Greenville Restaurants

by SpaceCoastMomma

Most Recent Restaurants in Greenville

Tommy's Country Ham House: A Good Start To the Day

by deebum25 Written May 25, 2012

We stopped at Tommy's on our way back home for a good breakfast before we got on the road. Tommy's gave us that and more. We walked in and didn't realize it was so casual that you sat yourself but I'm going to say it out loud as a Democrat I wasn't afraid to ask one of the folks leaving whether or not to seat ourselves. As he was very polite in advising me that was the thing to do we sat and were promptly greeted by our server inquiring as to our drink order. Two large OJs later we were perusing the menu. I decided on the Western omelet which comes with a side order of grits and a biscuit and bestie decided to have a sausage biscuit with egg and a sweet potato pancake.
    What can we say. It was a very good, filling breakfast. Nothing spectacular or special, just fuel to keep you going all day long. Whatever the talk about all the GOP candidates (there are photos on the wall) my friend and I detected no animosity towards the Democrats or my Obama/Biden stickers on my car. We tipped our server accordingly and enjoyed our breakfast. We would certainly return.

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Fried Green Tomatoes: Loved This Down Home Place!

Lunch at FGT

This restaurant was around the corner from our hotel and had received numerous good reviews so we were really looking forward to it. It did not disappoint. It's kind of cafeteria-y, you choose a meat and two sides with an extra side if that's what you want and then it's brought out to you. You help yourselves to the drinks which made my bestie happy because he could make himself an Arnold Palmer just the way he likes. Our server Maria was awesome, completely friendly and had us laughing so hard we couldn't take a picture with a straight face.
    And the food was terrific! I will say that with the collards you had to season them yourself but I see that a lot in this type of restaurant, what's perfect for one is too salty/spicy for another so you just let folks do for themselves.
    I had the two jumbo chicken wings, collards and the fried green tomatoes which came with a remoulade sauce. Chicken was crispy and nicely seasoned, and the tomatoes came three to a bowl and had a nice crunch to them as well. Bestie had the pork chop with dark gravy, mac and cheese and sweet potato souffle and we traded off halfway through. The pork chop stood out because it was so wonderfully juicy and crunchy at the same time, I will be making those at home! The sweet potato souffle was light and fluffy and the mac and cheese was of the variety where shredded cheese is mixed with the mac and baked, no egg custard but that's actually the type I prefer. We ate all of everything and were stuffed by the time we were finished. It was a deeply satisfying meal. Even more satisfying was only paying $10 apiece for it. DEFINITELY worth the value for money.
    The menu changes everyday and they change it online every day which amazes me when I see some of these other restaurants with much higher prices that can't be bothered to keep their websites updated. Viva Fried Green Tomatoes!

Favorite Dish: The pork chop. Crunchy, juicy, well seasoned, it was all good!

Larkin's On the River: Best Fine Dining I've Had In a While

by deebum25 Written May 25, 2012

Stopped in on a Monday night on the recommendation of a friend of mine who works in a restaurant kitchen as I do. Companion who is also a cook and I weren't sure whether or not this place would be busy on a Monday night, but were they! By the time we ordered appetizers every seat was filled. We were greeted enthusiastically at the door by the hostess and the maitre'd, both attired impeccably, and without a reservation seated within 5 minutes at a banquette. Yes we missed the river view and it was a gorgeous night outside but we had also failed to make a reservation so our fault.
    We were started off by our server, a lovely young lady whose name I believe was Karen. This is not a bad thing that I don't recall her name as her service was so highly unobtrusive that twice during the meal when she delivered a steak knife for me and again when she crumbed the table and again when she delivered our sides for our entrees I did not even notice her. As we know one of the hallmarks of fine service is its unobtrusiveness and this young lady was very very very good.
    On to the food, we were first treated to an amuse bouche of shrimp cocktail on a cucumber sliver with cocktail sauce. It was okay but definitely whetted the appetite. I had a $7 Smirnoff martini with olives (bless her heart, Karen knew that I wasn't that particular about martini vodka but she was very perceptive when it came to wine) that was terrific, fresh and very cold the way a martini should be. Companion had water and no complaints.
    First course was she crab soup which was chunky and creamy with a good crab flavor. Only complaint was one that I see in the restaurant where I work which was small pieces of shell get into the dish and you have to overlook them. Companion had the house salad with creamy balsamic vinaigrette which was a nice large plate of fresh mixed greens with a shiny vin that wasn't too heavy and didn't weigh the salad down.
    Having heard Karen talk of the steaks, that was all I wanted so I settled on the 28 oz ribeye knowing that I would not eat it all but hearing her speak of the aging process (28 days I believe it was after a martini) and realizing that the beef was so good that I could have it rare made the decision for me. A side of broccolini (long stemmed broccoli) and parmesan white truffle oil french fries (YUMMY! but could be a meal in themselves) completed my selection. Companion had sea bass with shrimp sofrito served with what appeared to be a beurre blanc and fresh spinach leaves. And what can I say except that this portion of the meal was outstanding. Steak perfectly cooked, enough for two, sides very nicely done, broccolini spicy with white wine, salt and pepper, and the truffle fries are, excuse my dramatics, to die for. Which you might if your cardiologist finds out you ate them. Crunchy, salty, cheesy, wonderful! Companion's sea bass was perfectly seared and the sofrito had a fresh taste that lent elevation to the dish. A glass of red wine for me, water for companion, too stuffed for dessert but having THOROUGHLY enjoyed Larkin's we will definitely return again. Dinner for two with wine and cocktails was $128.
    A note to whoever is interested: this is fine dining. Do not bring us your acid washed jeans, your ball caps turned backwards, or your tube tops. Dress appropriately.

Favorite Dish: Toss up between the steak and the sea bass. The fish was seared perfectly, buttery and tender. The steak was a marvel. Seasoned to perfection and grilled to rare (which I'm sure the grill person appreciated, well done steaks are a horror when they are that size) it sliced with one cut from the steak knife and melted in your mouth. I am not ashamed to say that I took home a doggie bag that went nowhere near the dog.

• Business Travel

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Tsunami: Four stars with a caveat

by deebum25 Written May 25, 2012

Companion and I stopped into Tsunami on the recommendation of another tripadvisor member and because we love sushi. We were seated promptly but when I requested a table against the wall instead of in the middle aisle (there weren't many people there, it was 7 on a Sunday) it seemed to cause mass confusion among the service staff.
    Don't get me wrong, I am a line cook in a restaurant for a reason, and that is because I love hospitality. I was a server (and a very good one) for 8 months before I graduated from CA school and became a line cook, and I love what I do. What happened next perplexed my companion and I greatly. We SAT. And SAT. And SAT. People were seated after us and served. We had menus and not so much as a sip of water which thank goodness the servers at my restaurant are trained to notice. TWENTY minutes later I caught one of the very cute servers and very nicely told her that I didn't think that we had been assigned a server. She promised to rectify the situation and within minutes a young lady appeared to take our drink orders. As we had been sitting for a while when our server appeared we were definitely ready to order but she approached our table with a rather brusque, "Has anybody taken your drink orders yet?" to which she didn't wait for an answer and disappeared for another ten minutes. Since another young lady had already taken our drink order, luckily I had vodka to soothe my nerves although I will say that the cucumber martini while a bargain at $7 and was quite tasty was served in a WARM footed glass. REALLY? Martinis should be served ice cold but I was no longer in the mood to say much of anything.
    Shaking it off because I was on my first vacation in two years and really wanted to enjoy this place, Ashley (I found out her name because it was printed on the receipt) came back and commented that she was very sorry about the mixup, it was the hostess' fault. I told her that I appreciated her acknowledging our slow service but I see from other reviews that it wasn't just me which makes me feel much better. On to the food!
    It was EXCELLENT. We had the tuna tartare to start which came out on a bed of shredded cabbage with paper thin cucumber and lemon slices. Companion loved it and dove in. Very nicely spiced but creamier than I like which is on me. My bf LOVED it. Next was veggie fried rice (apparently the servers bring out dishes when they're done) but that was fine with me as it was fresh, chewy in a good way and the vegs were still crunchy. Companion had the City Roll and I had the Red Devil Roll and they were both excellent. Companion had the Tamago roll as well and although he liked it, cold seasoned eggs I was okay without. I've had Tamago before at room temp and that was fine. We were planning on having gelato for dessert at Luna so we figured it was time to leave. I did tip 20 percent because Ashley NoName was polite enough to apologize but....get some real servers and do your customers a favor to make this a truly wonderful experience. Please.

Favorite Dish: Red Devil Roll. I don't have a description of it because it was new to the menu, but don't hesitate to order it!

• Gay and Lesbian

• House Of Chan: Chinese............??????

by kelly65 Written Feb 19, 2009

States on advertisements that it delivers downtown.........NOT....I called to place an order to be delivered to the Hyatt. They stated OH the traffic would be to bad. Not Good business at all. False advertisement.

Kelly.,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Still Hungry

Tsunami: Fresh Sushi

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 5, 2008

Nice atmosphere, cozy ambiance...my husband and I reserved a visit to this place for our rare "date night" when the in-laws were in town and eager to babysit. Fresh and beautiful sushi. We ordered so many different rolls (etc.) that I can't even remember all of their names (or maybe it was the two apple martinis I had!) ~ but they were all fabulously yummy and fresh.

Favorite Dish: Fresh & beautiful sushi. For kicks, we decided to try something called a "pickle roll" and it was really a nice surprise: a roll with rice, wrapped in seaweed and, in the middle, was some sort of pickled pickle. It was yummy.

• Business Travel
    • Singles

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Pete's: Spero's Original: Best Gyros in town!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 5, 2008

This place has been around for almost 70 years, I kid you not...and they have the absolutely BEST gyro's in town. They also have fantastic hamburgers, fries...and the usual "Meat & 2" specials daily, in addition to other daily specials. Lots of seating and almost always at capacity. Down-home cooking, no frills, family-friendly, inexpensive, extensive menu. A GREAT value. I just love this place.

Favorite Dish: The Gyros...TO DIE FOR!

Brick Street Cafe: Healthy Kids' Menu

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 5, 2008

This place is a lot bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside, with lots of seating in various "door-less rooms" (perhaps this was a place with many little rooms at one point, but the walls and doors that would normally separate these from one another have been removed)...instead, each little "cubby" of a room is unique. It's fun to sit and study all of the various antiques, alongside the new & funky.

Parking can be somewhat tricky as the place is PACKED shortly after opening. If you can't find a spot out front, try the lot around back but DO NOT park in the parking lot that is reserved for the loft residences. Don't be surprsed if you have to park around the back and on a side street.

We attempted to eat here several times before we were actually successful: we were unsuccessful once because of a private party, another time because it was Sunday (closed) and another time because, once we got inside, they had no highchairs for our toddler. When we did eventually get to dine here, we were pleasantly surprised at the healthy and fun kids' lunch (which our toddler loved!).

Maybe it was me, but the crowd seemed a bit snooty on our first visit and, on our second visit, it was the staff that seemed rather snooty. I thought the food was good and the service good, as well ~ but maybe not ALL THAT.

A great place for brunch, dessert & coffee or maybe a baby / bridal shower ~ the kind of place that one, in Greenville, goes to see & be seen, in the afternoon.

Favorite Dish: Healthy & fun kids' lunch is a DEFINITE bonus. No fried nuggets here.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Tommy's Country Ham House: A Greenville Institution!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

This is down-home cooking!!! THE place that everyone in Greenville dines...yet still, there is plenty of seating as the place is one HUGE room. Look for Tommy ~ he's the friendly, smiling man that visits everyone's table. Buffet-style lunch & dinners or order off the menu. Breakfast is my favorite meal here....although I like to dine here for dinner on Fridays because that's when Henry (accompanied by his mother) plays the piano!

Casual, inexpensive, family-friendly. Catering, banquets, parties and carry-out. THEY ALSO HAVE A DRIVE-THROUGH WINDOW! Just call ahead to see what they're cooking up that day and they'll have it ready for you at the window ~ sweet!!!

Hours: Monday - Friday, 5a - 2pm and 5p - 9p; Saturday, 5a - 12noon; Sunday, 5a - 2pm.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast classics. Buffet-style lunch & dinners. GET THE BISCUITS (trust me) and pay the extra 30 cents (or whatever it is, I can't remember) to have it GRILLED....trust me!

House of Chan: Best Delivery in the city

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

Greenville has only a limited number of restaurants downtown that deliver. We tried a few other Chinese restaurants, but none even came close to House of Chan. House of Chan delivered our food quickly, got our order right and the food was phenomenal...and piping hot! We now order from them on a regular basis and they are consistently good.

Favorite Dish: Tofu with vegetables is tasty, tasty, tasty...and they prepare the tofu to perfection, with very generous portions.

Hot & Sour Wonton soup is very filling and yummy, yummy, yummy!

Fried dumplings are quite delicious.

Very extensive menu although they don't offer any duck dishes.

Dine-in, carry-out, delivery & catering. Hours: Monday - Thursday, 11a - 9:30pm; Friday & Saturday, 11a - 10pm. Closed on Sundays.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Luna Rosa: Gelato Cafe: not ONLY the BEST gelato!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

This is a new place that opened in February 2008. The owner is a very friendly & helpful guy that truly loves what he does and it is apparent.

The absolute MOST DELICIOUS and GORGEOUS gelato you've ever seen...and all of it made frsh daily!

Besides gelato, this place also offers a limited but tasty menu of salads, paninis, pizza and soups, with daily specials.

Favorite Dish: Lemon gelato was tart, sweet and refreshing after walking around in the sun all day. Raspberry was also delicious, as was the Donacello (milk chocolate w/ hazelnut).

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Island Blend: Yea, Mon...Jamaican food!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

A small, casual, cozy place on Main Street. Very friendly service and enormous portions!

Besides being a great restaurant for authentic Jamaican food, they also have a "Caribbean Dance Party" on Friday nights, 11pm - 3am (21+)

Favorite Dish: I had the Jerk Chicken and it was good, but my husband had the curried goat and it was DIVINE!!! Also had a big side of Callaloo (greens) that were quite good. To wash it down, you gotta have a Red Stripe beer, of course ~ or, for a very refreshing, non-alcoholic drink, have the coconut water (very heart-healthy!)

Hours: Monday - Wednesday, 11a - 9pm; Thursday - Friday, 11a - 9pm; Saturday, 11a - 10pm. Closed Sundays.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Overlook Grill: outdoor dining with a view

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

This place overlooks the Falls Park on the Reedy River, hence the name, "Overlook Grill." On a sunny day, there is nothing better than sitting outside and enjoying a simple (and delicious) meal while listening to the sound of the rushing waterfall, birds and families playing in the park.

Surprisingly reasonable for a restaurant with prime real estate! After a stroll in the park, stop in here for lunch, dinner, drinks or dessert. Children's menu offered, as well as daily specials.

Friendly and accommodating wait staff.

Place fills up quickly. The best time to go, when the weather is PERFECT (and everyone else will want to dine here), is promptly at 11am. By 11:30, the place is pretty packed ~ but definitely worth any wait there might be.

Hours: Lunch 11a - 3pm (7 days a week) and dinner Tuesday - Thursday, 4 - 9pm; Friday & Saturday 4 - 9:30pm

Favorite Dish: Shrimp & Grits!!! Even if you aren't a person that normally eats grits (like my NY husband), you'll love this dish. Spicy, with a nice kick. Jambalaya also very delicious.

Mellow Mushroom: Happy Hour @ 4:20

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

This place is great fun ~ casual, stoner's paradise (can I say that here?) Amazing, hand-tossed, stone-baked pizzas, enormous & healthy salads, hoagies...fresh ingredients...a great place for vegetarians and meat-lovers like. Very kid-friendly. Great selection of microbrews ~ and happy hour begins at 4:20pm every day...i'm just sayin'! Pie made with love.

And you HAVE to check out their website because it is a total trip!

Favorite Dish: Jerk Chicken pizza ~ not as spicy as the menu lets on, but very tasty. Lots of terrific salads and their hummus dip is incredible (a feast in itself!). Ask for their very own Esperanza dressing on your salad.

Thai Restaurant: Put this on the "No Go" List

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Oct 16, 2007

Ok, not such a creative name for the restaurant ~ just "Thai Restaurant" but we thought we'd give it a try. Our first idea was to go to Lemongrass on Main St., but it looked a little "too nice" for my mood (I was feeling grungy). Now I am wishing that we had.

This place was "okay" at best. No vegetarian dishes, although most of them could be made with tofu. I was in the mood for a good tofu salad, but was out of luck. I had the standard Red Curry with Tofu and the taste was good, but this is a simple dish that is hard to screw up. My husband was a bit more adventurous, ordering the #S-3 Pia Jiean (a pan-fried fillet of fish with fresh ginger, minced pork, celery, onions and mushrooms). He said it was hardly edible ~ way too much fish sauce, overpowering all of the other flavors and making it just way too salty.

Next time, we'll go to Lemongrass, instead.

Favorite Dish: The appetizer we had was actually pretty good: a sampler of fried spring rolls (not the best), chicken satay (very tasty), fried curry (delightful), dumplings (quite good) and fried tofu (which was excellent).

Instant Answers: Greenville

Comments

Greenville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Greenville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Greenville sightseeing.