The Wreck of Richard & Charlene, Charleston

106 Haddrell Street (843) 884-0052

Rules at the Wreck... pay attention!!!
    by jrjohnson
  • The Wreck of Richard & Charlene ("The Wreck"): Unique, Hard to Find - and Must Do

by skipm Written May 17, 2007

"The Wreck" is unique. It's accessed through a residential area. It has no sign in front. If I recall, they do not take credit cards. It's very 'raw' inside. It's cooled in the summer by numerous fans and water pumped from Shem Creek, running down the metal roof. I discovered it by being taken there by a friend who found it the same way. AND IT IS A MUST EVERY TIME I VISIT CHARLESTON. There is just something about the place that makes it special. The food is excellent and the wait staff is superb. When I think of Charleston, I think of dinner at The Wreck. The locals (including failmlies) flock to this place and it's hard to get in on Saturday nights if you don't come early. Don't miss it.

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

The Wreck of Richard and Charlene: A Tasty Remnant of Hurricane Hugo

by jrjohnson Updated Feb 28, 2006

Rules at the Wreck... pay attention!!!

This place is a must visit, period.

First, I found out about the place while I was touring the city and asking locals for good places to eat. The name "the Wreck" kept coming up. When I brought up the name, one old timer warned me that they don't want any tourists visiting this place and in fact they won't even give out directions if you call them. I was startled at first, then intrigued, then determined to find this eatery. It took numerous inquires, but I soon believed I had directions that would get me there. The biggest problem with this place that it's in Mt. Pleasant, so if you're staying in the downtown historical district, you need to go north on 17 over the Cooper Bridge... kind of a hike but worth it. I'd recommend wrapping this meal up with a trip to Patriots Point since they are near by. But don't make the same mistake I did. THEY ARE NOT OPEN FOR LUNCH. In fact they are only open for 3 hours a night 5:30-8:30...no exceptions.

If you find the place, you will be completely underwhelmed until you try the food. The dining room is a screen porch on top of a cement slab... looks like it took one weekend to build it... check that.. one Saturday afternoon. Plastic chairs and tables, paper menus which you write you name on and then circle with a red Sharpie pen the item you want. This part was easy for me... my name is only two letters.

I met the owner, Rich Scott. Actually his wife owns the place so he claims, but I think it's his joint. If you go there, keep an eye out for him. He's tough to miss due to his seemingly blown dry eye brows... so impressive that Andy Rooney would be green with envy.

The history is interesting. According to the story I was told, during Hurricane Hugo, a shrimp boat named "Richard and Charlene" washed up onto the shore, destroyed. The spot where it came to rest is now the location of this restaurant. Once the got the rid of the wrecked shimp boat, they decided to build a restaraunt and call it "The Wreck of Richard and Charlene" most people now refer to it as "The Wreck".

Favorite Dish: Oysters - Fried. That's the only way they serve them. UNREAL. I also had the shrimp (which by the way you almost feel obligated to try since the restaurant sits on what is known as "shrimp boat alley") which were phenomenal, but the Oysters... ahhhhhh i could eat oysters and beer for dinner every day of the year.

Instant Answers: Charleston