Hilton Head Island Restaurants

Sunset View from Table
    by hhitraveler
    Bob's Mini English Walnut Sundae ($4.00)
    by grandmaR
    Quarterdeck Restaurant
    by grandmaR

Best Rated Restaurants in Hilton Head Island

Crazy Crab: Two Locations

by grandmaR Updated Apr 1, 2005

Ladies Room door sign

I thought we might have dinner at the Sunset Grill at the Outdoor Resorts where we ate on the way down in 2000. But it isn't the Outdoor Resorts anymore - now the RV part is apparently a condo, and the Sunset Grill was not open on Monday. I should have remembered that, but I didn't

So I took some pictures and we went back to the Crazy Crab for dinner - the one that is next to the museum (there are two - the other one is at Harbor Town). I had a coupon from one of the local free guides for 20% off all the food. We were in time for the sunset, which we could sort of see behind some trees.

Favorite Dish: Bob had steamed shrimp with corn on the cob and a baked potato. He said the shrimp were cooked better than at Steamers. I had a combination plate - blackened mahi, a crab cake, two shrimp, a baked potato and string beans and carrots. I could not finish it all so brought some of the fish home. Total was $32.89 after the 20% discount..

• Adventure Travel

• tapas restaurant: Our absolute favorite restaurant

by coletteann Written Jan 24, 2007

We loved, loved, loved this restaurant. It was totally different from the run of the mill tourist traps on the island. It's located in the Northridge Plaza with Cinema 10, their main movie theatre. They have a huge menu and every dish is prepared fresh. Really cute "island casual"
    decor with a full bar and very nice wine list. The chef/owner, Ardis Matthews was featured in Bon Appetit Magazine and her sauces are just amazing. Everything we tried was so delicious.
    The service was prompt and friendly and they had a kid's menu too. Our son is a bit of a gourmand and insisted on ordering off the main menu. He had coconut shrimp with this great pineapple dipping sauce (the best I've ever tasted) and potstickers with a spicy ginger garlic sauce. The menu features every kind of seafood and meat you can think of prepared in the style of cuisines from all over the world. There were so many dishes to try that we decided to go back the next night!!!! We've traveled all over the world but, I would eat there every night, if I could.

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the wild porcini mushroom ravioli, the almond encrusted tuna with honey, ginger dipping sauce, venison with cranberry port wine sauce and the shrimp and scallops annalisa in lobster sauce. The black diamond filet mignon was terrific too. Each dish was tremendous.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

Hofbrauhaus: Early Bird II

by grandmaR Updated Sep 18, 2005

Bob's steak, mashed potatoes and string beans

Since we were at the Coastal Museum at the end of the afternoon, and we finally had a map with all the roads on it, we decided to drive around to check out what was available without going all the way back to the unit.

Favorite Dish: We went to dinner at Hofbrauhaus. This time the early bird special was soup or salad, main dish and dessert. Bob had the salad and I had the soup. Bob had steak, mashed potatoes and string beans, and I had schweiner brauten (pork roast) with mashed potatoes, red cabbage and applesauce. We both had German apple streudel for dessert, and the bill with 6% tax and 15% service charge was $34.05.

The Smokehouse: Lost in the Dark

Brunswick Stew ($3.95)

We had dinner at the Smokehouse - it was across the street from our condo, but we had a bit of difficulty getting there because Bob did not think that he could go into the driveway directly across from us and instead we ended up wandering around in the dark until we came out on the same street again.

We had to wait a little while for a table. While we were waiting the man in front of me was discussing his golf game that day. He said there was a foursome of women in front of him, which was playing slowly and they stayed together and talked the whole time (i.e. they didn't each go to their ball to play it, but went to the first ball in a group etc.). He said they were as rude as they could be, but he didn't want to say anything to them because he didn't know who they might be. I thought this was strange.

Favorite Dish: I had a bowl of Brunswick stew and the pulled pork sandwich. Other possible soups were Smokehouse chili and chicken and corn soup. All the soups were $3.95. Several salads were also available.

Other sandwiches included Sliced or Chopped Beef Brisket, Smoked Turkey & Bacon, Memphis Cheese Steak, Fried Catfish, and Spicy Smoked Sausage. All the sandwiches were served with French Fries, and they all cost between $5.95 and $6.95

Bob had a half bbq chicken, and he took the breast of the chicken home for lunch. All the Smokehouse Specialties are served with a choice of two sides. Bob got red rice and cole slaw, and gave me the cole slaw and ate my fries. The price on the picture of his chicken is for a chicken breast alone, and not for a half chicken.

Other specialies included Baby Back Ribs (full $20.95/half $11.95), Pulled Pork BBQ Plate ($9.95), Texas Brisket Plate ($11.95), Smoked Half Chicken ($10.95), Grilled Pork Chop($13.95), Fried Catfish ($11.95), BBQ Shrimp or Fried Shrimp (both $15.95), Kansas Strip ($17.95) and several combos such as Chcken and Ribs $13.95, Shrimp and Ribs ($14.95), Pulled Pork and Ribs ($13.95) and the Smokehouse Plate which was pulled pork, sliced beef brisket, smoked chicken and ribs for $16.95.

Sides choices in addition to red rice, cole slaw and fries included corn on the cob, potato salad, mac-n-cheese, baked potato and grilled veggies (pepper, onions, zucchini and squash). Most of these were $1.50 to $2.00, but the grilled veggies were $2.50.

The total was $25.04 including tip.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Luxury Travel

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Charlie's L'Etoile Verte: For wine aficionados

by skywalkerbeth Written Jan 8, 2006

excellent ambiance. combination of classy sit down restaurant and homey lounge - big overstuffed leather chairs and sofa in the lounge/bar area, lots of photos, a fabulous place to sit with a book and a glass of wine before dinner. On my first trip to HHI I did just that - plunked down with a book. like sitting in your own sumptuous living room.

Favorite Dish: fabulous wine list. It has been written up in Wine Spectator as a matter of fact.

• Fitzgerald's: Ocean view restaurant

by MandaJ320 Updated May 2, 2004

Ocean View

Fitzgerald's is located in a beachfront family resort, and you can see the beach from the restaurant. You can dine inside or out, and after dinner, you can take a stroll past the pool, and walk on the beach. The restaurant's menu is themed after F. Scott Fitzgerald and his classic books. The food is good, and the atmosphere is classy.

• Sunset Grille: A Culinary "Don't Miss" !!

by aceensor Updated Feb 22, 2004

This in my opion is the "Coup de gras" of the Hilton Head Island restaurants. Save your appetites, because this is truly a treat. The menu isn't huge, but every item is a thing of beauty! I think the prices are very reasonable considering the personal attention and quality of everything involved. Reservations are a must because this is a unique, scenic and private little spot off the local bay. The view is as spectacular as the food, and a window seat or an outdoor table (during the warm months) is a must!

Favorite Dish: The smoked sampler platter is an absolute must. For the entree', there are daily specials and I can't even begin to suggest a favorite - that's to each individual taste. The wine selection is exemplory and the staff is very knowledgeable with great suggestions. Make sure to ask for Robin as your server - it will make your trip complete!

• Business Travel

Hilton Head Diner: Diner for the Locals

by grandmaR Updated Apr 1, 2005

Restaurant from the outside after dark

I wanted to go out to one of the marinas - the one with the big fake lighthouse, but I found that there was an entrance fee to go out there. So we went almost all the way back to the entrance bridge to the island to the Hilton Head Diner.

This was a regular diner with a 10 page menu, and breakfast and lunch are available all day. It was in the AAA book listed as a place locals ate, but wasn't in any of the restaurant recommendations in the local tour books.

Favorite Dish: I got the pot roast special (came with soup or salad and I got the chicken noodle soup), with mashed potatoes and green beans, and Bob got a hamburger. Dinner including tip was $18.84.

• Adventure Travel

Fitzgeralds Restaurant: Early Bird

by grandmaR Updated Jun 16, 2006

Chocolate Fudge Crepe Sunday ($5.95)

Fitzgerald's, possibly the Islands oldest restaurant, has announced they will close as of November 27 , 2005

Favorite Dish: We had dinner at Fitzgeralds in February 2005- the $12.95 Early Bird Special if you were seated before 6. I picked them rather than the Red Fish which also has specials because Bob said the seafood he'd had was doing bad things to his intestinal tract and I thought Red Fish would be mostly fish.

And then he got the lobster anyway. I got the prime rib. We could also have had veal picatta or cornmeal encrusted salmon among other main dishes. We each got rice and broccoli/cauliflower with our meal.

It would have been a very reasonable meal, except we each got dessert. Bob got the Mini English Walnut Sundae for $4, and I got the Chocolate Fudge Crepe Sundae, which was the same thing (vanilla ice cream with walnuts and fudge) except that there were TWO scoops of ice cream which were wrapped in a crepe, and it was $5.95. I was vacillating between that and the bread pudding with peaches in it for $6.95.

Total including tax and tip was $46.10.

• doolemma's Profile Photo

Hudson's on the Docks.: The Island's original seafood house

by doolemma Written Nov 20, 2004

Hudson's is said to be the oldest seafood house on the island. It's been there for more than thirty years. Therefore they must be serving good food. The fishing and shrimping boats pull right up to the docks so you know your getting fresh fish. The sunsets are beautiful.You can also make arrangements right next door at Tammy Jane's, to go out on one of the boats (about $40.00) and share in the catch.

Favorite Dish: The oyster poor-boy was as good as you will get in New Orleans. Also, try the crabmeat stuffed jumbo shrimp.

• doolemma's Profile Photo

THE OLD FORT PUB: HHI most romantic restaurant

by doolemma Written Nov 20, 2004

For a romantic evening

The Old Fort Pub is set in a stand of old live oaks that are draped with spanish moss and it overlooks the inland waterway. Only open from 5 to 10 PM and the dining areas will give you a excellent view of the sunsets.

Favorite Dish: The last time I was here I had a wonderful Oyster Pie. Darn----it has been taken off the menu. This time we started out with the Sour Apple Martini followed by the Pub's classic She Crab Soup. The entrees were swordfish and roasted lamb. Both were excellent and the service was also. Then it was a Creme Brulee and Bread Pudding for dessert.

• phred1910's Profile Photo

The Old Oyster Factory: Great views and great food

by phred1910 Updated Oct 28, 2004

One of my favorite restaurants in the entire world in terms of the view. I will let them describe it:

The Old Oyster Factory is truly a Hilton Head Landmark. Built on the site of one the island's original oyster canneries, this beautiful restaurant serves up nothing but the best seafood, vegetables and steaks. The award-winning architecture affords some of Hilton Head's most beautiful views of Broad Creek with Shelter Cove in the beyond. The culinary staff which is headed by Franz Auer, is preparing dishes which you will talk about for years to come. The Old Oyster Factory is not just another dinner out, it is part of the Hilton Head Island Experience

This restaurant is a can't miss experience on the Island. This coming from someone who has travelled and eaten all over the world.

Favorite Dish: Start out with oysters on the half shell and then scallops for an entree...finish it with an espresso and creme brulee for desert.

Steamers Seafood Company: On the Pond

Bob's Oysters on the Half Shell

We walked across the street to a place called Steamers for dinner. They said it would be 20 minutes wait for a no smoking section table, and 15 minutes for smoking (it WAS about 6:30 on Saturday night). I asked about the restaurant on the other side, and the guy said that there was only one waiter over there and he was really tied up. I asked if that was a new kinky way to wait tables, and he just kind of looked at me.

I asked if we could just sit at the bar and eat, and he said yes.

Favorite Dish: We ordered root beer (would have felt strange about sitting at the bar and drinking water - almost as bad as a distant cousin of my mom's who when a date took her to "The Block" in Baltimore (think strippers), ordered milk at a bar).

I got a salad and a plate of grits, and Bob got a dozen oysters and some steamed shrimp. It took us about half an hour to get served, and by that time people were stacked up waiting for tables.

Bob again complained about the oysters not being cut out of the shell and he said the shrimp were undercooked and didn't come out of their shells very well. I was happy with what I ordered. Total was $35.75 after they applied the discount for being at Sea Crest.

Before we were allowed 5 photos for a tip, I had edited the picture I took of the bar with an inset of the oysters. Now that we are allowed to have 5, I've given the oysters a photo of their own.

Since then I have read several scathing reviews of Steamers - in one case the person was given soup and no spoon, nor could any spoons be found in the place. They suggested that the person use his chips to scoop up the soup.

• Golf
    • Eco-Tourism

Fast Food under Wraps: No Golden Arches

by grandmaR Updated Mar 2, 2007

Can you see the McDonald's sign?

There ARE fast food restaurants on Hilton Head, but it will be a problem to find them because the sign restrictions are so strict.

I have pictures of signs for McDonalds 843-522-9824, Wendys 843-815-3097, Subway, Hardees and

Arby's
    1018 William Hilton Pkwy. · Hilton Head Island
    843-842-2165 ·

Other places in no particular order are:

Panini's Cafe

• stressball's Profile Photo

The Big Bamboo: A great place for Happy Hour

by stressball Updated Mar 6, 2005

The Big Bamboo

A great place to go for happy hour...the Big Bamboo offers 1/2 price margaritas and beer and appetizers until 7pm. The atmosphere is exteremly friendly. It's a 1940's theme restaurant bar....try some of the games to meet some people or just hang out at your table and play...the Jenga is especially fun!

Favorite Dish: Conch fritters

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Hilton Head Island

Comments

Hilton Head Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hilton Head Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hilton Head Island sightseeing.

View all Hilton Head Island hotels