Edisto Beach Travel Guide

Jellyfish
    Lazy Days

Edisto Beach Things to Do

• Edisto Beach..peaceful place

If you love the beach and not all the traffic and noise.....Edisto is the place for you! I love it there. No, there are no fast food chains, no major night life (ie clubs), no bowling alleys, no mini-golf or tons of shopping......if you want those things..you need to go to Myrtle Beach. But if you love the ocean breeze, a beautiful sandy beach,...

• You're in BFE!!!

Ok, I'll put this plain and simple....There is absolutely NOTHING to do in Edisto Beach/Island...we were there for almost a week, worst vacation we ever took! Got there about 8 pm and by the time we checked into the condo the ONLY grocery store closed at 9 pm, so we had to drive 2 hours to nearest grocery store; we were starving so we had to find a...

• Edisto Beach Hotels

Satisfaction: Poor

Good for: Solo

Edisto Beach Restaurants

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 24, 2003

We ordered pizza and ate out doors at the picnic table. The maintenance could of done a better job at empyting the trash on the grounds. But the pizza was good.

Palmetto Plaza

Edisto Beach Transportation

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 28, 2003

We drove our car around most places. We walked the beaches and some paths. I've seen large trucks go under the trees on the main road ok!

Dockside

Edisto Beach Shopping

by WILDEFLOWER Updated Apr 28, 2003

We enjoyed this gift store. They had a large variety and the customer service and southern charm is the best! Really nice Gallery. Say hi to the Manager Gloria Zeller.

What to buy: Local prints, sandals,books, glass items with Edisto Island on them and many more beautiful things to look at.

What to pay: average

Southern Friends

Edisto Beach Local Customs

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 24, 2003

Shelling is popular here. There is a lot to look at and explore. You may even fine some prehistoric fossils.

Shelling

Edisto Beach Warnings and Dangers

• Jellyfish

My husband and I were down at Edisto with his family last year, and within the 2 days that we were at the beach, 5 of us were stung! This was in the early part of August...I've always been told that urine (gross I know) helps with the stinging and swelling...Well, when I got stung, I didn't care who "pee'd" on my leg...I just wanted it to stop...

• Jellyfish

Animal contact & chemical reaction causes the trigger to automatically uncoil a striking needle of stinging nemotocyst cells, that explode with a painful toxin. The alkaloid poison paralyzes shrimps, fish, worms & other jellyfish. Which are hoisted into the mouth and eaten. Note: When the tentacles brush human flesh, the toxin causes burning welts....

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Edisto Beach? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Edisto Beach What to Pack

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 24, 2003

Miscellaneous: Bring some skin so soft bug repellent or suffer! We dressed in layers for the beach. But some how them little suckers get in your clothes.

The Beach

Edisto Beach Off The Beaten Path

• The Bay

Palmetto Avenue runs along Edisto Beach, the popular place to see and be seen in this tiny island community. However, to escape from possible crowds, try the lesser-trafficed beach on the bay. There, you can watch dolphins leap past you throughout the day, while collecting shells not found on the main beach. It's more of a family environment, and...

• Shore Snack "Live off the Land"

There are a few shore snack for the adventuresome kind. The "Bull Thistle can be eaten if you remove the spines from the stastems. Cut open. Eat raw or add to salads like celery.

Have you been to Edisto Beach? Write about Edisto Beach to help travelers.

Edisto Beach Sports & Outdoors

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 28, 2003

There are many inlets that come out of Edisto into the ocean. We saw a lot of people with nets and cages catching shrimp and crabs. The blue crabs are the best eating that aI have had.

Equipment: I think there are places to rent the nets and the crab cages for the day!

Shrimping

Edisto Beach Favorites

by WILDEFLOWER Updated Apr 28, 2003

Favorite thing: We relaxed, explored and had fun. The area is so beautiful you can't help but feel a little romantic too!

Fondest memory: Collecting shells, eating pizza and just sitting and enjoying the scenery!

Friends

Instant Answers: Edisto Beach

Comments

Map of Edisto Beach