in the early 1960's a clemson alumni named samuel jones gave head football coach frank howard a rock from death valley california. for a number of years it sat in howard's office. in 1966 howard told gene willimon to get rid of it. willimon had the rock placed on a pedestal at the top of the east end zone. on the first game of the 1967 season players began rubbing the rock as they entered the field for good luck. this ritual continues on to this day.
the stone church was built by john rush in 1802. this church served the hopewell presbyterian congregation until the 1820's. in the 1820's the congregation moved a mile east to the developing town of pendleton. the stone church is listed on the national register of historic places. for those interested in early american history and architecture the stone church is worth a look in the clemson area.
the visitor center is a good first stop on a visit to the clemson university campus. here you can get information and directions to clemson's historic sites and information on clemson's cultural and athletic events. also here you can arrange for guided tour of the campus.
the st. paul's episcopal church cemetery is the the final resting place of many of pendleton's influencial citizens. inturned in st. paul's cemetery is confederate general barnard elliot bee who was killed at the first battle of manassas and was best known for giving general thomas jackson his nickname "stonewall". confederate general clement stevens is also interned at st. paul's cemetery. general stevens was a veteran of the battles of chickamaugua, secessionville, and vicksburg. stevens was killed at peachtree creek during the battle of atlanta. thomas green clemson who left his estate to establish clemson university is buried in st. paul's cemetery. st. paul's cemetery is listed on the national register of historic places.
built in 1822 st. paul's episcopal church is one of the oldest churches in the clemson area. the bell tower used to contain a bell from the seabrook, a ship which once sailed from charleston to edisto island. the bell was later donated to the confederate army to be melted down for munitions. st. paul's episcopal church is listed on the national register of historic places.
the ashtabula plantation house was built by lewis gibbes in 1825. the home was later owned by gibbes' son lewis gibbs, a famous south carolina naturalist. the house was expanded by later owners and the plantation grew to over 1,000 acres. ashtabula plantation is listed on the national register of historic places. ashtabula is open to the public by tour.
the clemson sheep barn was built in 1915 and is the oldest existant agricultural building on campus. today it is used as a storage facility. the clemson sheep barn is listed on the national register of historic places.
in 1800 john miller deeded this property to the presbyterians for a church and cemetery. the oldest grave in the cemetery is that of charles miller who died in 1795. some famous south carolinians buried in stone church cemetery are john rusk, revoluntionary war general andrew pickens, revoluntionary war colonel robert anderson, and a number of confederate civil war dead. the stone church cemetery is listed on the national register of historic places.
for those interested in early american history, architecture. and southern culture the historic town of pendleton should not be missed on a visit to clemson. the pendleton historic district is listed on the national register of historic places was well as some area homes and public buildings. pictured is farmers hall that was built between 1826 and 1828. the pendleton farmers society was founded in 1815. at farmers hall thomas green clemson planned the creation of clemson agricultural college, now known as clemson university.
fort hill plantation and mansion is the most significant historic attraction in clemson. the fort hill mansion was originally built in 1803 and was called clergy hall. this beautiful greek revival house was home to john c. calhoun from 1825 until his death in 1850. john c. calhoun was vice president of the united states under andrew jackson. the original plantation covered 1,340 acres and had numerous slaves. in 1875 thomas green clemson inherited the mansion and 814 acres. in clemson's 1888 will he bequeathed the land and mansion to the state of south carolina for an agricultural college. fort hill is a national historic landmark. fort hill mansion is open to the public by tour.
woodburn plantation was established in 1800. in 1832 the plantation house was built by charles pinckey. the plantation covered over 1,000 acres and had 600 slaves. this excellent example of a south carolina early 19 th century upcountry plantation house is open to the public by tour. woodburn plantation is listed on the national register of historic places.
the most visited site on clemson university campus is memorial stadium which is home to the clemson tigers football team. memorial stadium was built in 1942 and today has a 81,500 seating capacity. memorial stadium is also known as "death valley". the term comes from the fact that the playing field is physically situated in a valley. also the university cemetery sits on a hill that once over looked the field before the upper decks were constructed. the name was popularized by head football coach frank howard in the 1950's. for more information on clemson football see the attached web site.
located on the north side of the clemson university campus is college street and the downtown clemson historic district. this area of town is dominated by student oriented shops, restaurants, and bars. a fun area of town to visit in clemson. the downtown historic district is listed on the national register of historic places.
Carmike Cinemas in Clemson has a theater called The Astro near the campus which is $2 for all shows. They ARE second and third run movies, but it's TWO DOLLARS! Three screens, one with DTS, and they do get blockbusters - just weeks or months later. Can get crowded on the weekends since it's near the University dorms.
This is what the stadium looks like when full! I got this picture off the Clemson web site.
Memorial Stadium's nickname is 'Death Valley.' The name is a result of an opposing coach whose team didn't have much luck playing there!