Charleston Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Charleston

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

FREE TROLLEY - CARTA

by LoriPori Updated Oct 28, 2014

When we visited the Charleston Visitor Center, we found out that there was a FREE TROLLEY - CARTA system - Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority.
    There are three routes available -
    Orange 210 - goes to Liberty Square & South Carolina Aquarium
    Green 211 - starts at the Visitor Center then goes to Waterfront Park - Market Hall - then down Meeting Street back to the Visitor Center.
    Purple 213 - starts off at Meeting Street/Mary Street

We started out walking along Meeting Street to see most of the points of interest there. After three hours, we were tired and waited at a Trolly Stop for the return to the Visitor Center and our Van which was parked there.
    Maps of the routes, schedules and pick-up stops are available at the Visitor Center.

• parking headaches

by tripbearmom Written Apr 13, 2014

As I read through other reviews about transportation & parking in Charleston, I thought a more recent one would be in order (all I am seeing is stuff from 2005-2009). We just returned from our first visit tot he city.I totally concur with the other reviews about how horrible parking is there. From the looks on other drivers faces we viewed while eating at an outdoor venue, I'd say pretty much everyone is stressed out by driving & trying to find parking! (Locals did agree with us, & seemed to have no advice to offer. Well, one did, he said parking is "much better" on the weekend, but we DID NOT find that to be at all true.) Sad to say, but the driving/parking pretty much ruined our trip & left a very bad taste in my mouth for such a beautiful & interesting city. We weren't even there at peak season. I wouldn't want to experience that! I did notice some public transportation/trolleys & something about an all-day pass at the visitors center (which we made our first stop so I had no idea what we were getting into). The visitor's center does not have free parking fro even 30 mins now (some below mentioned this). My thoughts, plan to cough up at least $20 bucks, but park at the visitors center & pick up a trolley from there that way you only have one parking issue to deal with. If you do choose to drive, budget at least $20 per day, more if you leave & return. Parking prices have gone up from what even the locals could tell us, & definitely from other reviews I read here. I did notice a brochure labeled "Free Tours" at the visitor's center that wasn't for free tours, but mentioned free transportation from hotels. Staying at a downtown hotel would solve a lot of the parking woes, but does cost a lot from signs we saw. I'm sorry this is so negative, but it was not a good experience for us. If I'd have known how bad it really was, I could at least have been prepared. I am a seasoned traveler & have rarely had such a negative experience whilst traveling.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Think Green Take a Pedicab

by riorich55 Updated Nov 17, 2009

The day was getting warmer and now after visiting the Charleston Museum and 2 of the homes on our 2 day pass, having had our lunch and gelato we needed to head South of Broad near the Battery to try to get in one more home before they closed for the day. Question - how to get several miles further south without taking our car from the parking garage. A pedicab ride of course.

Sue and I had obviously seen pedicabs in any number of cities, but we never had tried one out for ourselves. But the time was ripe and and the distance was long so I hailed down the first pedicab driver I saw and we hoped on board.

I told him we needed to head to the other side of town and off we went. Now Charleston is a great city for pedicabs, horses, mules and all other types of non normal type of vehicles to get through the city. The streets are narrow and for the most part relatively car free in the downtown historical section. In fact I can only recall seeing one environmentally friendly regular cab during the day.

Our driver for that trip was a young man from Milwaukee who said he played a lot of rugby. I felt a little sorry for him taking us all the way across town especially when we would have to stop at a stop light and he would have to really but a lot of effort into getting the momentum going again. He said it was the farthest anyone had ever asked him to go. I didn't get any still pictures but here is the link to a short video clip of Our Ride on King Street.

We paid for our fare in cash. They charge by the time with a 10 minute minimum. Our ride was about 15 minutes. You can call for an appointment and have them pick you up at a designated place and time.

• Architecture

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Park by the Visitors Center

by riorich55 Written Nov 16, 2009

On our first full day in Charleston we got up, got ready, had the breakfast buffet at the hotel and then crossed the bridge into the city for our first full day's activities in Charleston.

A lot of the guide books we had seen mentioned to make a stop at the Charleston Visitor Center to get an orientation of the city, pick up any necessary brochures and for a few dollars see a 20 minute film on Charleston.

Purpose of this Tip: If you are planning on spending the day in Charleston and have a rental car like us plan to drop off your car in the parking lot at the front of the Visitors Center or do like we did and park just north of the Visitor Center in the covered garage parking deck. Although he didn't get back to our car until almost 10:00 p.m. that night, parking out of the sunlight on a hot day would come in handy if you came back to your car when it was still light out.

I don't remember what the 1/2 hour fee was in the parking deck, but the daily maximum fee here was $8 per 24 hour period versus other parking decks around town which were $1 per 1/2 hour and a maximum of $20 per 24 hour period. So if you plan, like we did to spend most of the day in town the $8 vs. $20 fee will save you a few coins.

And then if you have a car like the one featured in a magazine I saw lying on a Charleston door step, you'll probably like the added safety of the parking deck.

Your Next Car?
    • Architecture

Cooper River

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 19, 2009

The city of Charleston lies alongside the Cooper River, which was named after Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury and chief Lord Proprietor of the Carolina Colony. The river has long served as a main transportation route for people and goods as the city developed and expanded. It has also played a vital role in the region's rice industry.

Carriage Rides in Charleston

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 19, 2009

At least five different companies offer carriage rides throughout the historic downtown area. Typical tours last 30 minutes to an hour and cost around $20 per person. Some tours are group tours, private tours often cost a bit more (starting around $100). Several companies also offer night tours and other options.

Companies include Old South Carriage Company, Old Towne Carriage Company, Classic Carriage Tours, and Palmetto Carriage Company.

Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 19, 2009

Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge, which opened in 2005, is a cable-stayed bridge over the Cooper River. The eight-lane bridge has a main span of 1,546 feet, which was the longest cantilever bridge in the Western Hemisphere when it opened. The total length of the bridge is 13,200 feet and is supported by twin 575-foot towers. The bridge deck is suspended 186 feet above the surface of the Cooper River. The bridge cost dome $700 million to construct.

Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge

• von.otter's Profile Photo

Getting from Here to There

by von.otter Updated Nov 17, 2008

It’s one of Charleston’s typical tourist traditions: to ride in a rickshaw. So we did, twice. Our first ride was to the Dock Street Theatre for a performance of Mozart’s opera “Cosi Fan Tutti.”

Soon after we made the reservation for our rickshaw, our College-of-Charleston graduate driver Tory was waiting for us outside the Inn’s gate. In no time at all he had peddled us uptown. We were astonished at the speed and ease with which he got us to our destination.

Tom and a Rickshaw Ride, May 2002
    • Festivals

• Cab in Charleston SC

by annieSm Written Nov 8, 2008

Hi, stayed a couple of days recently in Charleston in a Hotel outside metropolitan area in Ripley Point Drive, we needed a cab and Hotel Receptionists said she would get one for us, turned out to be a not that great limo who charged us $25 !!!!! we decided to hire a yellow cab for return this cost us $6.50, a big difference. We used the same cab the following evening both from and to hotel, the driver (Kip) was great, he gave us good history of Charleston, places to go, things to see. We can thoroughly recommend him. Just call (843)-577-6565 and ask for Kip. Have a nice trip

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

More Parking

by grandmaR Updated Jan 28, 2008

Parking is often difficult in Charleston, especially downtown. We once ate dinner on the basis of whether we could get a parking place near the restaurant. Parking place first. Second decide where to eat.

This is the long term parking garage which is also in the area of the visitor's center on the north end of downtown and right across the street from the Children's Museum. There's also a garage near the Aquarium (also north of the main tourist part of the city).

Parking Garage

• Airport arrival - City of North Charleston

by broadband2341 Updated Sep 3, 2007

As you have now just landed at the Charleston International Airport, in the City of North Charleston you have three real choices of transportation. First and the old standard - a friend or family member picks you up. Second - we have a large selection of national car rental agencies conveniently located near the baggage collection turnstiles. Shop around since their prices do vary a lot. Third - located just outside our terminal building, near baggage pickup, you will find taxi, hotel guest pickup and mini bus service. As you are leaving the airport proper, be sure to notice, just to your left, the newest of North Charlestons major industries. Vought Aircraft and Alenia North America Aircraft manufacturing and assembling major fuselage components for the Boeing 787 aircraft. If you are an aircraft buff you may also catch a glimpse of Boeing's new Dreamlifter cargo planes as they deliver and pickup from the North Charleston factories. If you want lodging, not in the tourist center of Charleston, you will find a good selection of modern, National and International hotels conveniently located near the airport in North Charleston. You may appreciate the savings. You will find the downtown, old City of Charleston just 10-15 minutes away via I-26

Northwest - Departing the City of North Charleston Delta - Arriving in the City of North Charleston

• Stop short of Charleston

by markes1 Written Apr 18, 2006

Save yourself some money and fly to either Charlotte or Savannah, rent-a-car and give yourself a couple of hours to get to Charleston. I did this during my last trip and found the drive relaxing as I sped through some beautiful Southern countryside...the couple of hundred bucks I saved wasn't bad either...

• TheTravelingNerd's Profile Photo

Cheap transport Downtown

by TheTravelingNerd Written Apr 15, 2006

If you are staying and are here to see downtown Charleston then it's very easy to just walk to get around, but if you need to go a bit farther than you'd like to walk the buses are a good way to go. they look like trolley cars...very cute. Just look for a bus stop and pay when you get on. You can ask the driver how to get where you need to go.

one of the buses
    • Disabilities

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Charleston International Airport

by tpangelinan Written Oct 9, 2005

Charleston International Airport is only a 20 minute ride up Route 26, 5500 International Blvd # 101, Charleston, SC. The airport is very easy to find and easy to get to, except during peak traffic times which moves at a snails pace! They have 164 flights daily according to their site.

Charleston International Airport
    • Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Ways of getting around

by tpangelinan Written Oct 8, 2005

This is a big town so while walking take take you around the corner or a few good blocks, Terry and I love to take a bikes with us. We find we get a lot more area covered and if we just walked around which tends to wear us out. There is an awful lot to cover here so you may want to think about bring you own bike or rent some for the day, I did see a few bike rental companies in Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach and Charleston.

Lots of walking
    • Cycling

Instant Answers: Charleston

• May 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Bringing group of seniors to Charleston. Have tour bus...is there a place to park downtown?

Charleston Transportation

Reviews and photos of Charleston transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charleston sightseeing.