Chester Travel Guide

• Favorites

Chester Hotels

Chester Favorites

by acemj Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Isn't life great?!!! Yep, especially when you survive jumping from 14,000 feet. Here's a shot of Rob and me just a few seconds after landing. Actually, neither of us was too nervous about the whole thing. I expected to be nervous, but once I was there, I was much more excited and giddy than nervous.

• Adventure Travel

by acemj Updated Jan 11, 2003

Favorite thing: If you want to skydive, the weather has to be right. You won't be able to jump if it's raining or if it's too cold, cloudy or windy, so make sure your schedule is flexible. It costs $175 for a tandem jump unless you weigh over 190 pounds, in which case it will cost $185 (check the website for specials and discounts). This price gets you a quick training session (less than a half hour) and an instructor who does most of the work for you. You're strapped to the instructor in a tandem jump, which alleviates some of the stress and should keep you safe.

Fondest memory: Here I am getting suited up.

by acemj Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Once you jump from the plane the feeling is just pure speed. I could feel my cheeks flapping around in the wind and could actually see the skin moving wildly around in my peripheral vision. I didn't experience the feeling of my stomach going up to my throat like you might feel on a roller coaster. Instead, I could just sense the tremendous speed. We fell about 9000 feet in less than a minute and we were traveling at about 120 miles per hour during the freefall. The freefall lasts less than a minute and when the parachute opened at around 5000 feet, it took about five or six additional minutes to land. The ride with the chute open is peaceful and beautiful. Even though Chester is about 45 miles south of Charlotte, I could see the downtown skyline from the sky. We had a clear and beautiful (if a little cold) day and it made for a gorgeous ride. The landing was soft and gentle (right on my butt!).

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Chester

Comments

Chester Travel Guide
Map of Chester