Hilton Head Island Restaurants

Sunset View from Table
    by hhitraveler
    Bob's Mini English Walnut Sundae ($4.00)
    by grandmaR
    Quarterdeck Restaurant
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Restaurants in Hilton Head Island

• Thomps's Profile Photo

Vassili's: The early Dinner specials are a great value!

by Thomps Written May 20, 2008

There are many places to eat on the island. Many offer good food at reasonable prices. Some are "tourist traps." This restaurant categorizes itself as a "Mediterranean Tavern" but it is much more. They offer a wide selction of seafood, pasta, meats, and traditonal Greek fare. Most entrees come with soup or salad, bread, and choice of two sides.

The service is prompt, courteous, friendly, and professional. The atmosphere is soothing and peaceful; exactly right for a relaxing meal. There are no television sets staring back at you and no loud background music. Diners can actually carry on a coversation without shouting at each other!

The "early bird" specials, served from 5-6 pm, are an excellent value for the price (about $16.00 plus tax). I recently had the chicken marsala. It came with a glass of wine, bread, soup or salad, and sides. The portion was huge! The chicken was not tough and the sauce was excellent.

Living here, we have lots of choices for where to go to eat. This is one of our favorites.

• Business Travel

• Crab Shack: Blue crabs near Hilton Head

by madiVT93 Written Mar 28, 2008

I haven't called any fish markets, yet, for live or steamed blue crabs. I have, however, found a restaurant in the Tybee Island area which is about a 55 mile drive from Hilton Head. They serve blue crabs by the dozen. Looks like a fun place, too. To me, it's definitely worth the drive for a great dinner of crabs. It's called The Crab Shack. Here's a link to their site: http://www.thecrabshack.com

Still searching on Hilton Head island though.

• A&STravelers's Profile Photo

Smokehouse BBQ: Not At All Professional

by A&STravelers Written Jun 11, 2007

Upon entering we were told to seat ourselves and did so. It took 5 minutes for a server to ask us what we would like to drink. It took 15 minutes for a server to take our order and we were even more frustrated that they served three tables that came in after us first (although we were sitting ready with our menus closed). The service was terrible. They didn’t take our empty dishes - even when we asked them to. They served us the wrong drinks - Diet Coke - although no one at our table with a soda had ordered diet. When we ordered we asked for our checks to be split up. We received the check after walking up to the counter to request it. Of course, it was not split as requested. The server then said "I have to be honest with you. It is going to take at least 15-20 minutes for me to split the check. Cant you pay together?" I then said "If we could, we wouldn’t have requested it separate to begin with." He then told us to write down how we wanted it split, giving us nothing to write with! The server didn’t even bring us the to go boxes we requested and we asked for them twice! To top it off, when we were paying, we realized they so graciously tipped themselves 18% on our checks since we split it two ways. I know they were very busy and obviously understaffed and we were patient because of this. However, they did all this with rolling of the eyes and completely rude behavior. Good food - too frustrating.

Favorite Dish: Good food, like I said...pulled pork was delicious.

• THE SMOKE HOUSE: DO EAT THE RIBS OR THE WINGS

by Rtimbo Written May 7, 2007

THIS RESTAURANT WAS TERRIBLE WE WENT AND WAITED FOR 1 HOUR AND 15 MINUTES AFTER BEING TOLD 15 MINUTES.

THEY RAN OUT OF RIBS AT 8:30 DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU WANT A GOOD MEAL....

THE GOOD WE DID HAVE WAS COLD!! THEY DID NOT OFFER TO BUY US ANYTHING AND NEVER APOLOGIZED THE THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE....

THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO EAT FOR A HOT MEAL AND IT WAS A DIRTY PLACE TO EAT....

Favorite Dish: NO GOOD DISHES AT THE SMOKEHOUSE THEY WERE EITHER OUT OF FOOD OR WHEN IT WAS SERVED IT WAS COLD AND THE PLACE WAS NOT CLEAN !!!

DIRTY PLACE AND I WILL REPORT IT TO THE BOARD OF HEALTH....

• The Smokehouse: Smokehouse

by Rtimbo Written May 7, 2007

This restaurant was the worst I have ever been at in 50 years!!! They told us 10 minutes and it was 1hour!!! They ran out of RIBS!! No RIBS CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?? THE WINGS WERE OVERCOOKED AND THE SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE!!

DO NOT GO HERE FOR A DINNER OR LUNCH IT IS TERRIBLE!!!

Favorite Dish: THE PULLED PORK WAS COLD AND OVERDONE AND THE BEER WAS WARM.... DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT IF YOU WANT A WARM MEAL AND YOU WILL NOT SIT FOR 1 HOUR ....

Fast Food under Wraps: No Golden Arches

by grandmaR Updated Mar 2, 2007

There ARE fast food restaurants on Hilton Head, but it will be a problem to find them because the sign restrictions are so strict.

I have pictures of signs for McDonalds 843-522-9824, Wendys 843-815-3097, Subway, Hardees and

Arby's
    1018 William Hilton Pkwy. · Hilton Head Island
    843-842-2165 ·

Other places in no particular order are:

Panini's Cafe

Dairy Queen 843-525-6760

Huddle House 843-524-5891

Moes Southwest Grill 843-785-6130

Taco Bell (843) 524-4191

Can you see the McDonald's sign? The Subway sign is one of those here Hardees Arby's Wendy's

• tapas restaurant: Our absolute favorite restaurant

by coletteann Written Jan 24, 2007

We loved, loved, loved this restaurant. It was totally different from the run of the mill tourist traps on the island. It's located in the Northridge Plaza with Cinema 10, their main movie theatre. They have a huge menu and every dish is prepared fresh. Really cute "island casual"
    decor with a full bar and very nice wine list. The chef/owner, Ardis Matthews was featured in Bon Appetit Magazine and her sauces are just amazing. Everything we tried was so delicious.
    The service was prompt and friendly and they had a kid's menu too. Our son is a bit of a gourmand and insisted on ordering off the main menu. He had coconut shrimp with this great pineapple dipping sauce (the best I've ever tasted) and potstickers with a spicy ginger garlic sauce. The menu features every kind of seafood and meat you can think of prepared in the style of cuisines from all over the world. There were so many dishes to try that we decided to go back the next night!!!! We've traveled all over the world but, I would eat there every night, if I could.

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the wild porcini mushroom ravioli, the almond encrusted tuna with honey, ginger dipping sauce, venison with cranberry port wine sauce and the shrimp and scallops annalisa in lobster sauce. The black diamond filet mignon was terrific too. Each dish was tremendous.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• VirtualAmy's Profile Photo

Tapas Restaurant: Unique Dining Experience - Great Food!

by VirtualAmy Updated Dec 20, 2006

I loved this restaurant! It was recommended to me by locals of Hilton Head Island. Tapas refers to appetizers and snacks. The concept of this dining experience is to share an assortment of appetizers with your group. They offer an ecletic assortment of delicious food. The "She Crab Soup" was my favorite. The restaurant is located in the Northridge plaza off Hwy 278. The ambience is very friendly and inviting. The owners of the restaurant mingled with their customers and the staff was attentive.

• Women's Travel

Resort at Sea Pines Restaurant: Stick with Burgers and Fries

by CristinaMIA Written Jul 13, 2006

This restaurant was adjacent to our hotel/condo. My overall opnion of this place is that it is convenient if you are staying at the hotel next door. I wouldn't recommend seafood here. Its more a place to go for drinks and pizza, burgers, etc. I would go back to this place to grab a frozen drink and eat burger but I wouldn't recommend it as a "seafood restaurant". The VIEW is amazing here as you can watch the sea from every table and you are outside. Every night they have live music. NOTE the bar closes at like 9:30!! So get there early with a deck of cards, sip a pina colada and relax!

Favorite Dish: We got the calamari which was not fresh, I got the peel and eat shrimp which weren't impressive and my sister got the coconut shrimp, which was TINY. The food quality and sizes were not worth the price.

• Beaches

Steamer: Fresh CRABS!!!

by CristinaMIA Written Jul 13, 2006

Delicious is the word to describe our experience at Steamer. We had great food, great weather live music and a picture to remember the whole thing by!

Favorite Dish: We all started off with Calamari as an appetizer. It was fresh and tasted great. My mom had the house cabernet which was excellent and I had a glass of the house chardonnay which was delicous and refreshing. For dinner, my sister and I ate a pound of crabs each...it was amazing but I thought we would explode from the shear volume of the whole thing. We actually took food home and spread cream cheese on thin crackers and laid the crab on the top for appetizer's the next night. We had the Shecrab soup which was wonderful. The whole night we were fortunate to listen to Todd Cowart, who did a great job at keeping us entertained. At the end of the night, we even got our pic taken to remember the experience.

• Women's Travel

The Crazy Crab: Food Equals that of Red Lobster

by CristinaMIA Written Jul 13, 2006

I wasn't super impressed with this restaurant. When I thought Hilton Head I thought super fresh seafood with amazing flavor. What I found here was restaurant chain quality seafood equivalent to that of Red Lobster. Granted, the food was decent and cheap (we went for lunch) but definitely not the best that Hilton Head has to offer. The service was excellent and the location was convenient for us (Harbour Town).

Favorite Dish: I ate the broiled platter, my sister ate the fried shrimp, my little sister ate chicken fingers and my mom ate the stuffed flounder. All in all, I think my dish was the best, however it was nothing to write home about.

Fitzgeralds Restaurant: Early Bird

by grandmaR Updated Jun 16, 2006

Fitzgerald's, possibly the Islands oldest restaurant, has announced they will close as of November 27 , 2005

Favorite Dish: We had dinner at Fitzgeralds in February 2005- the $12.95 Early Bird Special if you were seated before 6. I picked them rather than the Red Fish which also has specials because Bob said the seafood he'd had was doing bad things to his intestinal tract and I thought Red Fish would be mostly fish.

And then he got the lobster anyway. I got the prime rib. We could also have had veal picatta or cornmeal encrusted salmon among other main dishes. We each got rice and broccoli/cauliflower with our meal.

It would have been a very reasonable meal, except we each got dessert. Bob got the Mini English Walnut Sundae for $4, and I got the Chocolate Fudge Crepe Sundae, which was the same thing (vanilla ice cream with walnuts and fudge) except that there were TWO scoops of ice cream which were wrapped in a crepe, and it was $5.95. I was vacillating between that and the bread pudding with peaches in it for $6.95.

Total including tax and tip was $46.10.

Chocolate Fudge Crepe Sunday ($5.95) Inside Fitzgeralds, with stained glass sign inset Bob's lobster with part of $12.95 Early Bird Speci My 8 oz Prime Rib Au Jus with brocolli and rice Bob's Mini English Walnut Sundae ($4.00)

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Charlie's L'Etoile Verte: For wine aficionados

by skywalkerbeth Written Jan 8, 2006

excellent ambiance. combination of classy sit down restaurant and homey lounge - big overstuffed leather chairs and sofa in the lounge/bar area, lots of photos, a fabulous place to sit with a book and a glass of wine before dinner. On my first trip to HHI I did just that - plunked down with a book. like sitting in your own sumptuous living room.

Favorite Dish: fabulous wine list. It has been written up in Wine Spectator as a matter of fact.

Steamers Seafood Company: On the Pond

by grandmaR Updated Sep 18, 2005

We walked across the street to a place called Steamers for dinner. They said it would be 20 minutes wait for a no smoking section table, and 15 minutes for smoking (it WAS about 6:30 on Saturday night). I asked about the restaurant on the other side, and the guy said that there was only one waiter over there and he was really tied up. I asked if that was a new kinky way to wait tables, and he just kind of looked at me.

I asked if we could just sit at the bar and eat, and he said yes.

Favorite Dish: We ordered root beer (would have felt strange about sitting at the bar and drinking water - almost as bad as a distant cousin of my mom's who when a date took her to "The Block" in Baltimore (think strippers), ordered milk at a bar).

I got a salad and a plate of grits, and Bob got a dozen oysters and some steamed shrimp. It took us about half an hour to get served, and by that time people were stacked up waiting for tables.

Bob again complained about the oysters not being cut out of the shell and he said the shrimp were undercooked and didn't come out of their shells very well. I was happy with what I ordered. Total was $35.75 after they applied the discount for being at Sea Crest.

Before we were allowed 5 photos for a tip, I had edited the picture I took of the bar with an inset of the oysters. Now that we are allowed to have 5, I've given the oysters a photo of their own.

Since then I have read several scathing reviews of Steamers - in one case the person was given soup and no spoon, nor could any spoons be found in the place. They suggested that the person use his chips to scoop up the soup.

Bob's Oysters on the Half Shell Bar with inset of oysters (Original photo edit) My grits My salad with the dressing on the side Bob's steamed shrimp
    • Golf
    • Eco-Tourism

The Smokehouse: Lost in the Dark

by grandmaR Updated Sep 18, 2005

We had dinner at the Smokehouse - it was across the street from our condo, but we had a bit of difficulty getting there because Bob did not think that he could go into the driveway directly across from us and instead we ended up wandering around in the dark until we came out on the same street again.

We had to wait a little while for a table. While we were waiting the man in front of me was discussing his golf game that day. He said there was a foursome of women in front of him, which was playing slowly and they stayed together and talked the whole time (i.e. they didn't each go to their ball to play it, but went to the first ball in a group etc.). He said they were as rude as they could be, but he didn't want to say anything to them because he didn't know who they might be. I thought this was strange.

Favorite Dish: I had a bowl of Brunswick stew and the pulled pork sandwich. Other possible soups were Smokehouse chili and chicken and corn soup. All the soups were $3.95. Several salads were also available.

Other sandwiches included Sliced or Chopped Beef Brisket, Smoked Turkey & Bacon, Memphis Cheese Steak, Fried Catfish, and Spicy Smoked Sausage. All the sandwiches were served with French Fries, and they all cost between $5.95 and $6.95

Bob had a half bbq chicken, and he took the breast of the chicken home for lunch. All the Smokehouse Specialties are served with a choice of two sides. Bob got red rice and cole slaw, and gave me the cole slaw and ate my fries. The price on the picture of his chicken is for a chicken breast alone, and not for a half chicken.

Other specialies included Baby Back Ribs (full $20.95/half $11.95), Pulled Pork BBQ Plate ($9.95), Texas Brisket Plate ($11.95), Smoked Half Chicken ($10.95), Grilled Pork Chop($13.95), Fried Catfish ($11.95), BBQ Shrimp or Fried Shrimp (both $15.95), Kansas Strip ($17.95) and several combos such as Chcken and Ribs $13.95, Shrimp and Ribs ($14.95), Pulled Pork and Ribs ($13.95) and the Smokehouse Plate which was pulled pork, sliced beef brisket, smoked chicken and ribs for $16.95.

Sides choices in addition to red rice, cole slaw and fries included corn on the cob, potato salad, mac-n-cheese, baked potato and grilled veggies (pepper, onions, zucchini and squash). Most of these were $1.50 to $2.00, but the grilled veggies were $2.50.

The total was $25.04 including tip.

Brunswick Stew ($3.95) Bob's 1/2 BBQ chicken with fries and rice Pulled Pork BBQ ($5.95) and Cole Slaw ($1.50) Front and back of the menu Inside of the Smokehouse
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Hilton Head Island

Comments

Hilton Head Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hilton Head Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hilton Head Island sightseeing.

View all Hilton Head Island hotels