dad had the grouper filet, which was the fish of the day ($21).

Sticky Fingers Rib House: Good Barbecue, Great Atmosphere

by rsleisk Written Aug 26, 2008

Great atmoshpere located in the Charleston Historic District. We enjoyed the food as well as trying to figure out everyones Blues Name. Mine is "Skinny BadBoy Parker"

Favorite Dish: I had a tasty Barbecue Pork Sandwich. Great beer selection here as well.

King Street Grille: Eat well and Shoot Pool

by rsleisk Written Aug 26, 2008

We enjoyed eating and later playing pool upstairs. Highly recommended for the food and the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The Charleston Chicken was awesome: Sautéed Chicken Breast Smothered with Proscuitto Ham and Lump Crab. Tossed in Savory Herb Sauce and Served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus

• Business Travel

Goucho's Deli: A Good Lunch

by rsleisk Updated Aug 26, 2008

A good franchise deli that has been in existence since 1941.

Favorite Dish: I had the Apollo Dipper:
    Fat sub roll with hot ham, turkey and Swiss cheese melted together, served with your choiceof Formula “45”™ or Bleu Dip.

• Business Travel

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Jestine's Kitchen: Soul Food, sorta

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 30, 2012

Famous restaurant, serve local food, sould food, etc....

I had a pecan-crusted chicken sandwich, with fried okra, and cole slaw. The fried okra was not that great, too greasy, but the rest of it was good.

For dessert I had Coca Cola, a very rich, moist chocolate cake. Terrific!

Go at an off-hour, there is a line to get in.

Favorite Dish: Jestine's Kitchen
    (843) 722-7224

Peninsular Charleston
    251 Meeting St
    Charleston, SC 29401

chicken sandwich, fried okra, cole slaw, pickles Cocal Cola cake!

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Hominy Grill: Very good

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 30, 2012

Best place I ate at while here.

Chicken breast on a big biscuit, covered in sausage gravy with cheese.

Plum-peach cobbler for dessert.

Go a little early or late for meal, there is a line but since it's a ways off the main drag it's not too bad.

Peach-plum cobbler

• Lil' Mama's: Best Freakin' Pizza in the World!!

by mburrell1 Written Sep 14, 2007

small and quaint, funky and eclectic.. and super fresh! Gourmet pizza, quesadillas, salads and sandwiches.. all prepared by 2 lil' mama's... ! a great outdoor deck... you can dine-in, take out or they even deliver!

Favorite Dish: The Bleu Portabella Pizza... it's olive oil and garlic, balsamic marinated portabellas, caramalized onions, bacon and bleu cheese... need i say more..?

• Travel with Pets
    • Beaches

• nycwinnie's Profile Photo

Hominy Grill: Southern cookin at Hominy Grill

by nycwinnie Updated Feb 11, 2007

Ambiance of a country kitchen diner, the Hominy Grill was hopping when I stopped in for lunch on a Tuesday. Lots of local southern fare choices, and I can see why it's so popular. Tasty!

Favorite Dish: I had the fried chicken (a little greasy, but wouldn't you be disappointed if it wasn't??), collard greens & cheesy grits. Don't miss dessert. If I had a place like this close to where I work, I'd have to exercise MUCH more often!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

RUBY TUESDAY: AMERICAN FARE

by LoriPori Written Oct 27, 2014

As RUBY TUESDAY was right across the street from the Motel and we didn't want to drive around looking for somewhere else to eat.
    We opted for the salad bar ($2.99) and Deluxe Burger and Fries ($8.99).
    The salad bar was awesome - the Burger - just O.K. The burger was a little dry and the buns were so huge, I threw away the top bun part.
    Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed. Our bill came to $27.03 plus tip.
    Would I go to a Ruby Tuesday restaurant again - probably not!

Ruby Tuesday My Salad Plate My plate of Burger & Fries

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
King George IV Inn
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Charleston

Comments

Charleston Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Charleston locals.
Map of Charleston