Greenville Restaurants

Pho Ga (take-out)
    by SpaceCoastMomma

Best Rated Restaurants in Greenville

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Larkin's on the River: Go in a Small Group...

by ATXtraveler Written May 4, 2007

Let me preface this review by saying that I dislike eating dinner at a group function with 20+ people if you really want to enjoy your food. There is just no way for you to mass produce 20 steaks that all come out at exactly the same time and have people all be satisfied. Especially when the person next to me orders his steak medium well (read: shoe leather).

Larkin's on the River is consistently voted as one of the best steakhouses in South Carolina. In my opinion, this should be revoked based on the steak I had. When a person asks for his steak rare, give it to him rare. If it is too rare, he will send it back. My steak was definitely past medium, but as mentioned above... I am sure they did the best they can due to the circumstances. The overall taste of the meat was fine, but would be only an average score in Texas. I actually have tasted better at Cheddar's a mass produced steak place across the country.

Ambience: Not so much for me. I was slightly disappointed that they stuck our group in an upstairs abandoned warehouse while we were paying good dollars for dinner, yet people in smaller parties had all of the great views of the river and a nice outdoor setting. I was also deeply saddened by having metal conference room chairs at such a "fine dining" establishment. If you are going to charge what they charged for dinner, please include good seating.

Dessert: Luckily for Larkin's they finished the meal with an excellent cheesecake. It had a little spice to it, which made it the highlight of the meal. I really would have liked to have this after a great steak, however it did bring my overall perception of the restaurant up a notch.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Salsarita's

by frankcanfly Written Aug 10, 2004

A great little counter-service Mexican place on main street.

They make it in front of you, as you choose the specific ingredients in your Burritto/Taco/whatever.

Favorite Dish: I had a Chicken Burrito, with plenty of Black Beans! Yummy.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Luna Rosa: Gelato Cafe: not ONLY the BEST gelato!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Apr 4, 2008

This is a new place that opened in February 2008. The owner is a very friendly & helpful guy that truly loves what he does and it is apparent.

The absolute MOST DELICIOUS and GORGEOUS gelato you've ever seen...and all of it made frsh daily!

Besides gelato, this place also offers a limited but tasty menu of salads, paninis, pizza and soups, with daily specials.

Favorite Dish: Lemon gelato was tart, sweet and refreshing after walking around in the sun all day. Raspberry was also delicious, as was the Donacello (milk chocolate w/ hazelnut).

• Hiking and Walking

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Handi Indian Cuisine: Divine!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Sep 13, 2007

Contemporary, relaxed atmosphere with an excellent wait staff. Nice ambiance. We were there during their "grand opening" as this is a new restaurant downtown ~ opened in August 2007.

We dined early and people were dressed very casually ~ shorts, hats, etc. and other diners had children with them. Dining later in the evening, however, I'd recommend less casual attire as it is a white tablecloth restaurant and the staff was dressed less casually. Great date restaurant. Cozy, romantic tables.

We ordered a variety of appetizers and entrees and shared it all. Absolute best Aloo Ghobi I've ever had. Nan was perfect. The Samosas we ordered, as an appetizer, were served with the most delicious plum sauce ~ it was truly divine.

Favorite Dish: Best Aloo Ghobi ever. Perfect Nan. Samosas with plum sauce as an appetizer were exquisite. The Saag Goshti (lamb & spinach) was incredible!

• House Of Chan: Chinese............??????

by kelly65 Written Feb 19, 2009

States on advertisements that it delivers downtown.........NOT....I called to place an order to be delivered to the Hyatt. They stated OH the traffic would be to bad. Not Good business at all. False advertisement.

Kelly.,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Still Hungry

Pho Noodleville: Excellent, Inexpensive & Casual

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Aug 28, 2007
    Pho Ga (take-out)

Casual-dining, small place that doesn't look like much ~ but is a great little place for delicious Vietnamese food. Great menu. Dine-in or take-out.

Favorite Dish: The absolute best fried Spring rolls ~ to die for! Also, their Pho Ga (Chicken Vermicelli soup) is a huge bounty of food and very healthy!

Little Pigs: Southern BBQ

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Aug 28, 2007

Casual place to pig-out when you need a good old-fashioned BBQ fix! Hours are M - F 10:30a - 8pm and Sat 11a - 4pm. Dine-in, take-out and catering available.

Favorite Dish: Daily specials. Cheap, cheap, cheap and yummy, yummy, yummy!!!

Cheeseburger in Paradise: Casual & Kid-friendly

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Sep 13, 2007

About 5+ miles from downtown. We were there for a late lunch on a Saturday. They had live music that consisted of one man with his acoustic guitar ~ and, if you close your eyes, you'd swear it was Jimmy Buffet. (and he wasn't too loud, which was perfect)

Let me say right now that I'm not a big Jimmy Buffet fan, but this place was exactly what we were looking for ~ a casual place where we could grab a quick bite with our toddler. The staff was extremely friendly & welcoming ~ and they were great with kids. They even brought out a secret stash of toys for the kids next to us (one of which was having a total meltdown and the father was beside himself).

The food was good ~ nothing too exciting, just your normal hamburger, fries, etc. I ordered a Caribbean Sandwich ~ not sure what exactly they called it ~ it was Jamaican Jerk Chicken on Chiabatta bread with Swiss Cheese. My toddler liked it better than the grilled cheese we ordered him from the Little Pirates menu.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Fried Green Tomato: One Could Eat Here Every Day!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Oct 2, 2007

A friend of mine does actually eat here just about every day...and one could very easily, seeing as they change their menu items daily. This is a great place with a casual, kid-friendly wait staff. A popular place with business-folks, too. Yummy Southern cooking. Fried green tomatoes are delicious but so are all of their other fine offerings, which change daily...including fried okra, greens, slaw, potatoes every which way they come, chicken pot pie, fried chicken, green beans ~ the usual Southern flare.

Favorite Dish: Chicken & Rice! Also, the fried green tomatoes are a must-try!

Gene's Restaurant: Grungy, Smoky & Poor Service

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Oct 6, 2007

I have to preface this review by first saying that I truly enjoy the local "Ma & Pa" dives...the places with character, where the locals eat.

When we drove by this place, we thought it looked really promising ~ an old vintage sign out front and lots of cars in the parking lot. And it looked like a total dive.

Unfortunately, we were both completely disappointed. First of all, the "smoking section" was the first part of the restaurant and we were forced to walk through the haze with our toddler, in order to get to the larger "non-smoking section." Not a huge deal, but it did STINK.

The service was extremely slow. I suspected that they had forgotten our order altogether as people that arrives after us were already half-way through their meal while we still waited for ours.

Then the food came and it sucked. My eggs were overdone, my grits were soupy and my biscuit was cold and as dry as cardboard.

My husband carried my son outside, while I stood to pay, so we didn't have to subject him to all of the smoke ~ and by the time I was done paying, my chest hurt. Yuck.

I'm all for the local dives, but this one just doesn't cut it. Keep on driving and eat at Tommy's Country Ham House instead!

Favorite Dish: I will not eat here again.

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Wild Wing Cafe: Lotsa Wings!

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Oct 6, 2007

We sat outside on a nice day, so I can't speak on the atmosphere inside the place. However, the wings were great! TONS and TONS and TONS of different flavors to choose from. I had the "Pollo Loco" wings, with a honey-lime-cilantro sauce...incredible! My husband had the "Garlic! Garlic! Garlic" version, and it was good, too.

Thirty-three different flavors: Everything from not-spicy-at-all to remove-a-layer-of-your-throat hot, and everything in between.

Favorite Dish: "Pollo Loco" wings with honey-lime-cilantro sauce!

Thai Restaurant: Put this on the "No Go" List

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Oct 16, 2007

Ok, not such a creative name for the restaurant ~ just "Thai Restaurant" but we thought we'd give it a try. Our first idea was to go to Lemongrass on Main St., but it looked a little "too nice" for my mood (I was feeling grungy). Now I am wishing that we had.

This place was "okay" at best. No vegetarian dishes, although most of them could be made with tofu. I was in the mood for a good tofu salad, but was out of luck. I had the standard Red Curry with Tofu and the taste was good, but this is a simple dish that is hard to screw up. My husband was a bit more adventurous, ordering the #S-3 Pia Jiean (a pan-fried fillet of fish with fresh ginger, minced pork, celery, onions and mushrooms). He said it was hardly edible ~ way too much fish sauce, overpowering all of the other flavors and making it just way too salty.

Next time, we'll go to Lemongrass, instead.

Favorite Dish: The appetizer we had was actually pretty good: a sampler of fried spring rolls (not the best), chicken satay (very tasty), fried curry (delightful), dumplings (quite good) and fried tofu (which was excellent).

• Larkin's on the River: Great Steaks & Delicious Seafood

by Chefboz Written Jun 18, 2007

Larkin's on the River has always served delicious Steak & seafood! - As the Restaurants Popularity has increased service has continually improved and maintained an even pace with the restaurants growth! The bone-in Filet is the best I've seen in Greenville!

Their award wining wine list is incredible with wines that you don't see everywhere - but each it seems from their servers with its own story

Favorite Dish: Bone in Filet is one of a kind! - The Center Cut Filet Mignon has more flavor than any I've had! - Great Sea Bass As well!

• Wine Tasting

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Tsunami: Four stars with a caveat

by deebum25 Written May 25, 2012

Companion and I stopped into Tsunami on the recommendation of another tripadvisor member and because we love sushi. We were seated promptly but when I requested a table against the wall instead of in the middle aisle (there weren't many people there, it was 7 on a Sunday) it seemed to cause mass confusion among the service staff.
    Don't get me wrong, I am a line cook in a restaurant for a reason, and that is because I love hospitality. I was a server (and a very good one) for 8 months before I graduated from CA school and became a line cook, and I love what I do. What happened next perplexed my companion and I greatly. We SAT. And SAT. And SAT. People were seated after us and served. We had menus and not so much as a sip of water which thank goodness the servers at my restaurant are trained to notice. TWENTY minutes later I caught one of the very cute servers and very nicely told her that I didn't think that we had been assigned a server. She promised to rectify the situation and within minutes a young lady appeared to take our drink orders. As we had been sitting for a while when our server appeared we were definitely ready to order but she approached our table with a rather brusque, "Has anybody taken your drink orders yet?" to which she didn't wait for an answer and disappeared for another ten minutes. Since another young lady had already taken our drink order, luckily I had vodka to soothe my nerves although I will say that the cucumber martini while a bargain at $7 and was quite tasty was served in a WARM footed glass. REALLY? Martinis should be served ice cold but I was no longer in the mood to say much of anything.
    Shaking it off because I was on my first vacation in two years and really wanted to enjoy this place, Ashley (I found out her name because it was printed on the receipt) came back and commented that she was very sorry about the mixup, it was the hostess' fault. I told her that I appreciated her acknowledging our slow service but I see from other reviews that it wasn't just me which makes me feel much better. On to the food!
    It was EXCELLENT. We had the tuna tartare to start which came out on a bed of shredded cabbage with paper thin cucumber and lemon slices. Companion loved it and dove in. Very nicely spiced but creamier than I like which is on me. My bf LOVED it. Next was veggie fried rice (apparently the servers bring out dishes when they're done) but that was fine with me as it was fresh, chewy in a good way and the vegs were still crunchy. Companion had the City Roll and I had the Red Devil Roll and they were both excellent. Companion had the Tamago roll as well and although he liked it, cold seasoned eggs I was okay without. I've had Tamago before at room temp and that was fine. We were planning on having gelato for dessert at Luna so we figured it was time to leave. I did tip 20 percent because Ashley NoName was polite enough to apologize but....get some real servers and do your customers a favor to make this a truly wonderful experience. Please.

Favorite Dish: Red Devil Roll. I don't have a description of it because it was new to the menu, but don't hesitate to order it!

• Gay and Lesbian

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Larkin's On the River: Best Fine Dining I've Had In a While

by deebum25 Written May 25, 2012

Stopped in on a Monday night on the recommendation of a friend of mine who works in a restaurant kitchen as I do. Companion who is also a cook and I weren't sure whether or not this place would be busy on a Monday night, but were they! By the time we ordered appetizers every seat was filled. We were greeted enthusiastically at the door by the hostess and the maitre'd, both attired impeccably, and without a reservation seated within 5 minutes at a banquette. Yes we missed the river view and it was a gorgeous night outside but we had also failed to make a reservation so our fault.
    We were started off by our server, a lovely young lady whose name I believe was Karen. This is not a bad thing that I don't recall her name as her service was so highly unobtrusive that twice during the meal when she delivered a steak knife for me and again when she crumbed the table and again when she delivered our sides for our entrees I did not even notice her. As we know one of the hallmarks of fine service is its unobtrusiveness and this young lady was very very very good.
    On to the food, we were first treated to an amuse bouche of shrimp cocktail on a cucumber sliver with cocktail sauce. It was okay but definitely whetted the appetite. I had a $7 Smirnoff martini with olives (bless her heart, Karen knew that I wasn't that particular about martini vodka but she was very perceptive when it came to wine) that was terrific, fresh and very cold the way a martini should be. Companion had water and no complaints.
    First course was she crab soup which was chunky and creamy with a good crab flavor. Only complaint was one that I see in the restaurant where I work which was small pieces of shell get into the dish and you have to overlook them. Companion had the house salad with creamy balsamic vinaigrette which was a nice large plate of fresh mixed greens with a shiny vin that wasn't too heavy and didn't weigh the salad down.
    Having heard Karen talk of the steaks, that was all I wanted so I settled on the 28 oz ribeye knowing that I would not eat it all but hearing her speak of the aging process (28 days I believe it was after a martini) and realizing that the beef was so good that I could have it rare made the decision for me. A side of broccolini (long stemmed broccoli) and parmesan white truffle oil french fries (YUMMY! but could be a meal in themselves) completed my selection. Companion had sea bass with shrimp sofrito served with what appeared to be a beurre blanc and fresh spinach leaves. And what can I say except that this portion of the meal was outstanding. Steak perfectly cooked, enough for two, sides very nicely done, broccolini spicy with white wine, salt and pepper, and the truffle fries are, excuse my dramatics, to die for. Which you might if your cardiologist finds out you ate them. Crunchy, salty, cheesy, wonderful! Companion's sea bass was perfectly seared and the sofrito had a fresh taste that lent elevation to the dish. A glass of red wine for me, water for companion, too stuffed for dessert but having THOROUGHLY enjoyed Larkin's we will definitely return again. Dinner for two with wine and cocktails was $128.
    A note to whoever is interested: this is fine dining. Do not bring us your acid washed jeans, your ball caps turned backwards, or your tube tops. Dress appropriately.

Favorite Dish: Toss up between the steak and the sea bass. The fish was seared perfectly, buttery and tender. The steak was a marvel. Seasoned to perfection and grilled to rare (which I'm sure the grill person appreciated, well done steaks are a horror when they are that size) it sliced with one cut from the steak knife and melted in your mouth. I am not ashamed to say that I took home a doggie bag that went nowhere near the dog.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Greenville

Comments

Greenville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Greenville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Greenville sightseeing.