Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.), Charleston

• foodiequeen's Profile Photo

Slightly North of Broad: Good eatin'

by foodiequeen Written Jul 1, 2013

I got the sautéed duck breast (medium well), with a confit duck, goat cheese & green pea risotto, carrots, turnips, topped with a honey thyme reduction. It was, without a doubt, the best duck I’ve ever eaten (don’t tell my Dad). The risotto I could eat for days and days. It was so good. I’m not sure my vocabulary is evolved enough to be able to describe how good it was. Becca got the grilled beef tenderloin, jumbo lump crab cake, béarnaise, green peppercorn sauce.

Favorite Dish: Sauteed duck breast
    goat cheese & green pea risotto
    Banana Cream Pie

• Beaches

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Slightly North of Broad

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jan 1, 2012

We had one night in Charleston, so we were in search of great local food without breaking the bank. Unfortunately for us, we arrived in town late, and on the day after Christmas, many restaurants seemed to close early. We finally wandered by Slightly North of Broad (aka SNOB) around 9:30pm; the menu looked good, prices were moderate, and it was still open. We grabbed two seats at the bar and enjoyed a great meal.

I started with the local Palmetto Lager (brewed in town at 289 Huger Street, Charleston) and Laura enjoyed a California wine. For our meals, Laura decided on the Maverick Shrimp and gfrits, and--with some help from the bartender--I chose the BBQ Tuna. The shrimp and grits contained yellow grits served with sausage, country ham, tomatoes, green onions, and Cajun spice for about $18. The BBQ tuna was a nice piece of medium rare tuna steak along with a spicy mustard and ham based sauce, and topped with delicious deep fried okra ($24).

SNOB describes itself as a low country bistro that features an abundance of local ingredients. Their other entrees include crab cakes, hanger steak, beef tenderloin, smoked pork chop, grouper, with prices from $18 to $32. Maverick Kitchens, which operates SNOB, also has a kitchen store and demo kitchen next door, plus the High Cotton Restaurant across the street and two other High Cotton locations in Post House and Greenville, SC.

• nycwinnie's Profile Photo

Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.): The staff's the thing at SNOB

by nycwinnie Written Feb 11, 2007

The atmosphere was great in here, but the kind, friendly, charming staff was what made it. Definitely make sure to stop at the bar & chat with the charming bartender. Stick with the atmosphere and a drink, however: as I didn't think that the food was worth the money here.

Favorite Dish: The food was decent: the duck liver pate was superb. Otherwise, however, not so impressive: my beautiful squab was overcooked, and it's flavour lost in the drowning of sauce & butter. The espresso was only mediocre. I am, admittedly, a coffee snob however.

• Business Travel
    • Singles

• Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.): Southern Kitchen

by dzni Written Jul 9, 2005

This was perhaps the best food I had during my short time in Charleston. Delicious selection of atypical southern entrees (we're not talking fried chicken and collard greens!). Wonderful wine, food, atmosphere. Definitely finished my venison dish!

Instant Answers: Charleston

Comments

Hotels Near Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.)
4.0 out of 5 stars