Edisto Beach Warnings and Dangers

• jellyfish

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Edisto Beach

• Jellyfish

by BBrooks7964 Written Jul 9, 2009

My husband and I were down at Edisto with his family last year, and within the 2 days that we were at the beach, 5 of us were stung! This was in the early part of August...I've always been told that urine (gross I know) helps with the stinging and swelling...Well, when I got stung, I didn't care who "pee'd" on my leg...I just wanted it to stop stinging...and sure enough, it did! The swelling and welps weren't so bad either!!

• Beaches
    • Surfing
    • Water Sports

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

by WILDEFLOWER Updated Apr 24, 2003

Animal contact & chemical reaction causes the trigger to automatically uncoil a striking needle of stinging nemotocyst cells, that explode with a painful toxin. The alkaloid poison paralyzes shrimps, fish, worms & other jellyfish. Which are hoisted into the mouth and eaten.
    Note: When the tentacles brush human flesh, the toxin causes burning welts. Treatments; 1. Wash with soap & water. 2. Apply alchol or meat tenderizer & vaseline. 3. Apply ice. Contact a Doctor for serious allergic reactions.

Instant Answers: Edisto Beach

Edisto Beach Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Edisto Beach warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Edisto Beach sightseeing.