St. Philip's Episcopal Church, Charleston
st. phillips episcopal church is the oldest church in charleston and the first anglican church south of virginia. originally built in 1681 the current structure dates back to 1835. the 1835 church shows the influence of st. martins-in-the-fields in london. in 1848 the architect e.b. white designed the steeple in the christopher wren-gibbs tradition. in the churchyard are the graves of william rhett, edward rutledge, charles pinckney, john c. calhoun, and edward mccrady.
The original St Philip's Church was established in 1681 at the site of the present St Michael's Church. In 1710 this wooden church structure was damaged by a hurricane, and was rebuilt nearby in 1723. The second church burned in 1835, and the present structure was built from 1836 to 1850.
The church's National Historic Landmark description states: "Built in 1836 (spire completed in 1850), this stuccoed brick church features an imposing tower designed in the Wren-Gibbs tradition. Three Tuscan pedimented porticoes contribute to this design to make a building of the highest quality and sophistication."
St. Philip's is the oldest congregation in South Carolina. Once the congregation was housed on the site that now belongs to St. Michael's Episcopal Church. Many important people are buried in the cemetary, including former VP John C. Calhoun, playwright Dubose Heyward, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Known as the lighthouse church, this church' steeple is so high that it's visible for a mile around. It was built in 1838 and many of Charlestons most famous citizens are buried here.