Columbia Restaurants

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Vista Brewing Company: More beer for acemj

by b1bob Updated Nov 3, 2006

Vista Brewing Company

I think Richie would like this place better because there are beer vats on the premises whereas the other one "imported" its beer from its Myrtle Beach locations with the beer vats on site. Mark had a late afternoon snack of she-crab soup which he only rated as mediocre, it had too much salt and too little crab. Of course he had another beer or two.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Maurice's Barbecue: Barbecue with attitude

by b1bob Updated Nov 3, 2006

Maurice's Barbecue

This regional chain of South Carolina barbecue restaurants came recommended by my good friend ClarkRB. Sad to say, this was the first time in my life to try the mustard-based South Carolina barbecue. I heard the owner has a reputation for standing up for what he believes in and it was evident on arriving and seeing the American flag, the South Carolina flag, and the Confederate flag prominently displayed. That caused a great deal of controversy when a number of chain stores, fearing a boycott, took Maurice's delicious barbecue sauce off their shelves. I say if Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream can give a share of its proceeds to extreme environmental groups and if the United Colours of Benetton can get away with left-leaning ads, then Maurice Bessinger should also have his say. I bought a bottle of Maurice's Original Gourmet Barbecue Sauce because I like it and to help Maurice fight so-called political correctness.

Favorite Dish: The service was great and the ambience was basic- about what you would expect from a barbecue place. I had the "little Joe" basket which includes hickory cooked hand-pulled pork blended with Maurice's Original Gourmet Barbecue Sauce served on a fresh bun. It came with fries, slaw and hush puppies, but the folks accommodated me by doubling the fries instead. Mark had the same thing.

• Copper River Grill: Copper River Grill experience

by mshue Written Aug 23, 2006

My first experience at the Copper River Grill was probably a 6 out of 10. Upon entering the restuarant, the bar area is at the front of the restuarant and dining area is behind it. The ambience was nice, low lights shimmering, however, as the night went on, the music seemed to get increasingly louder. Our waitress wasn't the brightest light in the box, if you know what I mean, but she was very friendly. Several of us at the table had to repeat our orders more than once. She was slow bringing the drinks and refills. I ordered the Island chicken, which was grilled chicken with a teriyaki glaze and pineapple chunks, served over wildrice and I opted for the garlic mashed potatoes as my side dish. I found the glaze to be extremely salty, but the chicken itself was grilled perfectly. My husband ordered the stuffed flounder and said it was delicious. I would probably give it another try....two strikes and you're out. But I would order something other than the Island chicken.

• Copper River Grill: Copper River Grill: stay away

by marcc Updated Jun 30, 2006

If you like the music blaring, the food greasy and the service so-so, this is your place.

My wife and i went there for the first and last time tonight. The server was very nice, but forgot our water. She took my wife's fork, and had to be asked for another. My wife finally got her own from another table. The waitress wrote on the ticket I didn't want bacon on my potato and my salmon blackened, but the kitchen ignored this. I sent my potato back, but ate the salmon as is (grilled). The food was ok, but why didn't the waitress check it before we got it?

We ordered an appetizer, we thought it was onion rings, but it was a GIANT plate of salty fried stuff. Sadly we ate 1/2 of it, and now we feel sick.

The beer choices included Newcastle, one of our favorites, but it was served too cold. It's not Bud, people.

Price of the food was fair, excepting the salty fried appetizer. That should have been free, it was so nasty. I'm embarrassed I ate as much as I did.

Favorite Dish: none.

• Sticky Fingers Rib House: Don't Pass Up on Sticky Fingers!

by janegkinney Written Sep 5, 2005

My family and I visited Sticky Fingers while staying with family in Columbia. Everthing was delicious! From the ribs and barbecue to the kids meals, our whole family loved it. And the service was great! In fact, we liked it so much, we ate there again the very next night!

Favorite Dish: I love the ribs, they are fall-off the bone delicious. My husband loves the wings and barbecue and says they are the best he's ever tasted. I agree!

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Sticky Fingers: Great Barbecue

by 807Wheaton Updated Apr 27, 2005

Sticky Fingers

There are two Sticky Fingers restaurants near Columbia, SC. They have great ribs and other menu choices. They also have promotionals by sending free offers for birthdays, etc. via email. This is a chain so it may be in a number of states in the Southeast.

Favorite Dish: Memphis-style Ribs and Barbecue.

• Camping
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• acemj's Profile Photo

Maurice's Barbecue: Rebel Q

by acemj Updated Apr 23, 2004

Maurice's is as well-known for its owner as it is for its barbecue. Maurice is a throwback. He's a guy who isn't afraid to state what he believes, and for that, I have to give him credit. The guy certainly isn't afraid of a little controversy. As soon as you walk in his joint, which is part of a regional chain, you'll notice the Confederate flag and the brochures proclaiming what Maurice proclaims as its true meaning.

Favorite Dish: Politics aside, I came here to try the Q (barbecue, southern style which means pulled pork; barbecue served in a simple bun). Maurice has a few varieties, but Nat and I tried the original, which is a unique mustard-based concoction that mildly impressed me. I enjoyed its originality, but I wasn't blown away by its taste or by the hush puppies and slaw that accompanied the meal.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Liberty Tap Room & Grill: Decisions, decisions . . .

by acemj Updated Apr 23, 2004

This place is huge and the beer selection matches the size of the restaurant. It's located within walking distance from the State House on Gervais street. Just head down the hill and it will be on your left. The only other competition in terms of selection is the chain, Flying Saucer. Liberty has a long bar when you walk in to the left and this is where Nat and I settled in for a short visit. The bartender, Candace was really pleasant and made us feel welcome immediately.

Hours:
    11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday (kitchen closes at 11 p.m.)

Favorite Dish: The beer is brewed fresh in Charleston, South Carolina only an hour and a half away and is trucked in daily. I had a pilsner, which wasn't bad. They also have a full menu, including everything from steaks to crab cakes.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

M Cafe: Excellent Oriental Restaurant

by etfromnc Written Apr 4, 2004

Relatively quiet but nevertheless popular restaurant which offers a wide variety of Oriental dishes. Unusual for an Oriental restaurant in that none of the staff which actually interfaces with the public seems to be Oriental. The food is good and the service was very efficient and cordial.

Favorite Dish: This seems a bit like a cop-out for me but I have not had anything there which was not very good. Take your pick.

• Wendy's: Pack Your Own Lunch

by Simplysal Written Feb 23, 2003

I asked and asked and asked for help but received none. So out of desperation, I ate at Wendy's and was food poisoned. I ended up in the hospital for a day with severe stomach pains because some idiot probably didn't wash his hands before returning to work.

Yesterday's: Yesterday's

by scbelle Written Aug 26, 2002

While they do offer heart smart and dietary concious menu selections, I would suggest anything fried and/or smothered in gravy. Mmmmm. A great place to check out the local crowd--Old Columbia, young Columbia, and USC. GREAT for a hangover. And they deliver! What more can you ask for?

Favorite Dish: Favorites include the Planter's Special, Arkansas Traveler, Chicken Finger Dinner, El Nachoman, Meat Loaf, ... I really could list the whole menu, plus regular specials.

El Burrito: El Burrito

Good. Healthy. Cheap. w/vegetarian options if you're into that
    Pails of beer. PBR by the can.
    Friendly staff/managers...
    Friendly locals...
    Live music on the patio on Thursday nights.
    and, oh yeah, cool t-shirts.

Favorite Dish: PBR, Spinach Queso, Chicken Burrito Deluxe HOT with Guac

Garibaldi's: Garibaldi's

by scbelle Written Aug 26, 2002

Great place to people watch, especially from the booths by the bar. If you can't get a table, don't be afraid to sit at the bar--you'll quickly make friends! It's not an inexpensive restaurant, but the food is terrific.

Favorite Dish: anything, from the pasta to the pizza to the flounder to the strip to the veal. and the fried artichoke hearts. Mmmmmmm. Great wines too.

Miyo's/M Cafe: Miyo's/M Cafe

by scbelle Updated Aug 26, 2002

Not your average Chinese Restaurant. The Miyo's/M Cafe experience is more PF Chang than Panda Garden. Miyo's offers more traditional fare, while M Cafe has a more gourmet menu (and will soon finish expansion/renovation). Locally owned and operated, owner Michelle Wang can always be found at one of the restaurants. Delish!

Favorite Dish: Sauteed Chicken and String Beans in Garlic, General Tso's Chicken, Aromatic Pork Chop (M Cafe)

• mikem's Profile Photo

Have lots of suggestions here...

by mikem Updated Aug 25, 2002

Have lots of suggestions here since we lived here for more than 20 years, for the following foods:
    Mexican Food: Cuarto Camino's on Knox Abbot Drive, in west Columbia.
    Japanese Food:Myako's on Two Notch Rd. In Northeast Columbia.
    Good place for kids (& lots of relatives) cafeteria style serve yourself: Golden Corral on Forest Drive

Instant Answers: Columbia

Comments

Columbia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Columbia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Columbia sightseeing.